Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Salary information, titles revealed for new Georgia coaches Brandon Streeter, Darrell Dickey

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageSalary information, titles revealed for new Georgia coaches Brandon Streeter, Darrell Dickey

Georgia football got two of its new analysts on the cheap, as the school released the salaries of Brandon Streeter and Darrell Dickey via an open records request.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't have a good gut feel about these two. Feel they are shelving before other opps arrive. Kirby must know what he is doing. You folks may feel differently...so be it.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just two guys down on their luck. Everyone should be so unlucky.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the norm in the coaching world these days. Guys get fired from other schools and if they don't immediately find a good home elsewhere -- and if they can afford it financially -- they latch on at some place like a Georgia or an Alabama as an analyst for a year or two. It helps them stay current around the game and build their resumes until the next "real" gig comes in. I'm sure Kirby gets it and has no problem with it. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. I sort of doubt they’ll be around long. Unless someone already at UGA leaves for whatever reason and gives them a chance to promote from within. But as you said Kirby knows what he’s doing. I’m a little shocked at the what seems to me lower salaries. Gosh they are only making about $35K each per year more than I did on my job I retired from with 25 years service !! Poor, poor pitiful me. 😢

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UGA66

If it helps, Kirby Smart was at UGA, Valdosta State, FSU, LSU, UGA (again), Miami (NFL) and Alabama from 1999 to 2007. That is 7 stops in 9 years. Or 6 stops if you want to count the double dip at UGA.

Yes, these fellows want to be full time position coaches, then coordinators again and then head coaches in the future. Who doesn't want that? Who wants to remain an analyst the rest of their careers? Not much job security there. If the Falcons back up a Brinks - or Home Depot - truck full of cash to Kirby Smart in 2025, will his replacement prioritize retaining a pair analysts?

Yes, these guys want to move onto bigger and better things, just as nearly every assistant worth his salt does. Just as - see above - Smart did earlier in his career, when Alabama was the only spot that he stuck around for more than 2 seasons. Kirby's job is to get the best work out of those guys while he has them, just as the coaches that he worked for during the itinerant stage of his career did (or should have).

I guess you would rather former UGA players get those analyst spots. But UGA already has plenty: a bunch of guys in Smart, Muschamp and Bobo who played for UGA in the 1990s. Add to that Bryan McClendon, who played and coached at UGA during the Richt era (Smart was on Richt's staff in 2005 when McClendon was a senior WR ... good grief the last times UGA won the SEC, Smart was on staff either as an assistant for Richt or as a head coach).

Finally, UGA can use these guys as recruiters. UGA really doesn't consistently recruit well in Texas. Dickey will help in that area. UGA has no pressing need to recruit in Streeter's South Carolina, but Clemson DID to an outstanding job recruiting WRs while he was there - until recently - both guys who were top 150 recruits and under the radar guys. As UGA still hasn't been able to consistently land big time players at that position under Smart, especially out of state guys (Blaylock is from Norcross) that other schools don't back away from due to grades (the case with Pickens) then that might help. Of course, a downfield passing game that big time WRs actually want to play in so it will develop them for the NFL (note that the Chiefs cut Mecole Hardman loose and he wasn't able to get a long term deal anywhere else, just as I predicted) would help even more, but UGA needs all that they can get.

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Do fans feel like the need to know or are owed to know salaries of coaching staffs? Just curious.

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

One day, I would like to learn a bit more about the skill set of a Football team quality control analyst. What exactly is the territory for their position? I come from a seasoned career of quality assurance in the automotive industry, so I would like to know how this discipline is applied to their responsibilities.