Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart Georgia football QB update suggests competition could carry into 2023 season

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart Georgia football QB update suggests competition could carry into 2023 season

ATHENS — Kirby Smart’s latest update on the Georgia football quarterback competition indicates it will be a lengthy one that could trickle into the season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like Kirby is trying to hang onto all his QBs into the season - I certainly can't blame him for that. Also, this tells me that this team with it's surrounding cast of players can weather a QB competition into the season. That's really good news and something many of us already suspected. When you have an embarrassment of riches as the dawgs do, it is a perk to be able to take time and make the good choices and not have to rush things.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

Yep, I called this months ago. The 2023 season sets up very well to continue the QB reps and competition into the season. If no one is separating themselves from the other two then there is no reason to put all your eggs in one basket....yet. If we see any QB enter the portal after May 1st then we'll know even more on how the competition is shaking out behind the scenes.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MontanaDawg @GoodtimeDawg Yep both of y’all are spot on. I’m very greedy about these QBs I hope we can keep all three !! If they are willing to it’s feasible for all three to stay, again IF they are willing to stay and take their chances.

All three of these guys are Very good and would easily hands down be the starter at allot of schools. If one of them decides to depart I sure couldn’t blame them, BUT I guess I’m selfish I want to keep all three.

If you go strictly by time on campus you’d say Stockton goes, but I’ve heard people absolutely rave about this young man and that’s in addition to what I’ve read here on DawgNation !!

On BVG apparently he has tons and tons of potential. He certainly looks the part !! Carson Beck has come on very strong and has the most real game snaps.

These are the things where Kirby and Bobo have to earn their money making these decisions. Glad it’s on them and not me !! At any rate which ever of these guys earns the number one slot, I think will be a very capable QB and leader. We’ll see …..,,,

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia is stacked at multiple positions, not just QB. The good news is that the twos and threes are fully aware that they are playing against, being developed by, and are cared for by the very best, every day... and that is a massive benefit to continuing to chop wood. If you're good enough, you'll eventually get your starts. In the meantime, Athens isn't too shabby of a place to live and go to school while your potential as an elite football player is being fine-tuned. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would be interested to know how high a great CFB QB could be drafted if they were the backup? Of course they all could stay and start one season-assuming Beck doesn’t cash in his Covid card and play a 6th season, does Gunner or BVG have NFL aspirations??

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One has to believe both Gunner and BBG have big time NFL aspirations. I just don't think you can have that kind of history of success, elite skill, and drive, and not have that career squarely in your sights. And, yes, there have been plenty of NFL QBs who only had one highly productive year of college ball. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

it would be interesting if the 3 got together and walked into the coaches office and said….

“Coach, we know you have a tough decision, but stop placating us, either make a decision or we will make it for you. Not that we are leaving, but all three of us are entering the portal to see what options we have available. And we will discuss this as a unit to ensure we all get what we need to succeed at the next level. If you can’t provid a plan and a roadmap for our future, then we’ll just have to do it ourselves.We all really love being part of dawg nation and our desire is to stay here and succeed together”

I know this would never happen. But they gotta feel like they all should be QB1.

And of course, behind closed doors, hard conversations of playing time and succession planning are probably a real thing.

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

No reason to name a starter yet. Let the competition continue as long as needed. Just based on previous remarks Beck may have the edge. But can't discount either Vandagriff or Stockton. Once a starter is named it would be nice to see the backups still get some decent reps in real game action. The schedule early on sets up as a chance to play a number of new guys. QB position should be no different.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"I know this would never happen. But they gotta feel like they all should be QB1.".....Fact of the matter Brooksie, all three could start on any team in America! Another fact is that all three WANT to be DG DAWGS......I've said for months now, in 23 you will see all three start and all three will see meaningful game snaps with Beck & Vandagriff getting the majority. There is simply TOO much talent between the three not to have them all contribute. Given KS's philosophy of putting the player that will give you the best chance to win, and his commitment to see all three get as much experience as possible plus the creativity of MB, I'd bet the ranch on it! GOIN 4 3 N23!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very possible both Griff and Beck start multiple games this year.

If I were a betting man I would put money on Beck starting game 1 and Griff starting game 2.

Then a decision will be made before game 3. Probably Beck but you never know. Because we haven't seen enough of Griff throwing the ball in an actual game it is hard to take him at this point over Beck. Beck's throws just look nice and get there in a hurry which is refreshing.

Should be a fun season with a lot of new names handling the ball.

More excited about the Robinsons toting the rock.