Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Quarterbacks adjusting to Mike Bobo, Brock Bowers a machine, ‘everybody practices at Georgia’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,447 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageQuarterbacks adjusting to Mike Bobo, Brock Bowers a machine, ‘everybody practices at Georgia’

ATHENS — Kirby Smart and his Georgia Bulldogs held their fifth practice of the spring behind locked gates on Saturday, many anticipating the team’s first scrimmage taking place.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Rabid_CanineRabid_Canine Posts: 29 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great write up.

'turnover ratio was one of the few areas where Georgia football did excel in 2022.'

Probably meant 'did not'

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike Bobo starting to look like Jim Chaney! 😂

• Options

@Rabid_Canine Yes! Thank you.... caught it too --- and it's early, but some trends ARE emerging

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Bowers for Heisman"....makes me smile, but alas, there is so much competition out there....mainly from his TEAM mates!!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bowers is deceptively fast. He would make a good RB. Strapping kid. Love his cut and run routine..blows by defenders. If he delivers the stats this year...good chance he will be in the Heisman chase. I know he impresses the NFL scouts. There is nothing rank and file about Bowers....he is elite!

• Options

@GtheGreek Why not Bowers for Heisman, I agree!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bowers, taking nothing away from him because he's a great player, was helped by Washington.

Washington was great too of course, but even I could probably help Bowers as he doesn't need much help.

He could have a Heisman season. Which college player is better than Bowers?

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2023

"He could have a Heisman season. Which college player is better than Bowers?"___JW

Lol...I like the way you think. "Which college player is better than Bowers?"...indeed.

Not trying to take anything away from Washington...but, he wasn't even on the field, when Bowers made his eye-opening debut in 2021. In fact, he saw the field very sparingly, due to various injuries over the last 2 years.

Lol...sorry, Washington gets NO CREDIT for Bowers success. None. In fact, it's more..."the other way around", if you ask me. A lot of Washington's success can be attributed to Bowers.

Defenses spent "part" of the 2021 season and "the whole" of the 2022 season scheming against UGA 's elite TE, Brock Bowers, only to get burned, time and again by Washington or Seither or Fitzpatrick. The "threat of Bowers" opened the door for some of the other guys to walk through.

IF...UGA didn't have a "Brock Bowers"...it's highly likely, that Washington would have had to play hurt, like Bowers did, in 2021 (shoulder injury req. Surgery), risking serious injury. He may have wound up missing more playing time, than he actually did.

You gotta love what all of the TE's are putting on the field in Athens. That's my kind of football. Kirby Smart has taken a position group (TE) and exploited all of the untapped potential, that position has ALWAYS harbored. A TE is a hybrid of the fullback and slot receiver, in today's offenses. Back in the day...the TE was considered a 3rd O-Tackle, that you could occasionally throw the ball to. Lol

• Options

@BigDawg61 I don't think UGA wins either national title without Brock Bowers

IMO, the most irreplaceable player on the offense

• Options
    edited March 2023

It's hard for me to say that about any "one player". IMO...A "Championship" offense requires at least 3 legs to win it all.

That being said...Bowers is one of the 3 legs UGA used to win the last 2 Natty's. The other 2 were, Stetson Bennett, James Cook (21)/Kenny McIntosh (22).

In contrast...the 1980 Dawgs had Herschell Walker, Lindsey Scott and Buck Belue. Yeah, Belue was a much more integral part of that team than he lays claim to.

In both cases, '80 & '21/'22, UGA had a championship defense to hold the line, keep the score low and get the ball back. Not to mention, top notch kicking and Special Teams play.

Above all...UGA doesn't win a Natty without Erk Russell or Kirby Smart. I truly believe that. If you want a blueprint to a great football program...IMO...you have to start with Erk Russell...end with Kirby Smart...with the likes of Bill Belichick, Vince Dooley and Nick Saban sandwiched between. Each one of those guys had an influence on one or more of the others. UGA is very fortunate to have had some of them.

If you're not familiar...Check out what Erk Russell did, to create a Championship Program from scratch, when he left UGA to accept the HC position at Ga. Southern. Or, how he built some of UGA's greatest defenses using scraps from the offense. Lol...that's how they got the nickname..."Junkyard Dawgs". IMO...Russell is in league with the GOAT's.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Seems like last year was the only year we didn't need a 2nd qb. But, a lot of years we've had multiple qb's. Jamie newman, mathis, daniels, stetson all in one hear. Jake and Eason. I remember one year our National champ hopes were dashed when Shockley was hurt before Florida. All three need to get ready.

• Options
    edited March 2023

@MikeGriffith

Mike...I've had a minute to think about your take on Bowers' contributions over the last 2 years, and came to the conclusion...You're right. UGA doesn't win 2 Natty's without Bowers. Moreover, they need him more this year, than the previous two years.

IMO...You DO need 3 legs on offense to win-it-all. Given that Stetson Bennett, Cook/McIntosh and Brock Bowers represented those 3 legs in '21 & '22...Bowers is the only guy that couldn't be replaced with an equally versatile and talented backup.

Bennett had Daniels, Beck, BVG and Stockton...all very talented, but, with varying degrees of "experience".

Cook had White & McIntosh. All talented backs, with different upsides and weaknesses...but, all have the ability to run "the Wheel Route", which was one of Monkin's "money plays".

McIntosh had Edwards, Milton and Robinson.

UGA didn't have anybody in the lineup, that could step in and provide the same skillset and production that Bowers provided.

Without Bowers production at TE...UGA doesn't win a Natty! Defenses were scheming to stop Bowers...and, Cook, in '21. Without Cook...the Dawgs had McIntosh. But, without Bowers...Fitzpatrick? Nope....Washington? Injured.

UGA had nobody, that could've provided Bowers-like production, in '21 or '22.....or, '23. IMO