Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia tailback Kendall Milton limited by hamstring injury, RB room lacking depth

SystemSystem Posts: 10,443 admin
edited March 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia tailback Kendall Milton limited by hamstring injury, RB room lacking depth

ATHENS — Georgia tailback Kendall Milton will be limited the remainder of spring drills on account of a hamstring injury.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I sure hate the hear the news, but at least it doesn't sound serious. Milton has been plagued by injuries off and on. I wonder what the deal is with Edwards.

It will be good to see the Robinson brothers getting more reps.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't buy into the notion that depth is an issue at the RB position at Georgia - that room is stocked.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A tad bit of alarmist clickbait here. UGA has 3 proven tailbacks - Milton, Edwards, Robinson - plus a promising (presumably) redshirt freshman Paul and a 5 star true freshman Robinson. Of those, only Paul is coming off a serious - but not devastating - injury and only Milton can be considered injury prone. You really only need 3 guys to play regularly - last year it was McIntosh, Edwards and Milton, in 2021 it was White, Cook and McIntosh - and there is zero evidence that they won't have that. Also, UGA's "best in the nation interior OL by a mile" and their soft schedule (relative to the norm for SEC title contenders) means that they won't need a Chubb/Michel/Swift situation like 2017 or a Gurley/Marshall one like 2012 where the RBs need to be good enough to cover up deficiencies in other areas either. UGA having their best situation at WR and TE in ages helps that also.

Now in 2024 this might be a problem as 2 of the 5 guys are seniors. That would leave Robinson, Robinson and Paul. But that is when you bring in a transfer. Just as important - if not more so - that is when you make absolutely sure to land a pair of RBs that are at least 200 lbs (better if they are at least 210). UGA is in this state right now because the Monken offense was horrible for recruiting RBs. Had either Milton or Edwards put up big numbers this season and entered the draft - they were considering it preseason and one of them actually did submit his name to the draft board and ultimately elected to return - UGA actually might be in a bind right now. One of the reasons why UGA fans should be glad that Bobo is back to run a more conventional pro style offense, one where the starting RB gets way more carries a game than the less than 10 that McIntosh got last year.

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kendall Milton has proven to be extremely fragile. I think that the RB room is much more robust than the reporter thinks it is.

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Milton needs to show that he is sturdy this year if he wants to be drafted next year by an NFL team. If he continues his litany of injuries, he needn't even try out for the NFL. Nobody will use up a draft choice for such a fragile running back.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Knee-jerk reaction ...here UGA goes again. Milton. However, this was non-contact hamstring. He should be fine in a few weeks. No worries. Dajun...? Have no idea. Paul should be okay by summer or at least fall. His was serious last season. UGA also has a little fella, Cash Jones. Kid can open field run! Very quick and explosive. I like this kid. Not afraid to take a hit either. Robinsons are also primed to show out! UGA will have its RB guns blazing come fall......confident. Go Dawgs.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dude is a beast. Only injuries come from working hard. Because spring drills are over in a couple of weeks, no need to stress it.

#2 will be RB#1.

and plenty of pups in the dawg house to handle the rock.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yep 100%. Plenty of thoroughbred pups in the dawghouse. Now young guys get more of an opportunity is all. Yeah, it does significantly increase the chances UGA adds another RB though. Simply because of how well Paul's recovery will go being an unknown factor.

They seen something in 2022 walk-on Jacob Hardie from Maryland while scouting another player. It is interesting though he didn't play RB in HS and UGA lists him as one. He could be a real good story, didn't get a lot of playing time in HS due to injuries and older players ahead of him, etc. He has a year under his belt now at UGA.

IF... he is practicing with the RB's... maybe we will get a chance to see what McGee and Kirby ultimately saw in him. I assume he is extremely fast and got the tangible and intangibles Mcgee likes.

This guy came from Maryland to be a walk-on... He is not a kicker, didn't come from Atlanta or anywhere in GA, didn't come because his dad and/or grandpa played there or he loved UGA from birth and he has to be on the team some how, some way even if it means washing clothes and being a tackling dummy for 4 years. This guy came to be developed and to play, hoping he will get that larger opportunity and be ready when he does. This opportunity should be bigger than the one he had yesterday.

I would like to know if he is practicing with the RB's. Could be at DB or WR too. But listed as RB. Sure would be interesting if it is at RB. He could be in the mix before his time is up in 4 years. Interesting story and very good find and development, if he does.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"#2 will be RB#1": I hope you're right. I've always liked Milton's combination of power and speed. Does a lot of things well.

Not taking anything away from Edwards. Or from B. Robinson, whom I thought showed a lot of promise last year. But, for the upcoming season, Milton has the highest upside. This year, he gets a chance to prove that the injuries have been due to bad luck rather than a brittle body.

Regarding @thadec's obsession with individual stats: It actually will be interesting to see if we'll return to the days of 1K rushers under Bobo. In his 2007-2014 offenses, Moreno, Gurley and Chubb had four seasons between them of 1,300-plus yards each.

Milton's style of running is well-suited for the strong interior line we'll have this year (despite not have Willock in the rotation). Given his injury history, he probably won't get enough carries to reach 1,300. But last year, he averaged 7.0 yards per carry. At that rate it would only take 12 carries a game to top 1,000 yards in the regular season.