Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

“Are you ready for some [Braves] baseball!?”

1333435363739»

Comments

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate those Phillies, especially their obnoxious fans.

My new favorite teams: the Dbacks, Rangers and Astros. Shout out to the Astros manager and former Brave Dusty Baker. 74 years old and still getting it done as a MLB manager.

• Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t care about the playoff schedule, that’s out of a teams control. Of the things the Braves could control…like effort, mental approach, toughness etc they get an F. That’s why they lost the series.

Been a Braves fan a long time, and there might be a series the Braves performed worse in…but all things considered this is an all time flop for me.

Second year in a row….whew…glad I got the dawgs to cleanse the pallete

• Options
    DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Last two years Kind of reminds of the 90s when we had maddux, glavine and smoltz etc and only won one World Series. They should’ve had several. I will say it again as I said last night. Bringing the heat in the playoffs is how you win. Strider was most effective last night with the fastball and got rocked with his off speed pitches. Still only gave up 3 runs. Elder got rocked the night before because he doesn’t bring the heat and his pitches were missing high and they were blasting them. Every pitcher the Phillies had brought the juice and we couldn’t hit it. Also we should’ve tried to score on the pass ball with bases loaded that was the crack we needed and if he gets out at least Acuna is leading off the next inning. But I think he scores and Mo could’ve changed then.

• Options
    philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Diamondbacks did what Braves could not, shut down those Phillies and did it on their homefield.

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the MLB loves having this happen, but they need to look at the structure of the playoffs!

You still need to play and be hot in October, but yes, this has made the regular season superlatives, irrelevant!

I am happy for the Diamondbacks, they sawked 2 seasons ago! Should be a good series, but the Rangers are top 5 in spending this season, it does make a difference, ask Billy Beane!

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Better not ask the Dodgers or the Yankees or the Padres or the Red Sox.

• Options
    philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BumBum Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My opinion…the MLB is freaking out that the Rangers vs Diamondbacks is the World Series matchup.

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I suspect they are not at all happy about these smaller market teams being the match-up. You know what else? I could care less. I love it. I hope every one of those big spenders who failed to make the World Series suffer during the Fall Classic. Especially the Yankees and Dodgers.

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Arguably the Arizona market is not Top 5, but I am pretty sure it is Top 15! They stole the All-star game from us and moved to them, so there is some favors owed to them. The Texas market is football and more football, but they are not Top 10. So, I agree, the MLB has lost millions of dollars in TV ad revenue, considering the # of fans watching will not be close to a Houston v Phillies matchup!

The MLB has some major issues coming their way, the CBA is due to end in 2026 and the ESPN, TBS and local affiliate agreements are not panning out for them! So, they will change the minor league deal, back to what it was and claim that they are losing money. Last night's game 7, was down 9% from last year.

Even with the clock rules, which kept existing fans happy, but didn't bring in anymore new fans, just isn't enough.

Hopefully they will figure it out, but I am guessing not much will change!

• Options
    rennerrenner Posts: 95 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    rennerrenner Posts: 95 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This free article on wsj speaks to the earlier conversation here about how the current playoff structure favors the hottest teams, not the best teams, so I thought I'd share it here. As has been written here, by expanding and reshaping the playoffs, winning the division has certainly lost its advantage. Hopefully, the expanded NCAA football playoffs won't do the same thing.

A couple poignant quotes excerpted then the free/gifted by wsj article link...

"By design, baseball’s playoff format rewards the hottest teams, not necessarily the best teams, and the Rangers and Diamondbacks earned their place with how they have performed."

"MLB views the parity of pedigree as a feature, a shining example that any organization can realistically compete for a championship regardless of their payroll, their market size or the starpower on their roster."

"The Rangers and Diamondbacks meeting in the World Series seems almost impossible to fathom. They combined for a .537 winning percentage during the regular season, an all-time low for teams meeting in the World Series. "

https://www.wsj.com/sports/baseball/world-series-texas-rangers-arizona-diamondbacks-53f1e546?st=hibrzuc6n24tzrf&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink