Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Brock Vandagriff ‘hammering the nail’ in Georgia football QB competition

SystemSystem Posts: 10,536 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Brock Vandagriff ‘hammering the nail’ in Georgia football QB competition

ATHENS — Brock Vandagriff sounds like someone who has mastered the process even though he’s still learning the game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m sure the coaches wanted both to speak with the media as part of their evaluation process. What “voice” do they have as a leader.

after listening to both I would give BVG a slight edge, but not by much.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The worst thing about this QB competition is one of them probably has to lose, not many platoon situations in CFB anymore. They're both DGD's and I wish them both good luck....

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I look forward to hearing stats from the next scrimmage and can't wait for G-Day. I'm interested to see if Beck gets his INTs back down and whether Vandagriff will keep his INT-free streak. That's really my biggest concern at the QB level. You make an ill-advised throw early on the game and it results in a Pick-6 and that literally could be the difference in the Game and whether we make the playoffs or not.

I look forward to seeing him throw and run though.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

May the best QB for the team win. And may the other stay and be ready to go in at any moment and possibly never come out.

Never know what is going to happen. Ask Jake Fromm, ask JT Daniels, ask Stetson Bennett, ask every QB since Kirby has been there.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Int, though they go as a QB stat, can very easily be a WR route mistake. The coaches know what plays are called and will let the offender know. It’s my guess that with the two transfers that they are still learning the playbook.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@ColumbusDawg

Huh? JT Daniels transferred for playing time with 2 years of eligibility left. Stetson Bennett transferred to JUCO. Jacob Eason, D'Wan Mathis and Justin Fields all transferred. Basically the entire QB depth chart left in 2016 except for Eason and some walk-ons. So ...

And make no mistake, the guy who doesn't start the South Carolina game will enroll somewhere else by January. By keeping the job superficially open until mid-September, Smart is hoping to hold onto both at least through the SEC title game. The only reason why it has a shot at working is both guys have already burned their redshirt years and will still be eligible through 2025, meaning there isn't much to lose by sticking around. Otherwise the guy who doesn't start against South Carolina - and based on Smart's tendencies doesn't play much the first 2 games either - would leave the team, as others in that same situation have done.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your opinion Only. Your guessing. You have No Way what so ever of being inside the minds of these QBs. Any more so than the rest of us. Just an example Brock could have already been at OK had HE ( not You, Not me, not Anybody else) chose to be. And the other Power 5 schools looking at him didn’t just start This year, and He knows that. Yeah he Could go just as any of the three could. But that’s just a guess on anyone’s part. All Three could stay to. No one knows for sure. Really at This point in time even the three QBs might not have their plans established.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Read and saw this almost exact piece and video yesterday! Com’on Man!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

Lol...nobody has a crystal ball, my friend. But, IMO...reading between the lines...none of these boys are going anywhere.

Unlike most of the kids today, they are focused. They're at UGA, not to be the "best College Player they can be"...but, to train for the next level and become the best "professional" they can be. Afterall...isn't that what the "College Experience" is all about, anyway. NFL Scouts have been keeping tabs on these boys since High School. They know what they bring to the table, without ever seeing game film.

If you don't believe me...just look at how high in the draft, Anthony Richardson is projected to go. He's being courted, not because he was a great QB...but, because he has great "potential". Game film didn't help him, much. He can run...so can Stockton and BVG. Beck and Stockton can throw...so could Bryce Young.

It's entirely possible, Gunner Stockton can overtake BVG and Beck, by the first game of the season. He has all the talent in the world. He just needs to be able to run Bobo's offense, to take advantage of his "Fall" opportunities. Anybody with a middling IQ and intense focus, can do that between now and October (1st REAL game).

UGA's defense will beat Carolina. A "QB" won't even be needed. The offense can run out of "The Wildcat", the entire game...and still win. That's the way I see the 1st 4 games...potential beatdowns...or, 2022 Missouri/Kentucky brawls, created by CKS to generate some early adversity.

If you can go 3 years, with only 3 losses...a year and a half, since your last loss...you have to be creative to find ways to put your team "behind the 8-ball", so they can grow through "live fire" and adversity. Kirby did it early last year against Mizzou and Kent St.. He knew, a loss would help them at that point in the season, but, if they pulled it out...that's even better.

He may do it again, this year...depending on how "hungry" everybody is and intensity of the Team Leaders/Elders through fall practice. We'll see.

As far as I'm concerned...Stockton???... Vandergriff???... Beck???? Flip a coin, at this point in the preseason. It's far from "over"...even after Spring Practice...and you can wipe your butt with any statistics you get out of "Spring Scrimmages". They only call it a "Game", to get the Fans excited and create buzz...but, it's a controlled scrimmage with a dress rehearsal in a game-like environment. But...Not a game...far from it.

The backup and his backup are as important, this year, as the guy that takes the first snap, in the first game. Nobody leaves in 2023...if I'm reading things right. And...Gunner Stockton could wind up, "The Starter" before all is said and done.

Don't forget...Mike Bobo and Will Muschamp, recruited Stockton hard, when he was OC at S. Carolina. They both saw a ton of potential in him...and Bobo thought, he was just the guy to mold him into a great QB. That was 2019-2020. Funny how things turn out, huh.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent, Excellent Comments my Bro. !! You know you have a habit of that Lol !!

I know that loyalty is a thin commodity in today’s society. BUT I think that it’s just as realistic to think that ALL Three QBs Could stay at UGA as much as it is that one or more Might leave.

That’s just One of the beautiful things that Kirby has created ( along with his staff) at UGA, that’s a sense of loyalty.

Yes I know some have left, and I certainly don’t knock them for that decision. But many have Stayed when they could have tested the transfer portal to.

And on top of that because of the Quality they face in practicing against each other many have chose to stay for Self as well. Certainly nothing wrong with that !!

With the quality of Defense that Kirby has been producing its great for a guy on the O to face that every practice. And the same can be said of the reverse.

So players can enjoy a sense of loyalty to Team and School and Coaches, AND better themselves in quality of play at the same time.

To sum it up those that say one or more of our QBs might leave, Yeah could be right. But I honestly believe that there’s equal probability that they could all three stay to.

Like I said as of right this moment in time, I’m not sure that any of the three QBs know for certain what they will do comes Real game time. I think it’s a decision that All three will measure very, very, carefully, then decide when That time rolls around. I think it’s absolutely presumptuous to say a slam dunk Yes, one or more Will leave by Jan. !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The purpose of having both QB's speak is to not show favoritism to one as to dishearten the other. Just say CKS has CB as the only speaker, then what is BVG thinking? "I guess coach has him as the early favorite. " I'm not saying that CKS has made up his mind, but even if he has or sort of is leaning in favor of one over the other, it would be foolish for him as a coach to show his hand at this point. Theres a lot of time before he has to make that decision. So, at the moment, expect it to be a competition. So much will be how the team responds to each of ther leadership. THat seemed important coming from Nolan Smith when he came out and backed SB, after whatever that game was. THere he was a defensive guy saying SB is who he had faith in. SB had won over the defense with his play in practice and his leadership.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think you missed his point. “…Fromm/Eason.” Fromm replaced Eason early in the ‘17 season, even though Eason was the clear starter. “… Daniels/Bennett.” They each replaced the other after one had established a claim to the QB1 spot.

The point he was making was just that there is always a chance that the next guy becomes the main guy.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BigDawg61, I like the way you think....but your smacked the nail right through the 2x4 with: "The backup and his backup are as important, this year, as the guy that takes the first snap, in the first game. Nobody leaves in 2023...if I'm reading things right. And...Gunner Stockton could wind up, "The Starter" before all is said and done."......QB1 is a dead concept at UGA....if you are on the field, YOU are a starter....In 23, I expect to see Beck, Vandagriff and Stockton all see meaningful game snaps according to who KS & MB think can give the DAWGS the best chance at being successful. Using all three delivers a deception headache to every opposition DC & HC we face. All three could be QB1 at other schools but it takes a TEAM to win consistently......TEAM GOIN 4 3 N 23!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are in a good spot. All 3 are excellent quarterbacks and potentially a 15 game season anything can happen.

For all we know, Beck wins the job after he and BVG split the starts for first 2 games and then 1 or the other one gets hurt. It has been an unpredictable ride with Eason and JT going down. Both of them had the big arm and the hype. A little known walk on with grit and fire in the belly proved most of us wrong.

So whoever wins this thing will have a great defense backing them up and some first round talent surrounding them on offense.

We good, we good.