Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stock Report: Kirby Smart has sharp Scrimmage Two observations, comments

SystemSystem Posts: 10,536 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageStock Report: Kirby Smart has sharp Scrimmage Two observations, comments

ATHENS — Kirby Smart is clearly locked in on a strong finish to the Georgia football spring practice session.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like a great deal of improvement and growth must be accomplished before anybody should feel comfortable thinking our Dawgs capable of having the remotest chance of a hat trick.

At this point in our team's development I'd not be counting on beating anybody who can field a competitive SEC team. Those Gamecocks are looking mighty tough.

No, I'm not saying Kirby & Company won't get it together. They know full well what the job is.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All they need to do is cause the opposition QB to question for two extra seconds and our D-line, LB's, and edge rushers will become "Sac-natos"!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CKS recruits at the highest level in CFB. On top of that UGA develops their recruits. It seems, now that UGA is established as a top 3 program, that UGA is recruiting better prospects and rarely missing on development.

XSorey is an example of that. He can be '23's CTindall and rotate in. You cannot count on no ILB's getting injured and missing time. W/JWalker this is championship depth and allows the 3 freshman ILB's to grow at their own pace and play ST's.

Is UGA a young team that needs to develop? At some spots. CKS definitely looking for development from every player on the roster. That it to everyone's benefit.

'23 UGA doesn't have to be better than '21 or '22 UGA or '20 Alabama. UGA just needs to be better than everyone's '23 team. That's the goal and it is attainable.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel like when it comes to Spring practice, you can just sub out the names and everything will be the same. Kirby will ALWAYS say that we have to keep working and "continue to get better." He will ALWAYS say that the mid-year enrollees are a little behind and need to realize that this is not as easy as high school. He will ALWAYS say the quarterbacks need to be smarter with the ball and their decision-making. And he will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS say that he's "not happy with where we are right now." Except for the different names, I can almost write the stories myself at this point. I'm not worried AT ALL. And while none of us knows whether we'll win it all again, neither does any other team at this point. So let's just keep chopping. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For Kirby to provide even a hint of any praise for a true freshmen-- Damon Wilson-- really says something about the tremendous upside of that dude. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bwahaha !! More depth than the Marianas Trench !! As a squid I Love that !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So to run through what I've read on the world famous internet and every you tube video out there so far

• quarterbacks - we are set here but won't really know if the guy picked can show up big in big games because we don't have any for awhile. Unfortunately, we need to see some adversity first and the schedule is light.

running backs - I know we are missing or have guys dinged up however I feel pretty good about the robinsons. I felt like branson was the most explosive running back last year but was too far down the depth chart. If his pass pro improves he could be a game changer instead of a closer. I'm expecting big things from him this year. Milton looked great last year at the end and hopefully he can return to form and stay healthy a whole year. We need his leadership.

tight ends - I guess my biggest question is can these guys sustain blocks against good competition? This may be more important this year than putting up big numbers. Luckie is getting a lot of early press but not sure that he isn't the 3rd or 4th best TE on the team. Scary, huh?

wide receivers - first time in a long time that we actually have quality and depth. We are looking good here and excited about seeing this group.

offensive line - we look great on paper but still not sure about Truss. I hope he puts it together. I know he is graduating soon so he should have no distractions this year and I hope that makes a difference in his focus on the field. Van Pran is probably our most important guy to stay healthy. Mims is going to be something this year. Excited to see if we can finally bring home the trophy. Last thing, can Tate become an All American. I would like to see him light some linebackers up this year.

Overall our offense has the ability to be the best we have ever had. We should break the ppg record this year easily. I'm going with 44.5 ppg.

Defense is another story.

D-Line - Interior. This is my biggest question mark on the team (I know people are worried about outside linebackers and our 2nd corner but more concerned here.) First question is the article above which is do we have a dominant game wrecker or 2 in the group? Not sure we do. Hopefully, the freshman can add some piss and vinegar into this group. The upper classmen are solid but do not scream top 3 round type of guys. So this is the biggest question mark on the entire team to me. We will not know until we play some decent competition what we have here. Maybe big baby will need to play more this year if Stack and Logue don't get it done with enough ferocity.

D-Line - exterior. Mykel is great and the other guys are coming on so we should be fine.

Inside LB - we have the best group in the nation here so I am not concerned.

Outside LB - our young guys are insanely talented and with the easy schedule it should give them time to learn and blossom by November. This group is something else and we will be loaded the next 3 years.

Secondary - Starks will be an AA this year and Lassiter should be all conference. We have really good people competing for the other spots. We should be fine here. The biggest question is will the Dline do their job and get to the opposing qbs. We may need to blitz more if a dominant interior guy doesn't show up this year.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with you just about word by word, @BigDawg61. Two caveats:

• A 44.5 offensive scoring average may be a bit high, given that we tend not to play with intensity against small schools.
    • I'm also hoping that between Bear, Zion, Nazir and Brinson (not to mention Big Baby and Christen Miller), someone will rise to the occasion in big games. Certainly, the rotation will be strong because there's a lot of experience on the inside DL; so that should keep the big guys fresh. They played well when Carter was out, and he's the only guy who's left the team.

And then there's our kickers: Thorson was just awesome last year. He would have been our third Freshman All-American if he'd have gotten more chances to stick his foot in the game! His ability to pin opponents inside the 20 is a true weapon for the D. We can't expect to a new PK to step right into Pod's shoes, but we have two very legit contestants. Good to hear that Zirkel's having a good spring.