Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football spring standouts for each position group

SystemSystem Posts: 10,534 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football spring standouts for each position group

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, and everything else UGA.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"Smart" football. It means Kirby Smart living his dream of being the head coach of the team where he starred as a player and becoming it's head coach and bringing it to a level never before reached. Unprecedented recruiting and player development by a coaching system of the sport's very best is what we have with "Smart Football". We as fans are fortunate to be a part of this and I thank Kirby Smart for bringing this home.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Depth like crazy.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone of these Dawgs, would "start" on most teams, not to mention being touted as "stars"......It's all about the elite level of DEVELOPMENT KS and the Georgia coaches have installed within the overall culture.....3 stars into potential All Americans, All Americans into #1 draft choices and everyone on their way to becoming TEAM DGD's!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

BVG's athleticism and talent (5* for a reason) starting to separate him from the others in the QB room. Mobility at QB is a top 3 QB skill.

BRob's receiving skills will be the determining factor in his depth chart roll and PT.

ASmith's and KMilton's game and practice reps will be managed to help ensure their health and availability for the SECCG and playoffs. KMilton's running attempts may be further managed should he be the only proficient receiving RB on the team.

LLuckie's emergence presents a real paradox for the UGA OC. His receiving is well ahead of his blocking. SO when he plays 2nd TE and it calls for a TE reception do you make BB's block so Luckie can catch some passes? That makes no sense. Barring injury, Luckie may not see as much PT as is currently indicated.

MMorris is a player many have watched waiting for his emergence. Very high 4* with size. Makes sense that any OL experimentation/position juggling be done after the May TP window closes. Expect a 60% change in the starting OL positions over what is currently being reported.

DSmith might be my favorite UGA player. My concern is that he may not be able to build his frame into an SEC OLB before he gets passed on the depth chart. Definitely a valuable depth, spot and ST player. Who passes him and does he transfer after this season?

Lightsey in the same boat as DSmith w/o as much upside. Crowded ILB position may make him a TP candidate at some point.

Need ALL the CB's and they all should play.

TSmith came from WVU with a bad foot injury. When he finally got healthy he played 1 game and then tore his ACL in practice. An ACL is a 2 yr recovery process to 100% for most players (based on observation and personal experience). This is TSmith's 2nd yr back. He should be good this yr. People forget that Smith followed DB coach Jahmile Addae from WVU to UGA. JA left after 1 season. Injuries and coaching changes, not talent, have been what has set him back.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m so ready for G Day !! I know it’s a glorified scrimmage, but it does give us fans glimpses of various player’s potential if nothing else. This year’s version should be exciting and also hold some drama to see which players might over shadow others at the same position. Go Dawgs !!! 3peat !!!

• Options
    bobebobe Posts: 204 ✭✭✭ Junior

EJ has made a really good recovery from last year

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Humphrey was one of three outside cornerbacks Georgia signed in the 2022 class.”

What is an “outside cornerback”?

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are more than loaded. The depth is unreal but after the portal opens up should ease up a little which is fine because we need to provide playing time and opportunity for future classes. Bama having 9 5 stars this year should make it hard for them next year. I think Kirby is doing a great job balancing our numbers.

Lastly, if the rumor is we get Raiola and the other talented 4 star next year then I just can't see BVG staying should he catch wind of that and end up as #2. Rumor has it that BVG was considering transferring to Bama so keeping an eye on their spring game a week from now will be important especially if their younger qb #2 looks rough. Potentially we lose Gunner as well if Raiola comes. So why not run 2 qbs as #1 all year (this contradicts everything people have been taught) if both play well? I know it hasn't been done before I hate to lose BVG and Beck isn't going to transfer as he is a junior. I especially do not want to lose BVG since I think he has better upside.

Regardless, we are going to be tough to beat this year. Our defense should be phenomenal by end of year barring injuries. I do wish that our DL was a little more destructive but hoping JJ and Big Baby can make a difference by late fall. Also, Bear was touted as the next great one. Let's hope he is.