Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football allure of the unknown: ‘What exactly is Brock Vandagriff?’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,564 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football allure of the unknown: ‘What exactly is Brock Vandagriff?’

ATHENS — Georgia football fans are ready to get their fill of the Bulldogs’ quarterbacks in the annual G-Day Game, particularly Brock Vandagriff.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

"even more athletic guy who …"____Fromm on BVG to Bennett comparison.

Please qualify that statement. How is BVG "more athletic than Bennett?

More physically imposing, maybe...but, I'm not aware of any metric, that's been publicized, showing a one-to-one comparison between 40 times or high jump or any other type of stat that would define their athleticism.

I think Fromm is so jealous of Bennett, he could spit nails. Lol. Fromm realizes, if he had stayed for the 2020 season (he should've)...he would probably have half as many NC Rings, as Bennett...not to mention, a better shot at making an NFL Roster.

Bennett matured into a better QB than Fromm became, because he stayed and developed...and apparently, his ceiling is higher Lol. He's a different player, than Fromm is familiar with, in the backup role. More physically developed and smarter.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If this QB competition is truly as close as its being made out to be (I’m not doubting it), then it may come down to:

1. Chemistry with the WR’s/TE’s
    2. Ability to read the defense and adjust
    3. Durability
    4. Ball control (protection)

I hope it’s decided with one of them really setting himself apart, as opposed to one of these very talented players hitting a rough patch and not performing to the best of his ability.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2023

@BigDawg61

Stetson Bennett IV rushed for 205 yards in 15 games at 3.8 yards per carry as a 6th year player in scheme designed specifically for him. Jalen Hurts ran for 950 yards at 5 yards per carry at age 18 running a Lane Kiffin playbook that he didn't know AND was a very bad fit for his skills. Want to guess the numbers that a 25 year old Hurts (despite 3 years in the NFL under his belt Hurts is still only 24) puts up in Athens last year in Monken's scheme?

And no, Hurts isn't this generational athlete. In the NFC East alone, Dak Prescott is a better one. And the Giants' Daniel Jones, when you add his 6'5" 235 lb frame and excellent arm strength - there are a number of throws that Jones can make that Hurts can't - to his 700 rushing yards last season, is at least comparable. So BVG being a better athlete than SB IV merely means that as a consensus 5 star recruit he is closer to 4 star recruits Jalen Hurts and Dak Prescott than is a 2 star recruit like SB IV isn't that hard to believe.

And yes, even if BVG has the same combine metrics as SB IV but at 6'3" 215 lb instead of 5'11" 190 lb one then yes it makes him a better athlete and a more effective player. Put it this way: if everything else were equal would you rather have a 6'3" 215 lb. guy playing tailback, WR or safety? Or would you rather have a 5'11" 190 lb. guy trying to cover Brock Bowers in the secondary, or get into the end zone at 3rd and goal?

And why do people keep harping on the fact that SB IV is 25? Simple: male athletes peak at 27-28. SB IV at 25 is a lot closer to that peak than even your typical college junior or senior QB who is going to be 20-22. (Bryce Young and CJ Stroud are 21. Anthony Richardson is 20.) So Jalen Hurts ran a 4.59 40 when he was 22. What do you think his 40 would be were he to run it after next season when he will be the same age that SB IV, who ran a 4.67, is now? By comparison back in 2020 when SB IV was the same age as Hurts now is, the guy had a 55% completion rate, an 8 to 6 TD/INT ratio and was benched twice.

Yes, SB IV had a great career at UGA and won 2 titles. But please quit pretending as if that somehow makes him this unfathomably talented and skilled athlete. He is neither.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best case for BVG from a popularity perspective is to go into the season as QB#2 and in game 3 or 4 come in to replace Beck for whatever reason and never relinquished the position.

Beck can then declare for the draft and shine in the combine.

best case for the dawgs is to trust the coaches to make the right decision to win games

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I trust that the coaches will choose the Beck unless he turns the ball over too much. That really is the only thing that can ruin it for him. It is the safe choice and Kirby wants a game manager most of the time.

That being said I don't see a way for BVG to win the job unless Beck blows it. I have not seen any amount of BVG to say what his talent is in a real game. Tomorrow will be the closest to that yet in 3 years. Beck has looked good in mop up duty when the game is essentially over. So is that really what separates him right now? All of that being said we have a couple of layups to get this right, let's hope BVG doesn't transfer before fall when not named the starter.

Also and as a quick reminder how many NCs did Jake Fromm and Justin Fields win combined? Stetson will always be the greatest story in Georgia QB lore despite his 2 star rating.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

QB requirements

1) Play mistake free football.

2) Be a strong leader.

3) Understand and command the O . Know your progressions. Establish an O rhythm.

4) Mobility.

5) Accuracy.

We will begin to see, starting on 4/15, who best meets the CKS criteria.

• Options
    edited April 2023

FYI, The star rating system used by recruiting services is meant to define a player's ceiling...or, potential...not necessarily, define the athlete they are when the leave HS.

The question is...How do you know whether BVG is more athletic than Bennett? Other than, "the sportswriters opined it". That don't cut it, with me. Lol

Neither does statistics. CFB Stats are nonlinear and relative to individual variables, not under a player's control. They don't translate equally from team-to-team or offense-to-offense.

Example:...A RB that averages 150 yds/game playing for team "A"...but, transfers to team "B", and only averages 80 yds/game, due to differences in coaching philosophy, offensive scheme and/or supporting cast...not the fault of the player. Does that mean he's not as good a running back playing for team "B"? Or, does it mean team "B" didn't run the ball effectively?

Now...look at the support Bennett had at WR. I'm not sure he played in more than 2 games in a row with the same receivers. The "Dependables" were Bowers, a TE & McIntosh, a RB. Considering what he and Monkin had to work with, on the perimeter, over the last 3 years...I think they didn't just WIN,...they overcame some significant deficiencies,, and persevered, for lack of a better term.

I don't think there's a QB or OC, in the SEC, that could've done a better job than Bennett did, over the last 2 years.

Before you throw names and stats at me, Lol...I know there's a couple of QBs that could've done basically the same thing...Young, Daniels and Hooker come to mind...but, they couldn't have done it "better"...because UGA's offensive supporting cast didn't favor their style of play. No over-the-top WRs and more conservative offensive scheme.

Young probably would've fit right in with UGA...Turns out they didn't need Him...they needed Bennett. Young wouldn't have had any better receivers than Bennett and unlike Bennett, Young is more of a pocket-passer. Yes...with great mobility and pocket presence...but, Bennett seems to have a "Sixth Sense" in the pocket. You can't teach that. That's instinct...and, he's got "it".

Can't wait for the scrimmage tomorrow. Git 'er done, boys.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why don't people realize that Fromm just couldn't return for his senior season? The same reason he is not "Jake from State Farm."

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 149 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would really like to see both Beck and BVG getting a lot of reps during this season. Beck has been loyal and certainly deserves the opportunity to start. But that doesn't mean that BVG doesn't see significant action in the games also. This is smart (no pun intended) because Beck will be gone after this season and we do not want a green QB starting next year. So until Beck shows us otherwise, he should start, and BVG should get significant playing time during all games to prepare him for next year. We should also ease Stockton into games in the 4th quarter to start preparing him to start when BVG leaves for the NFL as a 1st round draft pick. Giving all our elite QBs playing time during the season will also serve to keep them at home instead of in the transfer portal. Disclaimer: if Beck wilts under pressure or otherwise cannot lead the team to victory, then BVG is there to start games thereafter.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited April 2023
  • Options

"because Beck will be gone after this season"____

We don't know that for sure. Depends on the kind of year he has. Rookie QBs tend to have a high turnover ratio, but it's not a given. Beck is not completely inexperienced...and, neither is Vandergriff, so, I don't count them as true rookies.

Beck has at least 2, if not 3 years of eligibility remaining, leaving the option to return, "on the table". He came aboard in 2020...COVID year didn't count. '21, '22...that's 2 years, provided he didn't use a Red Shirt in 2021 (Daniels & Bennett).

If he Red Shirted in 2021 and 2020, the "COVID Year", didn't count....that actually leaves him with 3 years of eligibility, with 2022 being the only year that counted against his eligibility timer.