Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Mellow Mushroom?

2»

Comments

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

O’Malley’s ‘Drink N Drown’ night… (Wednesdays? 🤔)… best place to cruise for girls! 😉

Thursday nights was beer and those peanuts in the shell at Papa Joe’s (after Chapter meetings… yes, I was a frat boy).

Friday nights… The Mad Hatter Ballroom had a great little house band called… REM (!!!) $5 cover… and ‘slam dancing’… !!!

What was the bar/restaurant on Baxter…? two stories tall… Papa Joe’s moved there after it closed down… Harry’s maybe?

The sangria place was still doing its thing when I got there… don’t recall the name…

• Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A buddy of mine worked at Rocky's in the mid-80's. They had good pizza.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great times for sure! Love the memories at O’Malley’s ……don’t remember the restaurant to which you are referring, but I am glad that it’s not just me remembering the pitchers of Sangria!

There was also a pretty cool little piano bar near the Sangria place whose name also escapes me…..but it was a rather calmer, nicer place to go …. about when Billy Joel’s “Piano Man” came out which made it fun!

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Got to wonder how a place like O'Malley's, in a great college town like Athens would ever go out of business 😕.

• DestinDawgDestinDawg Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Destin Mellow Mushroom closed. Sad.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We use to go to Mellow in Suwanee. Very good pizza and I loved their Spinach Salad w/candied walnuts. Much better than what I'm use to in Georgia with chain Pizza joints like Pizza Hut, Marcos, and Pappa John's. Probably need to drive over to Athens or down to Atlanta to find good Pizza.

Being from Chicago, they have some great Pizza joints both thin and thick crust. And while I didn't grow up with thick crust, Gino's East in Chicago on East Superior was awesome. At least it was back in the 80's.

Old style Pizza joint with ovens in the basement and wooden tables in the restaurant. Peoples names carved into the tables.

• philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Growing up I thought pizza was chef boyer d in a box, didn't have real pizza until in my 20 s.

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was a poor boy on scholly in the mid 70's. There was a place called Alice's Crazy Corner Restaurant (a table and chairs were attached to the ceiling) for a meat and 3, and a kind of boarding house cafeteria with the same that had good cornbread, whose name I don't recall. I was much slimmer then, too. I don't even recall eating pizza that wasn't delivered during my time in Athens. I did eat at a Mellow Mushroom in Greenville, SC a time or two.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is that on Baxter? If so, I remember when it opened across the street from Papa Joe’s (old location). 👍

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s hilarious!

Great college “foot in mouth” story! 🤭

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

Am I right that Son’s and Steve’s were close/next to each other?!? Regardless, there was many a time I’d get a hot sub at one and then walk over and get a pie at the other.

And don’t get me started on the Davinci’s marinara sauce…used to ask for extra and just sip it with a spoon.

Those we’re the days, surrounded by endless eats, my stomach was cast iron, extended into my legs and I could metabolize errthing I ate without ending up looking like a stick with a big azzed goiter at my middle!

(here ends cloud-telling old man reminiscense).

• BumBum Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Go easy on Mellow pizzas y’all…they caused a severe gluten allergy for my wife who worked there in college. Now I suffer too…second hand lol

• CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, they were on adjacent parcels in 5 points. Steve's had amazing wings served on the large pizza pan.