Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia QB Brock Vandagriff digs into nuances, quietly building himself up

SystemSystem Posts: 10,651 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia QB Brock Vandagriff digs into nuances, quietly building himself up

This is Part Two of a two-part series on Georgia football quarterback Brock Vandagriff, who many consider the back-up QB entering the offseason

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just my personal observations but my assessment is that BVG is at this point a 1st read QB, and if his 1st option isn't there his tendency is to take off and run. Sometimes he may hit a guy on the right side of the field if he's moving that way but in a real game he's going to rely on his natural instinct and that is to put his head down and run.

I'm certainly fine with any QB tucking and running if no one is open or if the protection breaks down, but it's just a tough thing to do for an inexperienced QB to spend that extra second or two and look for his 2nd and 3rd reads. The game only slows down by playing in real situations.

You can go back and look at even a few of SB's throws and see where he didn't see a receiver wide open and chose another guy instead, even as experienced as SB is.

THe best receivers will want a QB who can give them that extra second to get open and not just tuck and run thereby limiting targets for them. That IMHO would put a damper on recruiting WR's.- Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

@MikeGriffith

Good story, Mike. I got nothin' contrary. Lol

However...you did fail to mention that their G-Day performances cannot be compared, due to the personnel available to each QB, while in charge of the 1s team offense. In fact...Beck had a statistical advantage, with the tools available to him...verses the tools available to BVG.

I believe Kirby and Bobo did that, to give "both guys" some confidence, heading into Summer OTA's. Each QB was allowed the opportunity to showcase what "they do best", on the big stage. Beck, "the cerebral pocket-passer"....and, Vandergriff, the "fleet-footed gunslinger". Stockton was kept in his place...for now. Lol

I believe BVG's numbers would have looked at least as good, if not better...had, Bowers and McConkey been available to get the defense's attention. Who knows...he may have run all over the 1st team defense....and, THAT would be bad for their confidence. Lol

I knew there was more to BVG than met the "eye"...although, what the "eye" meets, when watching him play, is pretty darned good, too. This kid could start...easily.

With 3 qualified QBs in the QB room...all with a unique skillset and varying degrees of experience....UGA is in an absolute great position to win a 3rd Natty in 3 years. Especially, considering their schedule, talent, depth. and, again, because it bears repeating..."not 2, but...3 qualified QBs in the QB room". No other team in the Power 5 can credibly, make that claim. IMO

All of the reasons I mentioned, including some, I didn't...gives the Dawgs a huge advantage over other teams in the SEC, this year. UGA is the only team capable of beating UGA, in 2023. IMO

Can you imagine what UGA could do to this year's schedule....with last year's offense and the 2021 defense? Or, just last year's "team", which had a pretty darned good defense, in their own right. And, this year....they're expected to be even better???

My Gawd!! "I pity da fools.".___Mr T