Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Matthew Stafford, Dylan Raiola help show just how much Georgia football has grown

SystemSystem Posts: 11,080 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageMatthew Stafford, Dylan Raiola help show just how much Georgia football has grown

Georgia has had no problem landing elite quarterbacks over the years. Just since Kirby Smart has taken over, the Bulldogs have landed commitments from six quarterbacks who held a 5-star ranking at one point or another during the recruiting process.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

We the fans of UGA are where we always felt like we could be. UGA is not in awe of anyone and we feel like we are the TEAM to beat. I guess when 1/2 the press takes shots at you while the other 1/2 compliments you then you realize you have arrived. We have the best coach, the best players, best facilities, and best fans, back to back and looking at another back championship why would you not want to play for the DAWGS!

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not counting unhatched championships, but I love where our program is.

Go, Dawgs!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been a Dawg (&, Yellow Jacket) fan, going back to the '60s. I played with and against, some of the best players of the "late '70's, early '80's Bulldogs", in HS. I've kept close tabs, ever since.

IMO...UGA has ALWAYS had the talent, to "win it all". But, they haven't always had the coaching.

In the 80's UGA's chances of repeating as National Champions, any time soon...dissipated rapidly, after 3 main events. 1....Erk Russell left the Program to build his own, at Ga.Southern. 2....Dooley was being courted to run for Governor or the Senate and took his eye off the ball. 3...Dooley stepped down as HC and as AD, hired Ray Goff.

From the time Erk Russell left, and Kirby Smart arrived....UGA failed to find an answer to the "defensive side" of the football. Van Gorder was okay...and maybe Richt's "too little, too late", Pruitt hire would've worked out. But, that's "IT".

I'm just pointing out...that UGA HAS had great talent. That's NEVER been "the problem". Lol....more like, bad defensive coaching...and, bad Luck. Otherwise, they'd be sitting on 3 or 4 more Natty's since 1980, than they currently have

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 374 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited May 2023

A big difference in Raiola’s favor is that he will have a much, much better offensive line to play behind than Stafford ever did. Under CMR, the Dawgs were lucky to recruit a single 5* on the line. Now they are all high 4* and 5* studs on the line. His opportunity to be successful is exponentially greater with those hosses in front of him. Onward and upwards!

• Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm no expert, but I've watched the Dawgs for 50+ years. "Oddly", I feel that it's Smart who is the difference between now and all the past teams. It's his fire; "we burned the boats, "we'll not be hunted", "leaked" audios", "aggression". And, it's his laser-focus; "the standard is the standard", constant references to complacency, "eating off the floor", having too much to get done to take time away for distracting frivolities. One thing is certain. Time will tell.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm fine withall the Bobo applause and do doubt he was somewhat of a factor inlanding Raola. I just can't see that it was Monken -No and Bobo-yes. Monken helped turn a former walk-on into a 4000 yard passer. what's not to like?

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not to mention NFL experience where Monken was concerned.

• tomdialwestervilletomdialwesterville Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

No, Matthew Stafford did not lead the Bulldogs to a national championship, but they did finish the 2007 season ranked No. 2 behind LSU in the Coaches Poll. And they started the next season at No. 1, whipping LSU by two TDs before Alabama came to Athens and wrecked our defense with 31 points in the first half. Stafford and team made a gallant effort in the second half, but came up short, 41-30. Just a reminder.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not sure I'd give Monkin, that much credit for Bennett. SB had 2 years at UGA and 1 in JC, before Monkin ever laid eyes on him. He was trying to give the "QB Job" to everybody BUT Bennett in his 1st year.

Only AFTER Clemson game, no TDs, 3 points and an injury to Daniels...was Bennett even given a shot.

Nope...I give Bennett all the credit for his own development. That's why he and Monkin clashed. Lol