Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN sets lofty expectations for Georgia quarterback Carson Beck

SystemSystem Posts: 10,560 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageESPN sets lofty expectations for Georgia quarterback Carson Beck

Carson Beck has not yet been named the starting quarterback for Georgia. He, along with Brock Vandagriff and Gunner Stockton, will continue to battle it out into the fall and most likely the season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JTM22JTM22 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

Imagine why Caleb Williams didn’t come to Georgia…Pressure and expectations would be sky high. Caleb is far superior than Stetson and most college QBs, no knock on Stetson, if he came to Georgia and not even make it to the CFB or win the natty, imagine the criticism… so kudos to SB for delivering back to backs! And main point, whomever is the starting QB at Georgia expectations will be high. With the talent we have, anything short of reaching the SECCG will be a failure.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

"ESPN Expectations"...hmmm. Let's examine that, shall we. Lol

They also expected a lot out of Rattler, Ewers, Levitts, Bo Nix, Richardson, KJ Jefferson, Young and Hooker....all of whom, were ranked above Bennett, by...none other than ESPN and it's vast network of cronies.

Bennett "outplayed all of em", literally and figuratively. The only thing they won, is a bigger NFL contract...but, he'll overtake em there, too, in time. Cause as a QB, the leadership you provide on the field and the points you put on the scoreboard are all that really matter.

ESPN provides a painting or description of a handful of expected "star players" and potential Champions every year, before the season. Does anybody remember, the last time, their consensus was "right"...about anything? Lol...their medium is "Art"...not "Science".

I believe...according to ESPN, in August 2022...their consensus had....

1. Alabama is the "team to beat".

2. Kentucky or Tennessee would beat UGA. UGA and BAMA would clash again in the SECCG...and UGA would likely lose against a more talented team, but could still squeak into the CFP.

3. "Bryce Young" is the best Offensive Player in the Country. Which actually may be true. Again...time will tell. There were some pretty good ones that didn't wear crimson...including UGA's own Stetson Bennett.

4. "Will Anderson" is the best College Football Player or "Defender" in the Country. Lmao...I almost couldn't write that one. THAT is the epitome of "HYPE"....and the biggest load of Horse Manure I've heard since Howard Cosell roamed the sidelines.

5. ESPN's Spencer Rattler expectations...have been "WRONG"...every single year, he's played. Lol. When he was at Oklahoma...when he transferred to South Carolina...and, again, last year when he finally broke out. Lol...ESPN had already pulled the plug on the "Rattler hype", so they missed out on the backend of that one, too.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

"The Georgia quarterback was lumped in with Penn State quarterback Drew Allar, who was the No. 1 ranked quarterback prospect in the 2022 recruiting cycle." CR

Actually Allar was rated the 6th QB in '22 (Rivals). But that doesn't fit CR narrative/implication that 'Carson Beck is as good as any QB in the '22 class'. He may well be. Time will tell. But don't elevate someone erroneously and arbitrarily because their situation was coincidently compared to Beck's. That's blowin smoke.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stars and rankings mean squat....it's all got to do with the Team the athlete picks.....SBIV proved that a 3 star, no name who was willing to work and be developed by the best coaching staff in college football can and will out shine all competition. It is also absolutely necessary to be surrounded by an elite O-Line, have elite receivers and RB's and lastly a Defencive TEAM that severely limits the point scoring possibility of the competition. Also, that athlete must surrender self for TEAM....an impossibility for most highly ranked QB's.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Both Georgia and Penn State are moving on from QBs who won a lot of games but spent most of their careers dodging criticism from fans

THat's just no true, for SB any how. Look at SB's record as a starter with 2 NC's. Not too many folks upset with SB. Early on the only question I had and others was is SB better than JT Daniels? THat was bantied around maybe even more so by some writer(s) than by the bulk of the fans. But there was no animosity or criticism, just was he the best option.

Certainly after the Michigan game in 2021 all the questioning if SB was the best option was laid to rest except perhaps with a minute few hardened detractors, but not with the general populace.

• Options
    edited May 2023

Well said, @reddawg1.

Lol...you know what I'll probably never understand, regarding the 2020 season...what did Monkin, Smart and, yes...even Muschamp, see in D'wan Mathis, that made them think, 'he was more ready to Start, than Bennett', in the first place?

They had just gone through a highly focused (COVID) preseason camp with multiple QBs, Stetson being the only one available "with experience", after it was all over.

Daniels was still injured from a year earlier. The kid from Wake, wound up quitting. Beck was a Freshman and Mathis had only recently, been cleared by Neurologists and the Team Doc, to play.

After the first couple of games, Smart was asked about the rotation and rep-split between the QBs in "camp"....and "why Bennett wasn't used more in the scrimmages"....or something to that effect. Smart said,...and, I paraphrase... "We knew what we had in Stet. We needed to evaluate the other QBs. Remember, we didn't have a Spring (due to the COVID lockdowns).

I wanted to see Mathis do well, for many reasons. But, after 2 qtrs of play...I was scratching my head and praying that UGA had a better option at QB...and wondering why they didn't use it. Then...tada...here comes "The Mailman", with a Special Delivery. Lol

But, why Start Mathis....UNLESS...Bennett was being disciplined, and forced to sit out the 1st half of the game for "violating team rules"...or....maybe he was mildly injured and Kirby was sitting him, as a precaution, to give Mathis (the backup) a little experience going into the season.

He may have thought they could win without great QB Play, in that first game...and, if Mathis was the only backup option (other than Beck), he would need experience, going into the heart of the season. So, why not start him.

Hmmm....sounds like something that's far more believable than...All of those "UGA coaching geniuses", liking Mathis to be the "2020 Starter", over Bennett and Beck. I don't see it.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61

Yeh, I've been trying to wrap my brain around that near debacle for some time now. Not sure we'll ever know what was going on there. The light switch was flipped on as soon as SB entered the game. It's like they became a different team. SBto the rescue!

• Options
    edited May 2023

@reddawg1 ...FYI, Check out this article I found on "Fan-Sided", about Bennett's performance for the Rams, so-far. Things are looking pretty good for him.

Thought some of you guys might enjoy a truly "unbiased opinion".

'Bout darned time, he got the "press coverage" he deserves. Now, that he's out of the "Athens Pressure Cooker"...he's "ready", and getting the kind of media coverage he's EARNED.

They're already anticipating, Bennett taking over for Stafford. He couldn't be in a better position.

https://fansided.com/2023/05/18/stetson-bennett-rams-first-throws-practice-reactions/