Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football podcast: Here’s why ESPN’s evaluation of UGA’s QB situation might be wrong

2»

Comments

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're putting wayyy too much weight on one pass in one game...to create some absurd argument against a "2-QB System". It's not a logical conclusion. IMO. In either case...a 2003 Natty...or, against the "2 QB System".

But, to each his own. Lol

• CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭ Junior

Name the 2 QB system that has worked in the NFL or college. There's a reason why NOBODY does it

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

I'm not saying it's a great option for any team...unless you have 2 or 3 starting QBs. Then...it depends on the experience and maturity of the "team". Are they capable of supporting 2 QBs with 2 separate packages.

It's high maintenance...but, there can be big returns, too. If done right. I didn't particularly like the way Richt did it. And, I wouldn't consider it myself...unless I had the likes of Beck, Vandergriff and Stockton, in the QB Room with Raiola on the way...and a top 5 defense to hold the line.

If I had what Kirby and Bobo have...I would start Beck, and run up the 1st half score. Turn the ball over to BVG and the running game, in the 2nd half...and eat up clock, while building OL/RB/WR experience (depth).

If the opposition stifles the Beck "downfield passing game" in the 1st half...bring in BVG to spread the defense out and create some one-on-one opportunities. Maybe, in that instance...bring Stockton in, sometime in the 2nd half, to close it out...and..."gain experience".

Lol...it's a pretty good position to be in, as an OC. But, it has to be handled delicately, to operate at resonance. If you can't do that, it's best to stay with the tradition single-QB. Otherwise, it could turn out bad. I've got confidence in Smart's connection with the players and Bobo's ability to manage the offense...else, I would never suggest it.

I believe Steve Spurrier ran out of the 2-QB System with Dean and Weurffel, before settling on the latter, the following year. Mostly because of Dean running his mouth to the press (maturity).

UF and Mullin used Richardson and what's-his-name, in 2021, before settling on Richardson in 2022.

UGA and Dooley used the 2-QB System in '74 or '75, with Ray Goff and I believe it was Andy Johnson (or something like that). Took em to a hard earned SEC Championship, in a tough Conference.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure it was used sparingly in the NFL at some point. But, can't remember who it was, right now.

IMO...The NFL is a lot different, anyway...due to the longterm contracts and long playing careers of QBs. They aren't dealing with a QB turnover, every 2 or 3 years, like the College game. It doesn't make sense for any NFL Team to go dual-QB for a long period of time. Maybe for a season, till they figure out direction.

Honestly...the way I see it...if College Football and the NFL continue to embrace the "running quarterback"...they may eventually have to go to a "Dual-QB System" out of self preservation. Running Quarterbacks tend to get injured more frequently with shorter playing careers than their pocket-passing colleagues. Lol...Michael Vick was used up after only 3 seasons. Where's Cam Newton, these days. On the flip side...Brady lasted over 20 years, Ryan lasted 15, Manning...about 16 or 17, Farve...forever.