Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
Undefined discussion subject.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How "close", the 2023 UGA offense, resembles "last year's offense", will ultimately be decided by which QB "wins the team over". IMO

I see a Beck offense, running more like the old Richt/Bobo offenses. BVG's offense will more closely resemble last year's Monkin brand.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 2023

@BigDawg61

I will keep banging this point. The folks who talk about how great the Monken offense was in 2022 as compared to the Richt/Bobo offenses conveniently ignore 2 things.

1. The only Richt teams with OLs anywhere near as good as the UGA lines in 2021-2022 were the 2002-2003 teams. UGA went 13-1 in 2022 and put up 5300 yards of total offense (3400 passing and almost 2000 rushing). In 2003? 11-3 due to having to play Saban and #1 LSU twice but the same: 3400 passing and - despite a by committee approach - 2100 rushing.
    2. Folks who hype Monken's 2022 offense seem to forget that he was the OC in 2020 also. With no difference makers on offense like Michel, Chubb, Swift, Bowers or Washington and the OLs who would spark the 2021-2022 run mostly underclassmen (2022 backups like Amarius Mims and Warren Ericson would have started in 2020), you see how that offense often struggled, even in games that they ultimately won like Kentucky and Cincinnnati.
    3. (I know that I said "2" but call this "2A"). Part of those struggles in 2020? Stetson Bennett IV. 56% completions with 8 TDs against 6 INTs and 200 passing yards a game. The protection wasn't nearly as good plus no future 1st round pick like Bowers drawing the defense's attention.

Next year Bobo is going to have 5 guys on the OL that will get drafted this year or next plus a likely top 10 draft pick in Bowers. So if his offense isn't as good as the Monken one in 2020, you will have a point. My guess is that it will rival the 2012 unit that scored 38 points per game against defenses that were a lot better than UGA generally played in 2022 (the SEC was a far more defensive oriented conference back then) at minimum, and despite being less experienced at QB and RB has a real shot at being better.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Any drop off from Monken to Bobo is expected to be minimal. IF there is a drop off it will probably come from 2 areas.

1) QB play. Inexperienced players make more mistakes. Mistakes equals turnovers. Turnovers lose games. The QB needs to grow up fast and play smart. I expect CKS to have the QB's in management mode to minimize mistakes. Like he did w/SBIV.

2) Losing McIntosh and DWash reduces the amount of offensive/play calling diversity of the '23 O. There will be less 2 TE sets and receiving out of the backfield. Those elements were difficult to anticipate and defend. A more predictable O is an easier O to defend.

UGA's O/team does not have to be better than the '22 O/team. Just better than everyone else's '23 team.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

"My guess is that it will rival the 2012 unit"____@thadec

Yessir...I've been saying the same thing. IF....Beck is "the guy", they WILL rival that team.

But, IF...BVG is good enough to beat out Beck for the job...that means he has put his passing game together, to go with his superior running game and pocket presence. If that happens...the 2023 offense is capable of blowing the 2012 team, and everybody else, off the field.

Lol...it's almost scary to think how good they could be with a fleet-footed gunslinger, that can throw accurately, 5 yds or 50, on the run (BVG)...And...a guy that can sit in the pocket and pick you apart if you give him time (Beck).

I've always envisioned that style of offense...with 2 equally talented, but, very different quarterbacks. My Dad and I used to play around with the "2-QB System" when I was a kid. It could be practically unstoppable if deployed right. But, it's complicated and high maintenance...and you need a team with experience and maturity to make it go.

The Dawgs, with the current coaching staff and their stacked QB Room are in prime position for a Goff/Johnson or Greene/Shockley scenario, with Beck/BVG.

If last year's draft proved anything...you don't have to have big stats to get drafted in the first 3 rounds. Just, hype and perception. Lol

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You makes some good points. I think the biggest thing is not just scheme which should be dictated by personnel but if those personnel are in a scheme other teams are used to seeing. Have a 2 TE scheme with 2 very unique TEs was a tremendous advantage over everyone in the country. Defenses simply could not prepare for this in a week.

Having a more traditional 1 TE offense will be easier for the good teams to defend. The thing lacking from Bobo's prior offenses here is a legit superstar running back. We don't know if we have one and that usually means you do not. I am holding out hope for Branson to be that guy. It is kind of unfortunate we do not have that superstar since our interior offensive line is built for a 1400 yards a year superstar running back like it hasn't been in awhile.

The other thing that will be different is that for several years we have been throwing the ball a lot to the running backs because we didn't have the depth at wr. This year that should change and we should see a lot of big gainers and a much more lethal offense imo. This offense should resemble a more downfield passing team like Alabama and score a ton of points and rack up a lot of yards. On the flip side it should be easier to defend against when we play good teams since they see this type of offense more often.

The big question is when the high powered air attack sputters will we be solid enough on the ground to sustain and pull out close games?