Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia baseball coach Scott Stricklin fired on brink of overdue facilities upgrade

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia baseball coach Scott Stricklin fired on brink of overdue facilities upgrade

ATHENS — Georgia baseball started its season on a dour note and ended it with a coaching change on Friday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I certainly wish coach all the best, but it's time for a change. Hopefully we can get a great coach in here to replace him. No excuse for us to not be competing for championships nearly every year.

Best of luck coach!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

Baseball and Basketball should be revenue sports at UGA and anything short of that should be viewed as a failure. To be this far behind in facilities and the roof falling in at the Stegosaurus is embarrassing. Build something that will make the instate players want to stay and wave the out of state tuition. Start by getting the best baseball coach available.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hate to see anyone lose their job but this is long overdone. Come on AD Brooks. Loosen the purse string and hire a proven winner. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Back in the 70's Ernie Vincent was a picture at UGA and lost a 2-1 decision in a close game. Coach Whatley walked in the dugout and said , "I stink, yall stink, we all stink so we're going to just sit here till the stink goes away." Ernie got up and said, "I pitched my ass off and I don't stink and he left." LOL never a word was said to him. We need better facilities and sure would help to be able to figure out how to finance out of state players. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

"baseball is a sport that does not allow full scholarship"____@MikeGriffith

I thought the NIL Collective was supposed to fix all of that?.

What is being done, outside of the University's Athletic Department and administrative control?

Of the various sources of revenue...NIL, donations, Alumni contributions, ticket and concession sales, etc....does ANY percentage go toward "tuition assistance" for "Student-Athletes" that are on "partial scholarship"...to make up the difference?

I can't believe an athletic Program wallowing in riches and wiping each other's butt with "Benjamin Franklin's"...won't spring for a "Full Scholarship"...for ALL of their Student-Athletes that compete on the "National", and at times, "Global" stage.

Please, make THAT, make SENSE. Is it an NCAA Rule? Is it a Georgia Law?

• Options

Seems to me...making sure every single Student-Athlete is taken care of, financially while they are participating in a UGA sport...would come before ANY "facilities upgrade". But, that's just me. Lol

• Options
    gafisherguygafisherguy Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

@MikeGriffith Thanks for the in depth article that needed to be written. It is absolutely embarrassing as a UGA grad and lover of SEC baseball that our program intentionally put itself at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting out of state players! You better believe the best coaches in the talent pool to replace Stricklin know this too, so it may affect our ability to get the very best candidate. Survival in SEC baseball every season is **** near impossible, so to not give our student athletes and our coaches the best chance to succeed is just an embarrassment. Arkansas is a great example of one school that waives out of state tuition, they are top 5 team in the nation and will play in the SEC tourney semi-final today. Their fan base is rabid and games at Baum stadium are electric.

I am glad to hear Josh Brooks is setting a standard for Regionals and advancement from Regionals for baseball. And I am glad they are finally stepping up with some improvements to the facilities. However, there needs to be a commitment to win in the most competitive SEC sport that exists, and that should include getting competitive in the recruiting arena just as we have enabled for football.

And getting new leadership WAS the right decision for this team. Hopefully the administration can get their act together and make an apparently tough decision, that doesn't seem so tough when looking at their successful SEC baseball peers.

• Options
    CMacDAWGCMacDAWG Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

het one thing straight .. there is nothing wrong with the location of Foley Field. It’s not the biggest or fanciest, but the setting is top notch. What is an embarrassment for UGA baseball is the amenities offered the players & fans.

the lack of baseball operations areas is appalling compared to every other school (except Missouri). To think that UGA was the first SEC school to win a NC in baseball & to not have top notch player facilities speaks loudly to the history of cheapness from the athletic department. It also speaks loudly to the lack of true leadership from the coaches that have led the program.

while I’m certainly glad the upgrades are coming … it’s been promised for years with no action … I just hope the things being done will be truly well thought out and add to the recruitment of players and the experience of the games!

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

That Covid year hurt coach Scott Stricklin, he had a team that possible could have won it all, and didn't have a chance to play because of the shutdown, after that the baseball draft took most of those players, and he pretty much had to start over with a lot of freshmen, and Sophomore, not sure if it would have made a difference, but would have like to have had a chance to see what that team could have done. I wish him the best.

• Options
    edited May 2023

UGA's so far behind with their Baseball Program...they're going to have to "out-do" EVERYBODY in their planned upgrades...just to stay "even". This will be the last upgrade, for 20 or 30 years...so, they better think that far "ahead"...or they're already "behind"...again.

FYI...Florida's Football Program is in relatively the same condition UGA's Baseball Program is in...just to add a little perspective.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stricklin was let down by the University. We need to be able to attract out of state players, and we need better facilities to train and develop athletes.