Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart’s Georgia football recruiting strategy, like picking strawberries

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart’s Georgia football recruiting strategy, like picking strawberries

ATHENS — Top recruits are coming to Georgia to win championships, but also to get on the field early.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Evaluations are not perfect. You want the best talent but sometimes the character is not there.

Guys who are entitled have been told their whole life they deserve this or deserve that. NIL has brought this stuff out of the darkness and exposes the guys who are 'greedy.'

The arguement used to be these poor players need the money to support family or wife and new baby and they want it now. At the big programs they have married housing and the NIL is more than adequate to focus on their 'trade.' Washington is a perfect example of a guy who did it the right way whereas Bear is not. Some guys will just have to be let go nicely through the portal. Team chemistry and good character are more important than just ability.

I think the issues we are seeing are part entitlement and part just being young and immature. I have 100 percent confidence the reality of their actions will become apparent when they are not playing or starting and then don't get drafted. This unfortunately is necessary and some guys will lose their spot and a future payday.

As far as kids picking Georgia, they know Kirby is handling it and their parents know as well which is why they are still coming. Kirby is doing the right things and handling privately any issue that come up as any person who is compassionate would want. That is class to not throw these kids under the bus. The kids and parents respect that and Kirby's legend just grows.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the way that Kirby thinks about recruiting - obviously, he is one of the best at getting elite recruits, but to shape the mindset of the young player, that it is all about the long ball, and not the short gratification is important. He is pushing the development, the relationships, the connections that players can make at Georgia and eventually get to what they came for - an opportunity in the NFL. Long term goals, instead of short term gains, that is a hard sell to kids, but Kirby and staff have been very successful with it. I think that not only builds trust on a team, but it also makes the player invest into the program, the more they give, the more they receive. It's a great concept and one that has a lot of life lessons attached to it. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not much else to say this was spot on. Go Dawgs.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the "strawberry" analogy....having lived near the Strawberry Capital of Poteet Texas, you learn quickly when picking from a friends field the you ONLY pick those that are uniformly bright red, green top, medium firmness and a sweet strawberry smell....ie, they're RIPE! Thank Goodness Kirby & Company have developed the most discerning palate in offering the Ripest prospects....one sure way for a "Star laden" prospect to not be offered is to start off talking NIL BS. Those clowns can go to Bama, TOS, USC et al.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who you select to recruit (i.e. offer) in '23 is not really about evaluations. The recruiting game has completely changed with NIL and play for pay.

"I am trying to get the ones that are going to stay", CKS. And work and develop.

As a fan the new (NIL) component is frustrating. You'd like to strawberry pick the best guys in the state of GA. There is so much talent here. But unless you fit the physical AND mental make up of what CKS wants in a UGA prospect you are not likely to be asked to enroll. CKS will find a prospect that does. Even if he is lesser ranked or from another state. NIL and the TP has forced this evolution.