Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: 2023 Georgia football motto yet to emerge, offseason narrative fluid

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: 2023 Georgia football motto yet to emerge, offseason narrative fluid

ATHENS — Kirby Smart has often said in the midst of his championship runs at Georgia that he doesn’t pay attention to the media.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Whatever comes will perfectly describe this team. You can count on it. GO GAWGS!!!

• Options
    edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior

How about?

Reach down but stand up!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love the humility that Coach Smart has shown lately. It is a testament to him growing as a coach and as an individual. There are many great coaches that have not gotten the bounces or the breaks and I think what we saw the last 2 years was we finally got some. It could of worked out differently.

I hope the players listent to coach and back up their tatoos with actions (start by driving a little slower please).

We have all the pieces to do it but look at Alabama last year. Nothing is guaranteed. Stay humble and work hard. Keep your nose clean.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not entitled.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

IMO...he might want to dial that "aw, shucks, we're just lucky to be here", persona down, just a bit.

The very thought that, 'there was a huge gap between BAMA and everybody else', has won Nick Saban "many-a-game". I would suggest that Kirby let people think what they want, with regard to, 'how good they are or will be'.

When you're in a position, where people think you are better than you actually are...it usually translates into wins that could've been losses. The reverse is true, with respect to underestimating the competition. I'd say Kirby has a pretty good handle on that one.

The mind is a powerful weapon. It can work for you...or, against you. Lol

• Options

There is truth to many teams losing the game before it has started. The Chicago Bulls perfected that with Jordan and Pippen. We are already in people's heads without acting arrogant. Bama certainly had that mystique as well for years.

Not too concerned about this year. If we lose I will be surprised but it will only be because we played a horribly poor game or just didn't try. I don't see Kirby letting that happen but it is possible we could lose. Possible...not probable. A hot LSU team is the only team I think can beat us. I still think we played awful against OSU and the referees let them hold us the entire game. Our defense will be much better this year. No one will come close imo.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

I agree with , everything you said. Good post, IMO.

I would add that, given the fact Kirby has virtually 2 teams that could take the field and "compete"...he has an advantage over every team on the schedule.

What's kinda funny to think about, is that...IF the "1st teamers" go out there and lay an egg in the 1st half...he can swap every single player out, with an equally capable, but less experienced (in some cases) "2nd Teamer".

That's a rare luxury for any Coach. No wonder he apologetically accepts praise...he's embarrassed to have so many talented athletes. Lol...and he shouldn't be...he created that solid foundation. Let people admire it, without the display of "false modesty".

Be proud...but, short of bragging. Like my dear ole Dad used to tell me... "You don't need to brag about yourself, when you're truly the best. People will do that for you. Nobody likes false modesty...but, they like a braggart even less. Know who you are and own it.".

• Options

We are in a really good spot. Recruiting is going great. If a borderline character guy who has immense talent starts to become a problem we will try to right that person and give them help but if all else fails they can be quietly moved on. That really is a luxury that recruiting has afforded us. Kirby is a relentless recruiter and equally demanding coach. There have been a lot of behind the scenes help given to both players and coaches who have made mistakes and I applaud Kirby for giving guys second chances when deserved.

No one is bigger then the team. I think that culture is real and I think the players understand that. We also need to remember they are 18-22 year olds and there is a difference between tough love and destroying a guy's life and dreams over misdemeanors. Anyways, it should be a fun year. I'm excited for South Carolina as that will be our first game to see what we have here.