Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Development of Carson Beck will be very telling for Georgia’s quarterback future

SystemSystem Posts: 10,443 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageDevelopment of Carson Beck will be very telling for Georgia’s quarterback future

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, and everything else UGA.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Carson Beck can be one of the best that Georgia has ever had. We'll see it's just a few months away. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So if I read between the lines, Connor expects Beck to be good but not great and return for one more year. Thus leaving a fairly big what if on the table for Vandergriff or Stockton in 24.

Connor did explain why, but it’s also possible Beck goes the route of JT. Hopefully not injured. But gets beat out by Vandergriff. Until those young men take the first snap, we all can speculate. Hopefully all three have a game plan in place with contingencies.

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bennett had further to go in development han any of the QB's currently of coming in next year. I expect a series of 1 and done QB's from UGA over the next few seasons.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have an odd feeling he may win the Heisman. I know that is a big take but I expect both Brock and Beck to be in New York. Beck is going to put up monster numbers and I expect Griff to throw for over a buck as well. We will set the UGA ppg record this year. 40+passing tds for Beck, 8 for Griff. Brock with 18 tds and 1200 yards.

Beck is 1 and done, Griff will be 1 and done and then it will be Raiola's turn for 2 years.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's kind of the way I see it, too. Bobo might surprise all of us...and, run out of a 2-QB System, with Beck/BVG in '23. BVG/Stockton in '24 and Raiola/Stockton in '25 with Puglisi getting some playing time...ending the "Big Five" with Raiola/Puglisi. After that, depends on the '25 and '26 recruiting classes.

Or...maybe not. Lol

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think CB will add some new dimensions to the passing game. He's tall and can see over the DL to get off those quick slants, which weren't SB's cup of tea. He has at least the arm strenth of SB and probably a little better. I don't think there's a pass he's not capable of making. So the talent is there. What remains to see if he has that refuse to lose/chip on his shoulder mentality that propelled SB. I think I saw that he does immediately after the NC game when CKS came over to him and hugged him, but CB didn't so much as even smile. It struck me a little strange at a time when everyone was celebrating or should be. I think CB was already focused on this season and his chance to be great!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

After reading some other internet chatter about the 2024 QB draft prospects, CB has to have a GREAT year to potentially break into that upper tier. But at the same time, those current high profile QBs may not have the season the prognosticators believe.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CB is set up for a big year with Lovett, Ladd, Bowers, Jack Saint, Smith, etc. then throw in the fact we have the most dominant OL in the country. Going to be lights out this year for our offense.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

"that refuse to lose/chip"... as you say...is something EVERY "Great Athlete" has. Bennett always had it, but, wasn't always given credit for it, when discussing his quarterback traits. Only AFTER the 2022 season was it highlighted or referenced. Before that..."it was the defense". Lol

If he had a bad game (Alabama)...he was given little, to no "cover" from the Coaching Staff, the Fans or most in the press. Who knows...maybe that's what drove him. So be it. Good football player.

I'm still not sure about Beck or BVG. Seems to me....

Both, started out with far more to work with than Bennett...high profile HS's, Coaching pedigrees in the Fam, QB Camps for exposure...and supposedly more athletic ability...though, neither was able to unseat Bennett...or Daniels. This is Beck's 4th yr and BVG's 3rd...if they had "the chip" ...where has it been? Why hasn't either one of em "broken out" yet? That's the stone in my shoe, when it comes to the "Beck or Vandergriff?" question.

Stockton could be the best of both...but, can He lead, yet? If he outperforms everybody in the Summer OTA's and Fall Camp...then, Yes...the team would get behind him. But, it won't happen outright. All 3 QB's will be given an opportunity to show their game and build some tape...in case they have to transfer. It will be obvious, in the meeting room and film breakdown...who the better QB option is. It will have to be obvious...if anybody other than Beck is named "Starter".

The "thing" that would be a BIG problem...team-wise...is, if the starting QB isn't the "best guy", in the eyes of the team leaders. I.e., if Beck is the "starter", just because he's senior. Not good. Seen it, done it, been there. Team unity is a fragile thing and important for any teams Championship aspirations. Everybody has to be bought-in...whatever the decision.

Could explain why Fields decided to leave after Smart's 3rd year coaching....just sayin'. Afterall...Kirby hadn't had time to completely install his "culture" of leadership and unity, at that point.

One thing is certain. Bobo has 3 potential "Starters"...and, he's bound to lose a couple after this season. If you're Bobo...you want to make doggone sure, you don't let this opportunity slip through your fingers by being timid. You HAVE to find the best of the three...this year. And, preferably one that's going to be around for a couple of years.

If he's ready, I'd go with the youngun'...Stockton. Not draft-eligible for 2 years. Or...Beck/Stockton in a 2-QB System that occasionally allows for 2 quarterbacks on the field at one time...if both can block, catch and run. I'm assuming they can...they're football players...and, I assume they want to play some football and "help the team".