Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC kicks off spring meetings in pursuit of new schedule model, denies chasing money

SystemSystem Posts: 7,422 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageSEC kicks off spring meetings in pursuit of new schedule model, denies chasing money

MIRAMAR BEACH, Fla. — Greg Sankey kicked off the SEC meetings on Monday with a preemptive strike, stating that “money follows, it doesn’t lead” where the proposed schedule models are concerned.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The B1G has a 9-game conference schedule. We should too.

Instead, this year we play Ball State, UAB, and UT Martin. These kind of games should have been eliminated long ago. I feel sorry for the current season ticket holders.

Greg, Money or not, move it to 9 conference games. The fans have spoken adamantly for this change in format.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The B1G does not have mid tier and lower tier teams like the SEC doesn. No comparison. ESPN needs to pay for this. No gimmes in the business world. No freebies.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saban's unhappiness about the 3 permanent rivals in the 9-game scenario is well documented. He doesn't want to have to face Tenn, LSU and Auburn every year. He is the only voice I have heard that is against the 3 rival model. Kirby doen't seem to care. It will be interesting to see how much weight Saban can throw around to influence a vote for the 8-game, 1 rival model. Now, that Tenn and LSU are getting better, Saban would love to avoid the possiblity of having to play them yearly.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg888...I'm not going to sit here and debate with you over which conference - the SEC or the B1G - is better. They are definitely the Top 2. Depends on the year, but IMHO, the SEC still reigns KING most years. But, the B1G already plays 9-conference games, and I don't think they would appreciate your comment about their conference (even though I may agree with you). But, the majority of sports writers, fans, and alum like me want more conference games. Call us selfish. If ESPN agrees to pay us then great, but if we don't go to 9-conference games because they won't pay us accordingly then I just think that's hypocritical and has Sankey talking out of both sides of his mouth.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Until the B1G starts winning the championship every other year or more which the SEC has been doing now for almost 20 years then who really cares what they think. They have good football and I like watching it but telling me that Minnesota Purdue is a must watch is non-sense. The matchups with the middle and lower tier teams are snoozers. Now I say this pretty unbiased because I grew up on Pac10 ball back when they played defense. The B1G is very top heavy with basically 4 teams and then no one else.

So if Georgia plays 8 games and 1 big matchup (see Oregon, Clemson, etc.) what's the difference? Are you saying that Oregon or Clemson is not equal to another mid tier B1G team?

So Alabama plays Texas and LSU plays FSU. On and on we can go with this. The 8 team schedule allows to schedule some big out of conference games that generate a lot of interest. Do you remember when Georgia played a home and home with Notre Dame? pretty cool wasn't it?

Anyways, adding an additional 9th conference game is not the be all to end all and really does not make a big difference in the scheme of things. However, if you are going to do it I am in still in favor of divisions with Auburn and Alabama coming to join us in the east. I like the conference championship because it really does mean something to win this conference and I feel it should be done on the field. No ties...this is not soccer.