Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Missouri’s Eli Drinkwitz, Florida’s Billy Napier fire opening shots on schedule debate

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Missouri’s Eli Drinkwitz, Florida’s Billy Napier fire opening shots on schedule debate

DESTIN, Fla. — Missouri coach Eli Drinkwitz called upon his educational background to sum up the behind-the-scenes dealings at the SEC spring meetings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

“I do think Commissioner (Greg) Sankey makes a good point,” Drinkwitz said. “If it ends up at eight (game league schedule), we’d be only the Power 5 conference with an eight game conference schedule.”

SO, if you are worried about SOS when it comes to the playoffs then I'd say a 9-conference game schedule gives you a much better chance of getting more SEC teams in. And, if I'm a season ticket holder, I'd much rather see the Dawgs play Texas A&M at home than Ball State.

SO Sankey, if this isn't really about money then what gives? Honestly, this debate is really silly. The correct answer is plain to see, and the fans have adamantly spoken for the 9-game conference schedule.

JUST DO IT!!!

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Doesn't bammy already play those three every year?

Doesn't SOS cut both ways? Do you get more credit if you beat cupcakes than if you lose to tough teams?

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At first I thought 9 games would be great with the 3-6 model. However, I have issues with this for a variety of reasons.

-A 9 game 2-7 model with 2 divisions is actually what I would prefer with 1 permanant opponent in the other division and 7 rotating. Move Alabama and Auburn over to the East. That solves the Auburn issue. Move Missouri to the West with Texas and Oklahoma.

So

Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Auburn

and

LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Ole Miss, MSU, Texas A&M

There would still be a conference championship game. I would not mind doing an 8 game with 2 divisions and 1 permanant in the other division. I like the divisions and like the conference championship.

One big conference with 9 games AND a conference championship is NOT preferable as it is luck of the draw and many teams will have a scorched earth schedule eliminating them unnecessarily from the playoff. This is really a dumb idea except for fans. However the first time your team is left out because they played Alabama, Georgia, Texas, and LSU in a row and your star players got injured you will change your mind as a fan. Plus this is bad for players to have this gauntlet. If the SEC is dumb enough to do this without getting paid a lot more then that is just bad business all the way around.

• Options
    edited May 2023

@BigDawg888...

Understand your concerns but divisions are going away no matter what, so that part of your argument is DOA.

A 9-game conference schedule rotates every year, so if you have a really tough schedule one year then you may not the next year. Looking at the Dawgs SEC East schedule for the past decade, we have had it MUCH easier than the West division for a long time. Do you think that is fair? The SEC East has been a joke. Yet, Bama has still dominated the West for the most part and won plenty of Nattys along the way. If you want to play with the big boys, then you have to survive the gauntlet. Bama has proven that to be elite you need to be able to play more of the best teams to make it through.

The new expanded playoff and 9-game SEC schedule will force the best teams to have a deep pool of talent on their bench to survive that gauntlet. If they don't, then I'm not going to whine about it. Injuries are part of the game, and the team that makes it to the NC game will have possibly played a 17 game season. A deep talented bench is what Kirby has been preaching about for years and that's why recruiting and our transfers are SO important now. You need more than just bodies - you need very talented bodies to fill in. Serious, season-ending injuries occur more on the practice field than in actual games. I'm not going to whine if injuries take us out of the competition. However, I will whine about playing Ball State, UAB, and UT Martin in the same season and playing the SAME patsies in the SEC East every year.

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

The SEC Championship game should go the way of the DoDo and end with this expended conference schedule. The SEC used to crown a champion without the championship game and even fewer conference games. Make the CFP Committee decide their criteria and select the best teams. The expanded CFP add difficult games to any team which aspires to win a championship, so if your conference wants to win championships don't hurt your best teams by making them mash heads again before the playoffs.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why is Billy Napier concerning himself with how SOS factors into making the playoffs? Is he asking for a friend/colleague who might actuality have a chance?

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited May 2023
  • Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just do not agree with this. However, I think the conference should have a rule that the 2nd team to go into the playoffs has to be the runner up if their are no divisions. If their are divisions then that rule not need apply. I think the reason for this is obvious in a no division league that only takes the top 2 teams. But if you don't get it imagine the top 2 teams both have 2 losses and then they play and one team ends up with 3 losses. Howevery their are 1 or 2 other teams that did not make the championship game that only have 2 due to head to head losses. Those other teams that were originally not in the top 2 do not get in over the loser of the championship game.

And before you say championship games are like dodo birds, I think winning your conference should only be done on the field otherwise we are like soccer with ties. Boo on the soccer co championship tie stuff.. BOO

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

How about a 2-6 instead. 2 permanent and 6 rotating? For us it should be Florida and Auburn.

• Options
    edited May 2023

@street0123...I have to disagree with you on this one. The Conference Championship games (for all conferences) setup an advantage in the expanded playoffs, because the (4) highest ranked conference champions get a BYE the first round of the playoffs. That is HUGE. The loser of the CG will probably still make the playoffs, but they will have an additional game to play. So, there is even more reason now to have a conference championship. It lines up perfectly.

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ok, I am going to be unrealistic. First, no team should be in the Southeastern conference that is not from the Southeastern states. One tradition blown right there. Second, no amount of scheduling is going to bring back the traditions and rivalries of the past. And why is all of this happening? The money, that's why. In the end,money trumps all other considerations for collage football. It's a shame, but that's the way it is in these times.

• Options
    edited May 2023

@Tom_Bomadil...of course it is! This whole SEC is a corporation with many players and staff getting paid.

College football has now become a semi-professional money laundering operation with the advent of NIL. And it's going to get worse before it gets better, especially with State legislatures making up different rules for each State that tries to gain a competitive advantage for their State schools.

But, let's get past all that and just see how much fun it will be to watch more highly competitive games with a 9-game conference schedule and expanded playoffs!!

• Options
    MaconDawgMaconDawg Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

To paraphrase the immortal Lewis Grizzard, tell it all Coach Drink, tell it all! These coaches are as insecure and paranoid as the the neediest of the needies. If you want to be playing for the big prizes, you gotta play with the titans. We need to play 10 SEC games, not 9 - that was the great thing about the Covid season no cupcakes, except for maybe the Commodores. Come on coaches and Presidents. Quit worrying about paying Ball State not to come for a beat down and schedule some better competition for the fans in the stadium. The money will follow, even if we have an L hung on us. That means no cupcakes - schedule Clemson every year to start the season (stealing that from Bill Shanks). Schedule the Jackets and the Semi-holes and put the fans first. Enough whining, lets get to winning competitive big games in Athens!

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

I rate Drinkwitz as the sleaziest coach in the SEC. He really needs to study his history books about what happens to coaches whose bark is louder than their bite who lose more games than they win. He is definitely a pretender, selling elixirs to the Mizzou fan base.