Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Alabama coaching legend Nick Saban issues dire warning on direction of college football

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited May 2023 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Alabama coaching legend Nick Saban issues dire warning on direction of college football

MIRAMAR BEACH, Fla. — SEC coaching legend Nick Saban warned everyone years ago that collegiate football was headed for free agency with its decision to relax transfer rules.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

I agree with some of what Nick said, but I don't see how you create a realistic union system within college football. You'd have to do it with all other college sports too then.

Yes, college football has now become a semi-professional money laundering operation with the advent of NIL. And it's going to get worse before it gets better, especially with State legislatures making up different policies in each State that ultimately tries to gain a competitive advantage for their State schools. The NCAA is useless and doing nothing to try and reign in the efforts these States are going to in order to test the boundaries of the current NIL "rules" and push their schools. It's going to all blow up some day.

• Options
    edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with Saban but at least now he has to outbid the other schools out in the open?

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with Queen Saban! It’s the wild, wild West now. Some may like all that’s going on, but I don’t. Greed has taken over college football.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Money is killing college sports. It is turning into pro sports junior. Only now the college athletes are even less mature and able to handle their success ($$$) than the pro's are.

A return to the old model would be better for college sports. IF you don't want to play college sports under the old, non-professional rules declare for the draft after high school and take your chances.

But that won't happen. So you need to change college sports 1 baby step at a time. The 1st step should be to re-establish sitting out after transfer unless you graduate or the coach is fired. Stop the tampering first.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I could usually care less what Saban has to say. But I'll have to agree with him on this issue. If standards for NIL aren't put into place, it'll soon be the end of college football. It will become a minor leauge for the nfl, same as farm teams for Major Leauge Baseball. If this happens, college football will be as much fun to watch as the nfl.. And the nfl= no fun leauge.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really don't care about it turning into the semi-pros. It was that way before but some schools were better at cheating or had a brand name that the NCAA would not punish fwiw. Now it is in the open. So now the playing field is more even then before. These universities are making gobs of money so of course the product creating it deserves something. No issue with that either.

I think it is better now because we don't have to pretend anymore that people aren't cheating. Now they don't need to cheat because it is legal.

As far as traditions go, traditions change and new ones get created. That is life. Just be thankful they still have to wait 3 years before going pro...that is the one that will change everything and it is just around the corner (I expect that to change in 5-10 years). Look for kids to jump right to the USFL and then to the NFL bypassing college completely. The number that will do that is small so it should not effect the college game too much unlike roundball and hockey.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Too many problems to address in a post. Lol. What College Football needs, is the same thing any organization or business needs..."Leadership with a vision and buy-in". Pretty much, what Kirby supplied to the Bulldogs would work for College Football.

They should create a "governing organization" for College Football, with the authority to hold people accountable to following "actual rules". Something our Society saw fit to abandon, years ago.

Oh...wait! What about the National Collegiate Athletics Association? Lol. This is all corrupt as hell...just like the rest of our Country's "organized anything". I'm sick of it, myself.

Don't look for any relief from Congress or the Justice System. Not enough money or Votes in it for em. If we don't start showing up to vote..."making crooks rich" will be our destiny. Right now...they're supposed to be serving us. Does it feel like they're serving the people...to any of you?

There needs to be a serious movement from the Fans in order to effect change in College Sports. And, I'm not just talking about Football.

• Options
    edited May 2023

I nominate Nick Saban for NCAA President! Time to retire from Coaching and straighten this organization out.

He's got the "Juice" to do it, too. IMO

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby Smart had interesting things to say about the portal and NIL. He sorta said that the $ aspect was serving to self-select against players that his program had less interest in. There was also an implication that the portal and NIL might help the level of players that weren't getting playing time on the big-time teams but might get rewarded by the "lesser" programs.

One of the heads of talk noted that back at the beginning of NIL, Saban was proudly proclaiming how they had gotten the latest Heisman guy a million bucks. Just sayin'.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

No one is twisting arms to sign a LOI. Kids are free to enter the business world after HS. Things have gotten worse since politicians stuck their nose in everything.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can try to make lemon-aide out of a lemon but it's still sour.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Neither Saban nor the NCAA turned CFB into pro football. Politicians turned CFB into pro football. Specifically CA politicians (Fair Pay to Play Act) pushed the college sports into this era.

As I recall the NCAA was against professionalizing college sports saying it would cause chaos. But once it got into the hands of the US Gov't the NCAA was powerless to to stop it. Knowing it was a no win situation the NCAA let it drop into the laps of Congress. Good luck with that. Expect CFB to be FU BAR'd from now on.

The big programs will still get the prize recruits. Some will pay more than others. Then the big schools will cherry pick the over achievers from the lower CFB ranks. A program can be turned around in 2 years (see AU and CO).

CKS is trying to make the best out of a bad situation by prioritizing recruits that want to develop and not immediately money grab. This will work as long as UGA is putting 10+ players into the NFL every season.

But CFB as we have known it it gone (forever?).

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

Placing restrictions on the ability to transfer and play immediately will address a lot of the problems. Maybe give the athletes one time to transfer or maybe only let them in certain situations. Not sure what the answer is but someone out there has it.

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Me thinks Coach Saban doth protest too much. His first and only real priority is what's best for Bama. Anyone who believes that his statements are based on the greater good are naïve at best.

• Options

@ATD ....Lol...guess you can count me as "naive". IMO...Saban is too old and wise to angle for a small advantage, at the expense of the game "he loves".

I believe he...and, most of the " top tier coaches" have the best interests of College Football and the Student Athlete at heart, first and foremost. College Football must be healthy, for a Championship of any kind, to mean anything. Saban and Smart know that.

IMO....The level of "Competition" among all of the Power 5 Teams is what made College Football one of America's greatest and most profitable organized sports. If all boats aren't raised at the same time...some of the smaller boats will be swallowed by the rising water. Diluting the competition serves no good purpose...but, that's what's happening.

I believe many factors have had a negative impact over the years...but, the latest, involving NIL and The TP, may be the straws that broke the Camel's back. It's really hard to envision what the College Football game will look like in 10-20 years if they continue down this self-destructive path.

But...I guarantee you, as long as somebody can make a dollar from it....there WILL be a Champion. And, it'll be UGA, Alabama, OSU, Clemson, LSU, USC, OU, UM, ND,...or one of the other "usual suspects". Lol...so, why not just cut to the chase...and, peel those teams out of their current Conferences, to create one 20-Team Super-Conference?

• Options
    edited May 2023

Actually...I just had an idea. How bout...creating a "40 team Super Conference"...with "4 10-Team Divisions"...East, West, North, South.

You would play all 9 of the teams in your division...plus "1 home-and-home" from each of the other 3 divisions, to rotate every other year...for a total of 12 games.

At the end of the year...winner of the East would play winner of the West...and, winner of the North would play winner of the South in a New Year's Bowl.

The winner of the two New Year's Bowls, would face off in a true Championship game in the 2nd week of January. Give that a big name, as the NFL did, with "Super Bowl Sunday LXVI"...rather than a common "19## NFL National Championship".

This may or may not work...but, it's the kind of bold vision and innovation that's gonna be required to fix this mess. Personally, I believe my idea would be fun...and, very profitable. Copyright reserved. Lol