Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC appears headed for temporary 8-game scheduling model, could affect Georgia-Auburn rivalry

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageSEC appears headed for temporary 8-game scheduling model, could affect Georgia-Auburn rivalry

MIRAMAR BEACH, Fla. — The SEC appears likely to stick with an eight-game league schedule for the next year or two, and if that turns out to be the case, commissioner Greg Sankey is not apologizing for it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great point. You think Coach Smart might be using this to persuade a home/home with the gators.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Under an 8 game format we should have 4 SEC home and 4 SEC away games each year. If Florida is our permanent rival, when we are the home team, we will only have 3 SEC home games because one of those home games will be in Jacksonville. Besides the money from Jacksonville, why would we do this?!

• Options
    DannyMcGDannyMcG Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

We've been playing the same teams for 30 years. While I've loved the UGA -UF, UGA-AU, and more recently the UT and even USC Jr, rivalries, I'm not bothered at all by giving any of those up to have games more frequently with Bama, LSU, Ole Miss, A&M, and now UT Burnt orange and OU, etc.. The home schedules are going to be so much more fun because of this, and I'd prefer 9 games even if it means fewer "rivalry" games. Playing teams every other year will be great and can create rivalries as much as playing teams every year when those "rivalries" hit lulls due to teams hitting down cycles in their success. Change can be good.

• Options
    fanchmanfanchman Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

The 9-game schedule preserves 3 rivalry games, while the 8-game schedule only has 1 rivalry game. Either schedule has Georgia playing every team once every 2 years. At least Georgia has several good Power-5 non-conference games scheduled over the next decade if the league stays at 8 conference games.

• Options
    CMacDAWGCMacDAWG Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

If UGA & AUful wanna play every year … they can. It very easy! Some years it’s an SEC game & some years it’s not.

• Options
    fanchmanfanchman Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

That's what we have now (3 home SEC games & 4 home SEC games with Florida at Jacksonville). A 9-game schedule would allow 4 home and 4 away every year, not counting Florida.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They're going to do what they're going to do, but I don't think other conferences are saying the SEC isn't a true champion because they only play 8 conference games; I think they are saying that if the SEC went to 9 games, they may not still produce the champion every year because, over time, that tough extra game might cost a team a loss. But I do disagree with Kirby's assessment that this is the most overrated debate ever. No coach, that distinction would go to all the back-and-forth over the site of the Georgia-Florida game, which is a totally unnecessary discussion. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

Only one team will be designated home-and-home. "Ga vs Fl" will be UGA's annual opponent. Everybody else will rotate. There's no "guarantee", that the Dawgs will play AUB, TENN or anybody else.

However...it does mean the Dawgs could conceivably face, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, LSU, AUB, Florida, Mizzou and ARK...all in the same year. To top that off, their non-conference schedule could include the likes of Clemson, OSU and/or USC I don't like it!

What "Fail-safes" will be put in place, to ensure 1 team isn't fighting for their life against the SEC's best, from the very 1st game of the season?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

IMO...It's a no-brainer...an "8-game/1-7" format means the end of "The neutral game". At least, as far as the Gators and Jacksonville are concerned.

In fact...if that's the case...I'd much rather see the Dawgs playing Bama, Oklahoma, Texas or LSU every year, vice Florida. But...that's just me. Lol

A loss to one of those teams probably won't do much damage to your post-season goals...but, a "win" against one of em in any given year, could "put you over the top" and cinch your CFP Berth...in the post-season conversation & narrative.

A win against a 7-5 Florida team...ain't gonna help you much...but, a loss could hurt. I don't see Florida amounting to much, anytime soon. They've reverted back to their "pre-Spurrier, '70's-'80's, mediocre selves". Lol...maybe they can get Charlie Pell back.

Perfect Time to start a new "Rivalry".