Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BREAKING: 5-star LB Sammy Brown commits to Clemson, shuts down his recruitment

2»

Comments

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hard to understand why someone like Sammy Brown-- a Georgia resident-- would choose to commit to Clemson over Georgia. UGA has better academics, better football program, better college town, and better career opportunities in state than Clemson. Plus, Clemson plays in an inferior conference and their program is in decline while Georgia is sending record number of graduates to the NFL while going for a third consecutive national title. It is not rational.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SB - "I am definitely super close with Coach Swinney and Coach Goodwin,” Brown said. “They are both really great people who love the game of football. Coach Swinney has done a great job of building the best culture in college football. There’s a reason that almost no one enters the transfer portal. Coach Goodwin is a genius when it comes to defensive football. They want me to be an inside backer and tell me that I will have a chance to come in and compete for some playing time. With Barrett Carter and Jeremiah Trotter leaving, that gives me a great opportunity.”

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Dawgs check all his boxes except for 1. Getting on that field early at middle linebacker.

• Options

He likes the Culture there better than UGA also. Evidently he sees something beyond winning more football games than any other team. Everyone has to find their own"brotherhood".

• Options

Yeah! I guess the culture of brotherhood(sharing your why), bringing out the best in you(tough practice's), emphasis on excellence(staff, facilities, etc.), active fan base, development, oh and yeah winning. Probably made him cringe. LoL

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

Brown considers almost no one, as 22 Clemson players who have entered the transfer portal since 11/2022, not even 8 months ago. I'd say thats considerably more than almost no one. Enjoy clemson, sc young man.

• Options

@1SICemDAWGS1

I guess he doesn't know as much about the program he signed with as he thinks he does.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

If he wasn't a fit at UGA, why was UGA 1 of the 5 finalist for Brown? Seems he'd know better than anyone that he wasn't a fit for the defensive scheme at the school recruiting him. Yet he still placed UGA in his final schools. I'd say it's more of Brown wanting to see the field early (he basically stated that in his commitment tweet, he states, with Trotter, and Barrett gone it'd help him gain playing time) something he wouldn't have done at UGA as a freshman, or sophomore. Not with all the PROVEN college LB's already on the DAWGS roster..and several highly recruited LB's in waiting. UGA will be fine without Brown. I wouldn't trade Jamon Dumas-Johnson, or Smael Mondon Jr., for Sammy Brown. They've both proven they can play and succeed, in the toughest conference in college football, the SEC. Brown has yet to prove a thing at the college level, against players as good, or better than him. High School accolades are irrelevant if you can't produce at the next level, and back up all the media hype bestowed upon you. We can spin it anyway we want. Only 1 really knows why he chose clemson, and it's not me, or you.. Only Brown has that answer.

• Options

This is my last comments about this and I saw a video from the The Film Guy Network. He broke it down to the style of defense that SB thrives in and its not Georgia's it's Clemson's. But me personally, I would want to know all types of defenses. It would only add to my value. Georgia wants smart players who can react on the fly. I think that's why we don't get fooled in the run game. I have noticed that some schools want players to operate in the most simplified system with the less you have to think the better. Kirby said as much and it upset Tenn fans.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Riddick stays but if not we will be fine for the next 3 years. Plus that kid from Texas may come here. Either way we will be fine barring injuries. Injuries absolutely do happen though so that cannot be overlooked.

As far as Sammy goes he is a great kid. I talked to a parent from his track team and everyone thinks the world of him. Wish we had got him but our talent pool is so deep right now only the most elite lb would think about coming. I just think he knew that he might not end up starting til his 3rd year here which is not optimal. Like I said only the most confident and most elite are going to come at lb this year. That is why I think the kid from Texas may come anyways because he the bona fide #1 lb in this class.

I wish him the best but when we play him next year I hope he is gets run over by Branson and Rod! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2023

Y’all may have noticed that I’m pretty forgiving (going as far as defending) grammar and spelling when others want to criticize. This got me, though:

“He’s the son of a high school football coach and a two-time state wrestling champion.” So, is his dad a coach and his mom a wrestling champ? Does he have two dads? Maybe his mom is a coach and his dad was a champ. Or is it that he’s the son of a coach, and is also a two-time champ, himself? My guess is the latter, but who’s to say?

(This comment is mostly in fun, but remember, folks: commas save lives 🤣)