Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ladd McConkey already generating national media buzz entering 2023 season

SystemSystem Posts: 10,558 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageLadd McConkey already generating national media buzz entering 2023 season

Georgia fans already know how good wide receiver Ladd McConkey he is. He finished the 2022 season with 58 receptions for 762 yards and seven receiving touchdowns. He’s also served as a punt returner for the Bulldogs and added two rushing touchdowns.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 228 ✭✭✭ Junior

McConkey is a beast and is sneaky good when running routes - I suspect that in his early days, many doubted his abilities but with the national media and Jim Nagy from the senior bowl giving him pre-season props, he will be on everybodies' radar. That's ok, when you got the skills, you'll show them all!

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best of luck to McConkey, hope he avoids the injury bug. I see him as a Julian Edelman type receiver....

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

Connor… I love you, man… but you would benefit greatly from having someone edit your work before posting! 😬

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2023

Connor… I love you, man… but you would benefit greatly from having someone edit your work before posting.

No kidding! So annoying to have to stop 3-5 times in a read and ask… “What is he saying” . Re-read. Not just Conner! They want to blame it on auto-correct. Annoying especially to us Senior members. More the acceptable norm for younger generations. -Annoyed Daily

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Back when Ladd signed there were 186 WR's rated higher than him.....I suppose being a HSQB had something to do with that, however as I've always contended, HS Stars and ratings mean squat. Thank Goodness Kirby recognized that if we make this young man a DAWG, He'll bring the DAWG bit! I wouldn't trade Ladd for any WR currently playing! GOOOO DAWGS, SICEM!

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

I see him as a "Billy 'White-Shoes' Johnson" type player. Dependable receiver and playmaker, with punt/KO return skills. Or a Percy Harvin type offensive component. He has the skills and athleticism to be a game-changer, at the next level, if he can stay healthy and continue to improve his focus and ball-handling skills.

I call em "Wild Card Skill" guys. They have a natural ability to play the game of football...at a number of positions...in multiple capacities. He and Bowers, both fit that mold, as far as I'm concerned...Bennett and McIntosh, as well. I think the "Wild Cards" are Kirby's favorite players to recruit and coach-up, cause they play the game, with their heart..

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with you whole heartedly, my friend. There IS some value in the ranking system, as it sets a bar. You need a baseline to do any kind of player comparison...and, IMO...The various recruiting services perform just such a service for HC's College/NFL Football Programs across the Country..free of charge.

That being said...if you put it in perspective...

There are millions of kids in America, that are football eligible, every year. Of those...tens of thousands choose to play. And of those that choose to play...there are thousands presented to Universities for scholarship consideration. Thousands.

If you want to boil that large group of youngsters down into a "best-of-the-best" group...labeled ESPN's top 300...or top 100. "HOF/All American" type Players are gonna get missed...and have been missed. Finding those hidden diamonds, is and always has been, "Kirby Smart and Company's" specialty. They can have NIL/TP as long as that's true.

In reality...very little, separates the #300 player, from the #10 player. The more high exposure a kid has...the higher he'll be rated. You can't account for various anomalies...such as home life a child has no control over;...position switch or injury...ineligible until Senior year of HS...was not given an opportunity to attend the various football camps...and a thousand and one other possible reasons for a "great player" flying under the radar.

That's where it pays to have "bird dogs"...media and HS Coaching contacts, all over the Country, to flag those "prospect projects" for you. I'll guarantee you...Kirby's "must have" recruiting list for '24, '25, '26...and, beyond, has several barely-ranked players on it, you've probably never heard of. I don't give the "Star Rating System" nearly as much weight as most people. But, it does have value in the recruiting game, IMO..

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very high praise. I remember how much I hated Percy Harvin in those ügly swamp colors. Would have loved him with a G on his helmet.

Nicely done with the Wild Card Skill guys. You are on to something I think.

Could you explain what you mean by multiple capacities?

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another great get by Kirby and staff. Some of our best players have been 3 stars. It's amazing that Tennessee didn't offer him and was his dream school.

Their loss our gain.

Kirby seems to have a very good way to evaluate players and it seems to pay off big time.

If you get an offer from Georgia it doesn't matter how many stars you have. You are a star. Period.

Kang Kirby is King of College Football!

• Options
    ProKnoProKno Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

We love you Ladd. Looking for you to have a record setting season.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

This 2023 receiving group for the Dawgs should be unstoppable, like almost on par with the 2018 Alabama group or 2019 LSU group of receivers. But only if CKS gives Mike Bobo and Carson Beck the green light to let if fly. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 382 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m telling y’all, Ladd the Impaler is going to continue to do great things for UGA. I love that kid, and agree with the notion that that slate of drops were a blip, not a trend, and didn’t deserve the criticism they received. I really don’t think they even would have received it if he hadn’t already established himself as an incredibly reliable and slippery guy. Go Dawgs!