Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC getting the last laugh on college football world, again

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageSEC getting the last laugh on college football world, again

ATHENS — The SEC is getting the last laugh on the college football world once again.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@street0123 agree, but it's a big moneymaker, so I don't see it going away

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So the fact that the Big Ten plays nine conference games has been somewhat mitigated by its toothless title games.

Toothless title game! You tell 'em, Mike! Be sure to mention this on Paul's show!🤣🤣🤣🤣

I love the SEC championship game, and would hate to see it go away, but with all that's going on and with potentially more games being played, I can see it doing so.

Whatever! Just win, Dawgs! Just win!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

the conference championship could be a rematch of a previously played game earlier in the season. The SEC could declare the best record the champion. But then there are ties and let us not forget all that $$$$$

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 276 ✭✭✭ Junior

This and the update on Stetson...you're hitting it out of the park today, Mike!

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great info MG, thanks for the good work!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You want ESPN to pony up? Tell them the additional 8 SEC games will be televised by whoever buys their rights since they are outside the original ESPN/SEC contract. Watch how fast ESPN throws more money at the SEC.

Now THAT is a great idea....could not agree more!!!

If money talks, as so many have said.... then let it!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Like Mike said, it's too big of a money maker. If ESPN somehow figures up a way to fork out a large amount of cash to each SEC school annually, besides the SEC network, enough to forgo the championship game, then maybe. Yeah only 2 play in it, but it also helps the collective of schools. ESPN would have to add that to their already deep hole they're in with trying to force the SEC to 9 conference games.

• Options
    SquareSquidSquareSquid Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman
    edited June 2023

I’m not worried one iota about access to the playoffs with eight games. But as a fan, I want rivalry games and I want the home schedule to be great every year. We can “laugh” at other leagues all we want, but there’s not much better than seeing marquee games at home.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah, easy decision to just stand pat and let the money come in to cover the contractual buyouts or, let just let the schedule free itself up after the non-conference contracted games are played or are mostly played. And in the meantime, while the people who get paid to share their take and get clicks, shoot their opinions off... JUST KEEP WINNING IN THEIR FACES BABY!