Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Closer look: Why ESPN ranks two-time champ Georgia the No. 3 team of the 2020s

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgfromduluth...clickbait, yes....but actually Disney stock is up from where it was 6 months and a year ago...

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What did I tell yall, about ESPN, Bill Connelly and "Statistics"??? Lol

"even if that would make his team appear more dominant to poll voters or in metric-based rankings."_____@MikeGriffith

Which is exactly....what Smart wants to do. In addition to the other reasons...injury, health, depth, experience, etc.. But, mainly to pump the brakes on "Hype"...the death nell of any Champion.

Bill Connelly's sole mission at ESPN, is to keep the BIG10 & PAC12 relevant. Those are his babies and he's been bottle-feeding them for 2 decades. He's a big Michigan/OSU fan. Lol....wonder how both of those teams wound up in the CFP...along with an overmatched Cincinnati and TCU team from the BIG12.

Amazing...it looks like that those same BIG10/Big12/PAC10 teams of the "BCS Era" aren't as prevalent in post-season play, as they were under the ole "algorithm generated"...computer-based Champions of the "pre-CFP" Era. Must be 'cause they haven't fudged the numbers right just yet, huh?. Lol...Don't fret...Connelly is workin' on it.

As far as statistics without context...just keep changing the metrics around, till YOUR TEAM is on top. Lmao...asinine. And, ESPN has an audience that's completely sold on their methods of "logic". What happened to education in our fine Country, since I was a kid? Do they even teach algebra, trigonometry and calculus, anymore? Lol

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If not for the asinine drivel released by ESPN “experts”, there would be no DawgNation nor sites like it and surely no Paul F-baum Show from March to the end of July because there would be virtually nothing to write about

The only obvious qualification required to become an ESPN “expert” on an ESPN pay site, is to be able to write a story with more grammatically correct sentences than not. That’s why the DN writers will never make the big bucks.

edited June 2023

I don't agree with using it as a "Tie-Breaker", either.

Unless, you make it..."part of the game".

Inform all Coaches and Players that their "selection" to the Conference or CFP Championship game...for lack of a better term...could hinge on their overall "point differential" at the end of the year.

Basically, giving all teams and coaches..."license to score on em if ya can...everytime you can...and have it applauded rather than denigrated by announcers and opposition Coaches & Fans.

Outscoring your opponents by as many points as possible should and WILL become "Part of the game"......IF......that's gonna be one of the metrics used as a "Tie-breaker". IMO

As Kirby Smart said before the 2022 CFPCG...."LEAVE NO DOUBT!!!". Go Dawgs.

• street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just meaningless stats that are a bunch of BS manipulated across decades which have no commonality. Nobody holds up a trophy for winning the SP+, in fact no team or coach wants to win the SP+, it means nothing to any team, player or coach, only the media.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby Smart to ESPN. Thank you, gents. May I have another?

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn't mean a tie breaker for the selection committee, just for these ultimately meaningless power rankings and such. Everyone has their own system, and I'm just saying I generally don't have a problem with someone taking margin of victory into consideration. It becomes a problem when you give it the kind of wildly disproportionate emphasis that Connelly apparently does.

edited June 2023

Lol...I gotcha. I was talking to my Brother about the '24 CFP....and responding to you at the same time. I used to be able to "piss in all directions at once" (old military expression for multitasking). I guess age caught up with me. Now?....I just piss at all times of day. Lmao....I Crack myself up, sometimes.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Alabama football is like the New York Yankees of college ball. All the big personalities like Stephen A. Smith and other casual fans who want to attach themselves to a team so they can crow about being the winners follow them. Many, many casual fans. The Connecticutt boys, ESPN, are mostly rich transplanted New Yorkers and the Gumps are their team. We just have to keep laying it on, winning. If somehow we can win in Bryant Denny we can put an end to this for awhile. Just win that game in '24 and it will be crickets from the CT Boys.

Amen Brother...WINNING will turn the worm. There is no shortcut to greatness. If Kirby Smart (and Saban) teaches his boys only ONE thing...it's THAT.