Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Florida’s hot recruiting run should help elevate Georgia-Florida rivalry

SystemSystem Posts: 10,533 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageFlorida’s hot recruiting run should help elevate Georgia-Florida rivalry

Georgia continues to hold the No. 1 ranked recruiting class for the 2024 recruiting class. That’s been the case for several weeks and will likely continue as the cycle develops. This should not classify as a new development as Georgia has often been one of the top programs in terms of recruiting since Kirby Smart walked in the door.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see Florida turning around that quickly. They will get shellacked this year. Probably 6-6.

Their 2024 schedute is a nightmare. Remember they have basically no qb or offensive identity right now.

Will the defense improve? Probably but it will take a couple years to get these kids into the system and ready to play at a high level minimum.

Will Napier still be coach after 2024. That will be his 4th year and a .500 record overall imo. Not sure they keep him. He will need 2025 and 2026 to try and show he is that guy. Not sure Florida is that patient.

Florida = dumpster fire...

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2023

There are several teams who I believe will finish ahead of the gators in the recruiting rankings.

now they have been top 15 and may even hit top 10 this year, but Ohio State, Bama, USC, Clemson, and FSU will all probably leap frog them before the February signing period is finished.

this would put them around 8 on the 24/7 composite. There are probably a couple of other sleepers who could push the lizards to 10 or so. Just a little above their average over the past several years.

just like Kirby has the dawgs in the top 5 year after year, I expect the gators to remain 10-15. Nothing new in the end.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

So, 6 out of 9 games (5 of 8 SEC; and Clemson) in 2024 are play away from Athens. This means that many other teams that UGA recruits against ("Bama, Ohio St., USC, LSU, Florida, Clemson, etc.) will have 2 more (big) home games to host recruits in the UGA environment/facilities. The recruiting disadvantage of having a home game every other year away from Athens is about to get worse in 2024. (BTW, I include FL above because they can still host recruits for the weekend since it is so close to Gainesville).

Make GA/FL a home and home! Stop doing neutral site games and instead do a home and home exchange. This is best for UGA!

Go Dawgs!

• Options

You are way more generous with the wins than I am. Possibly a 4 win season. Ark will be a challenge for a bunch of teams. As will SC and Tenn. UK is a toss up as their new QB just might surprise us.

high probability loses for the gators include UGA, FSU, Utah, and LSU.

if the Lizards can exceed my expectations and beat SC, Tenn, UK, and ARK, that is their only path to a good season

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congrats Mr. Boireau, hope it works out for you.....I believe I understand your choice.....6-5, 390lbs at UGA you're on a diet and workin OT in the weight room. In Gainesville, you'll be the big gator and offensives will run and pass around you. Looking at our current DL and your realize quickly that strength and quickness are absolute requirements for playing time. I'm thinking that 390 ain't quick and not that strong.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see this Florida team beating Spencer Rattler in the Gamecocks' house. People seem to be sleeping on South Carolina. They could end up with eight or more wins.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

IMO...When Kirby stated the importance of "recruiting and talent", after the 2021 "UGA vs FLA" Game...he unsurprisingly...understated the value of "coaching and development". Sportswriters jumped all over the "recruiting & talent" narrative and used it to force Dan Mullin out of Florida.

The fact is...Smart was right about the "recruiting & talent" angle...but, downplayed the "coaching & development" angle...for some reason.

Bottom line is...It's not just the players you get...it's what you do with em, when you get em. Napier is still an unproven commodity at the "Power Five" level.

Reminds me of an old Bear Bryant quote...."I can take mine and beat yor'n...and, I can take yor'n and beat mine.

Spurrier, famously remarked, in the '90's...."UGA gets all those elite players...what do they do with em?."

Lol...we know where the meat meets the bone...the wheat leaves the chaff...where the pebble of truth lays in a field of lies. We know...Who the "best dang Coach" on the "best dang team" in America, truly is....

It's Kirby Smart and the Georgia Bulldogs...and they are jones'ing for some Gator meat. They're just glad Napier is gonna provide a better quality meat than they have over the last decade.

It will be marinated in a whipped & beaten "Crimson Tide". Served with a side of fried "Yellow Jacket". No seasoning required.. Word is...Kirby may ask for some "Volunteers" to help him eat it all. Lol

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think I read somewhere that Napier has a $32M buyout over the next 2 seasons. So it is likely he gets 2 more seasons. (if not more)

FU can rebuild quickly IF they start getting some of the best players from FL and GA. The TP can accelerate the process as well. 40 of the Rivals250 are FL HS players. (32 for GA)

• Options

I'll be blunt...I don't think Napier has what it takes to succeed in Gainsville. He doesn't seem to fit their fanbase or team persona. Unless he completely changes their identity, that is. I just don't think he has the experience or staff support, to do it.

He absolutely has to have the support of their fanbase and alumni, in order to redefine what Florida is to SEC Football. I'm just not sure he has that, either. Florida's administrative infrastructure, as well as their fanbase has always reminded me of a more incompetent & obnoxious Auburn, at times.

One word can describe Florida's athletic department's past...."Chaotic". Another word would be "Lucky".

IMO...Auburn and Florida are "birds of the same feather". And...They never fail to keep us....entertained, in the offseason. But, somehow manage to win a Championship, every now and again..."Lucky".

Lol...looks like their luck ran out for a while. Law of averages & Luck...or Kirby Smart and Nick Saban style Programs? Which would you prefer?

Maybe I just hate Auburn and Florida...I don't know...but, that's how I see it, anyway. Lol

• Options
    edited June 2023

I think 6-6 sounds reasonable. You have to score to win games and I just don't see them having a good offense.

Utah - L

McNeese - W

Tennessee - L

Charlotte - W

@Kentucky - L

Vanderbilt - W

@South Carolina - W

Georgia - L

Arkansas - W

@LSU - L

@Missouri - W

FSU - L

So this is 6-6. Now I think @South Carolina, @Missouri and Arkansas are potential losses as well. Highest upside I see is 8-4 and Lowest downside could be 3-9.

• Options

Florida 2024 schedule

Miami - L

Samford - W

@Tennessee - L

@Mississippi State - W

Ole Miss - W

UCF - W

Georgia - L

LSU - L

@Texas - L

Texas A&M - W

FSU - L

There's another cupcake in there somewhere but a pretty tough schedule, I'm guessing 6-6 again. High upside is 8-4, Low downside is 4-8.

• Options

Thanks for sharing your details. I really believe SC will not have a problem with the gators and will push the dawgs into the 4th quarter.

and my guess with Ark beating the gators might be a stretch as the razorbacks are playing in the swamp. So I’ll up them to 5-7.

miz shouldn’t even be close as Florida does have a nice looking backfield and will rack up plenty of yards/ points on the tigers D

• Options

Looks about right. But, Carolina, Arkansa, Vanderbilt and Missouri will all be more than capable of beating Florida, in '23. This season could go pretty decent for the Gators' trajectory....or, it could completely implode with an 8 or 9 loss season. It'll be interesting to watch this "Florida Soap Opera" storyline to develop over the coming year. 😁😎

• Options

Note that 2 of those projected losses are "out-of-conference" (OOC) games against 2 of the best teams in the ACC...FSU & MIA. Can you imagine what that schedule might look like in a 9-game SEC format...with BAMA, Auburn or Oklahoma, on the schedule along with the rest?. Lol...dang.

IMO...this could one day, be a serious Conference issue, should they go to a 9-game format. OOC games will have to be closely considered and tailored to prevent that from occurring and possibly keeping an SEC Team out of "the Dance". In other words...no more cross-Conference competition. Some "storied cross-Conference rivalries" may wind up getting axed. Yessir...the game is changing before our eyes.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hate 'em!

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ANd to what are we atrributing this sudden slew of some of the best wanting to play at Fla?

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"Florida's hot recruiting run should help elevate the Georgia Florida rivalry". OK. Sure. That's a way of looking at it. I hafta say, I'm old enough to remember the 90s-00s when it was plenty "elevated". Overall, I also have to say, In Kirby I trust.