Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why 2023 football season will be pivotal for outside linebacker Marvin Jones Jr.

SystemSystem Posts: 10,551 admin
edited June 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhy 2023 football season will be pivotal for outside linebacker Marvin Jones Jr.

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, and everything else UGA.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish this kid the best. Shoulder injuries at the OLB position are no joke. I hope he takes his time and stays with the program. Kind of like Tykee who has been patient and I think it will finally pay off for him in a big way. Do not rush coming back with a shoulder issue. Take it slow and build strength. The talent is there, do your PT and ease back into it.

I think the pressure forces some of these kids to rush back from injuries because they are worried about being passed over. In the end though rushing back doesn't help anyone. Rian Davis comes to mind. The hardest part is the discouragement of not being the starter and just being patient and praying for full health to return so you can schuck big dudes and play with force. That last part takes time, time and patience. It will come back, the strength and force, as long as the injury is not severe. Prayers for this dude.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From what I witnessed in the spring game, the standard is set extremely high....I have no doubt Marvin will meet the challenge but I agree, he needs to work his way in to the rotation slowly. I see our D plugging the middle and quick off the edge. I don't know of any QB's that are accurate passing in under 3 seconds unless it a short dump. Marvin, it's coming....just give it a little more time!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From a UGA team need standpoint , MJ Jr may be the #1 guy that you hope makes a big jump this season. Also looking for more from Delp, Greene/Blaske, CMiller, Everette/Green, Zirkel/Woodring and, of course CBeck.

There are more but most guys will continue to develop at their own pace.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As hard as it may be to believe Delp may be in a fight for his life to keep that #2 spot. Luckie looked better than him in the Spring Game and in Spring Practice from everything that was reported. I also heard Spurlin was kicking it before his injury.

I think Luckie is the starter by 4th game next season and Jaden will be too good to not play. We will probably lose a couple tight ends by end of 2024 season due to the stiff competition.

AJ will be ready to take Lassiter's place next year which means we need to find a playing spot for 1 or 2 of Everette, Green and Humphrey. Especially if Ellis comes on board. I expect the loser of the 3 way battle to transfer at end of year.

Blaske will start some games this year and be a leader next year for us but I expect Greene to own the spot by end of year. Both guys are dudes here.

I expect Damon to be a co-starter by end of year. If Smael cannot stay healthy look for R. W. and Sorey to battle it out with a lot of snaps.

The biggest jump I think you will see this year will be Jalon Walker who will become a force akin to Mykel.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2023

I can't argue with any of that. I just have observed that while USUALLY 1 or 2 TRUE freshman stand out, it is USUALLY too hard to predict which 1 or 2 those guys are. So I never count on freshmen to play a major role and count the ones (few?) who do as a bonus. A lot of returning players on D (exc OLB) so I am not sure you will see any freshmen playing the biggest roles on D for a while. Unless somebody is just soooo good or a returner does not develop as expected.

I think Delp will step his game up. He is a bigger (taller) target than Luck and has been in the S & C program for an entire yr. I always root hard for Norcross. Nice for UGA to get a Gwinnett guy. Seems like UGA get's very few Gwinnett guys. Luckie is a UGA legacy.

TE #1 opens up after this year. Competitor's in that TE room will be fighting it out for PT. UGA has proven 1) it can keep 3 or 4 TE's pretty busy and 2) CKS doesn't put freshmen out in big roles until they can compete and protect themselves physically. Reddell may be the exception but he will have to earn it like everybody else. Haven't seen Spurlin much but Delp looks like the best receiver at TE after BB's. Remember the spring game of AGilbert? Remember the rest of the year? The spring/Spring game isn't always the best barometer. A lot of talent in the room and will be interesting to watch play out.

You are right about Jalon Walker. I didn't overlook him because he was already a big role player last year. He will play a big role (Channing Tindall role) this year and start next year. His versatility will allow him to contribute from multiple positions and on ST. If you start him at ILB you prob lose some of his snaps at OLB and on ST's. The kid is a player and will be a good one before he leaves.

It seems CKS like to showcase his draft eligible players (JDJ, Smael) a little more in their expected final seasons. The camaraderie and unselfish thread that is woven into the team seems to allow the showcasing of upperclassmen. There are and will be exceptions. Sometimes guys are just really good early and can't be kept back. BB's and JCarter come to mind but those guys seem rare.