Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Evidence mounting: Georgia among most doubted championship programs in recent history

SystemSystem Posts: 10,533 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageEvidence mounting: Georgia among most doubted championship programs in recent history

ATHENS — The evidence is mounting: Georgia is the most doubted preseason No. 1 program coming off back-to-back national titles in history.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Exactly. If I remember correctly, there were doubts last season. When the Natty came, a lot of the doubters sorta laffed off the doubts.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's all one game (really, one practice) at a time, but I wouldn't bet against Kirby & Company given what we know.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We don't measure Georgia vs Alabama because we have passed them and being like Alabama would mean we took a step back.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Heck, I’m pretty sure even Herbie doesn’t really believe what he says. He actually believes THE Ohio State University is the best team in the country, maybe the world.

Bottom line - Who cares what Herbie says, thinks, or believes. It’s irrelevant.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are 130 teams so it is most likely that Georgia is NOT going to win the championship again.

So basically Kirk Herbstreit is taking the field. In reality there are about 20 teams with a chance to win it and about 8 true contenders.

I am not too concerned about Herby. Georgia has a good chance to do something historic and I think everyone is rooting against us because they don't want it to be us that creates the record. Every doubter just adds fuel baby! Bring It!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMO...They've never seen a Program, quite like the one Kirby has been building...or a Coach, quite like Kirby Smart, in Athens Ga., over the last seven years.

My guess is that Kirby has been building this kind of Program, in his head...since the day he decided to enter coaching. I think he had it planned...to accumulate as many "Former Dawgs" as possible on his Coaching Staff...and, in the administrative infrastructure, to create "solidarity, connectivity and continuity". An ingredient previously unused by any modern day, successful Coach...except, maybe Bear Bryant.

Kirby Smart will "undoubtedly", go down in history along with some of the greatest and most innovative coaches in the history of the sport, before he's through...God willing.

Hell...I've never seen a Program quite like the Dawgs, either. I haven't found a flaw...yet. Lol. Nick had the recipe, the best "**** chef" in the business (Smart)...and used only the best ingredients, to create a perennial contender.

However...after Smart left...he turned the kitchen over to his line-cooks. A bad chef can screw up, even the best cut of meat, and that's exactly what O'Bryan and Golden did during their tenure. Not to mention...the rest of Nick's Staff suffered a dip in intensity and quality after Scott Cochran left to join Kirby in Athens.

As for the recipe...Nick went all-in on the fast paced, passing offenses at the expense of the running game. Why?...because he thought he could do it better. And, in a lot of ways...he did...however, an offense that relies on 3 players to move the ball...QB + WR²...is at the mercy of injury and unreliable.

I'm not going to get into the "how". That's a longer story. Suffice it to say Nick changed his "recipe". And, the new recipe is flawed. It doesn't help, to have a revolving door in the Assistant Coach's office. Bama's been in a slow downward spiral for about 4 or 5 years, and it's been picking up speed, over the last 2 years.

However..Saban's a professional and a helluva Coach. He can still turn Bama around. Kirby's got his feet propped on the control panel, one hand on the helm and the rudder set to autopilot. I don't understand how any reasonable mind could possibly doubt Kirby & the Dawgs...after what they did in their "Rebuilding Year"...2022. Lol

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I saw the name Kirk Herbsteit, I knew the article was of no importance, or relevancy to college football. This ohio state CLOWN doesnt have a clue.. But yet he's an "expert"..he's as much of an expert as my dead grandmother.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2023

"Georgia is the most doubted preseason No. 1 program coming off back-to-back national titles in history."

This history consists of:

A. Alabama in 2011-2012

B. USC in 2003-2004

C. Nebraska 1994-1995

D. Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Army and Minnesota in the 1940s and 1950s.

Addressing this in reverse order to make it more fun ...

D: before the sport got meaningful media coverage at all ... few college football games were even nationally televised back then. Champions were chosen before bowl games, there was no consensus champions - tons of organizations named one - and getting named one was the equivalent of getting an honorary doctorate, meaning that winning your conference title and the bowl game - especially if it was the Rose, Orange, Sugar or Cotton - were far more meaningful. The AP and UPI champions from that era were only considered "the legitimate champions" by the media and NCAA retroactively. Scratch.

C: As someone who was a huge fan of Nebraska in the 90s and remembers how the national media led by ESPN and USA Today absolutely despised them, there is NO WAY that Georgia is more disrespected now than was Nebraska then. Scratch.

B: Yes it was 100% justified because Southern Cal returned 10 of its 11 starters on offense - including QB, RBs, WR/TEs and both OTs - as well as most of its defense. Scratch.

A. So that leaves the 2013 Alabama team. But Bama was not merely coming off back-to-back titles but its 3rd title in 4 years. So they earned it. Scratch.

Final analysis: this article is dishonest clickbait. Which, of course, means that UGA fans are going to regard it as 100% truth.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Lmao....You and I remember things very differently. Especially with regard to Nebraska and USC.

Nebraska was never "doubted" by public opinion or commentary across the spectrum of Networks and Sportswriters. Yeah...they were busy pumpin' sunshine up Spurriers behind, but, Nebraska was a solid program...and, an obvious favorite.

IMO...In the '90's...ESPN didn't have near the clout they have, now. There may have been a "doubter" or 2 on there...but, nobody cared. Lol

USC was supposed to have the "best defense in the history of College Football"...according to Herbstreit. Not exactly doubted. And, that's the way they were pitched the entire "preseason" by ESPN (etal.).

As for Bama and Saban...."revolving door"? With Smart taking over DC in 2008...and, only relinquishing those duties 7 years later? How big is your "revolving door"? They had 2 or 3 Heisman quality running backs during that period. Lol

I DO agree with you on Minnesota and the way the teams of that era were "appointed" or "named" National Champion....using a math equation developed by a Professor at the University of Illinois. Is it any wonder that a team that played the likes of "University of Chicago"...would be named Champion, by an Illinois Professor and his formula? Lol

My Final Analysis: You don't know what the heck you're talkin' about. Lol...just kidding. So what, we remember things differently. Just goes to show you...sometimes perception becomes reality...when reflecting on history.

When you have the likes of, Reece Davis picking Michigan...and Herbstreit picking Bama (again!)....I'd say, that's being "doubted". But, I'd also call it "entertainment". They have to "create" enough "doubt and intrigue", to make their preseason jobs interesting to the "viewers & tweeters". It'll all straighten itself out after the "1st Kickoff".

Tell you what...if you believe em...we can arrange a friendly bet. We'll figure something out, if you're interested. No money or tender or anything. Just a friendly wager. Lol

<added>.... I have it. The "Loser" has to go on the website of the "winner's" choice, and write a glowing tribute to the "Team" of the "winner's choice" and make a self-depreciating statement regarding the "loser's" football knowledge. Something like that.

• Options
    edited July 2023

@MikeGriffith

Mike....I'd like to suggest Dawg Nation (or you) have a friendly football pool. Everybody submits their picks for the season and CFP. At the end of the year...the winner gets 2 Free Tickets on the Dawg Nation Cruise next March/April....or, Tickets to the 2024 UGA vs FLA Game in Jax...or, "spend a day with the Dawg Nation Reporter covering the 2024 Spring Game (for 2)". Something to that effect.

• Options
    edited July 2023

What I find interesting...is that with all the "UGA 3-peat talk" and resulting conversation around Minnesota's 3-peat...not one reputable reporter has done a story on the sketchy way Minnesota was "Selected" as "Champion", during those years of want and famine.

Alabama should have at least 1 more Championship than they Do. Unless they were already credited with the '34 Natty.

FYI....Wikipedia on the 1934 College Football Season...

"Once again, University of Illinois Professor Frank Dickinson's math system selected a Big Ten team as national champion, the undefeated Minnesota Golden GophersWilliam Boand and Professor Edward Earl Litkenhous also selected Minnesota at the end of the season. The conference, however, still had a bar against its members playing in the postseason, so Minnesota did not play in any of the bowl games. The undefeated and eventual Rose Bowl champion Alabama Crimson Tide was selected as national champion by the other contemporary math system selectors, Dick Dunkel, Paul Williamson and Deke Houlgate.[1]"____Wikipedia