Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Netflix Review: Sanctuary (it's about Sumo wrestling)

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just finishing the 8-episode Netflix show called Sanctuary. It's basically Karate Kid but with Sumo wrestlers. The first couple of episodes are kind of meh, but then it gets a little more interesting. it's your standard sports story we've seen a hundred times. A talented but rebellious and undisciplined athlete from a broken home tries to make it big in sports. It has some decent twists to keep it interesting. It's typical Japanese overacting and corny dialogue (maybe there is something lost in the translation...), but it's fun and even educational. I like all the tradition stuff about the Sumo world. Very informative. I give it a solid B.

Comments

• Options
    donniemdonniem Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The son of a coaching friend of mine has taken up Sumo wrestling and is the USA champion and has placed well in international competition. I've looked at some of his matches (on youtube - his name is Andrew Roden) and have learned a lot about the sport and some of its traditions. Very interesting stuff. Check him out and let me know what you think?

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was surprised at how physical and short the matches are. These guys are palm striking, throwing elbows, sweeping legs....and it's usually all over in about 5 seconds. No 2 out of 3. In 5 seconds you are done. Joe Rogan did a cool bit on Sumo.

Joe Analyzes Sumo Wrestling - YouTube

• Options
    OldSchoolPupOldSchoolPup Posts: 265 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I was booked and set for a few weeks in Japan August 2020. Big sumo tournament while I was going to be there. Probably the worst part of covid for me was missing that trip.