Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football will learn a lot about the future of its inside linebacker position this week

SystemSystem Posts: 11,080 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football will learn a lot about the future of its inside linebacker position this week

Glenn Schumann is no longer just one of the best inside linebacker coaches in the country. He’s one of the best defensive minds period. His paychecks from Georgia say as much, as he’ll make $1.9 million this season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe 2024 will be our last with Coach Schumann. He will be a head coach in 2025. He would LOVE the Bama gig. and a 3-peat would go a long way in helping the Bama boosters welcome him home

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kris Jones is a beast. Get him and Williams and you have won the day!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am not sure he doesn't leave after this season. He will have the option to. That may be one reason ( as well as 3,5,6 in '23) getting Williams or keeping Riddick is in question.

He would be a good candidate for the AL job. BUT 1) Saban seems in no hurry to leave (3 more years minimum?) . Schumann is not waiting 3 more years unless he has assurances from AL. 2) Does AL want to go w/a 1st time HC and endure the growing pains of a 1st time head coach?

As for AL, Lane Kiffin dreams of being the next HC there. MS is just his latest place holder until he can work his way into his next, "better" job. Not sure Kiffin could keep the AL program elevated. I see it as a slightly better version of MS w/Kiffin as HC of AL.

Personally I don't think AL is a great job. Saban has made it a great job. After he retires the AL job falls below UGA, MI, OSU, USC, TX and probably FU and aTm.

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

The only unknown...will Saban step aside? I really don't think he will short of a medical obstacle. I think Saban will be "H C Emeritus" with the new guy by his side on the side lines. Coach Schumann is absolutely on Saban's short list as well as on the list of the shakers and movers of Crimson Tide Football. Talk about the creation of The Greatest Rivalry in college football....The DAWGS vs The Crimson Tide...what ills Bama football at present is the inconsistency and poor quality of their coaching staff.....if not addressed and corrected soon, the Tide prowess will be relegated to the annuals fond memories......those shakers and movers as well as Saban painfully realize this fact. Depending on how the Tide fairs in 23 will determine the time line....lose more than three, Schumann is headed back to his Alma Mater, less and Saban remains the most important man in Bamalama for another year!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Snag Williams..he is a true 5 star, then plug in Jones and/or Cole. That is a haul. Schumann likes UGA and Coach Smart....we'll have to see how loyal he is as time passes...he surely is not hurting for money! He is head coach material for certain. These are interesting times. Believe me, Coach Smart thinks long ahead about these things and has them well in hand. That is comforting. UGA is also the bar and standard others must meet. They earned it.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

I think Schumann may stick around for 2-3 more years in hopes they tell Saban to go retire so they can get Schumann.

Schumann is the pick for the Alabama job and the alumnni there want him. He would be a force over there. If he waits he will get the job. If he leaves he may end up hosing himself. Think Muschamp taking the Florida job and failing and then going from hottest coordinator to not so great.

So my question is who is the next guy up for co-DC role? We've got several hot assistants at the different positions.

• BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let’s not be naive. Those scenarios and conversations are already underway somewhere in the bowels of the Bama AD. If not Schumann, it’s someone. I personally don’t believe it’s Kiffin as he brings way to much drama for the boosters They want a Saban 2.0.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

I'm thinking, you might be right about Schumann. I didn't realize, his ties to Bama went that deep.

He may be doing "exactly" what Kirby did...he's going to keep the UGA DC job, until the HC position opens up at Alabama. THAT makes sense. And, yes...it could be 3 or more years. Or, it could be next year.

Now...hear me out. Lol. I know what you're thinkin'. This is what I'm seein' in my tea leaves. Saban just signed the #1 recruiting class. The '24 cycle hasn't been looking up to their usual standard (could improve, but). I believe Saban is going to give it "one last all-or-nothin'" shot, this year. Win, lose or draw...I think he may leave after THIS year.

IMO...He wants to leave the cupboard full for the next coach. In fact, he may even stay on for a little bit, in some capacity, as an adviser. I'm sure he doesn't want to watch the destruction of what he built in Tuscaloosa right behind his departure. That wouldn't bode well for his legacy, i don't think. I can't think of a better man to replace him, than Schumann.

Lane Kiffin??? Waiting for Freeze to expand Auburn's talent pool and get it up to standard. Freeze will lose a ton of games trying to do that...and Auburn's hierarchy will lose a ton of patience. No defense will get Freeze fired in 2 or 3 years...Kiffin moves in. Ya heard it here first. Lol

I would like to know where Muschamp's head is. Does he intend to join Smart and Bobo in Athens, for the duration?. It appears to me, that Bobo and Muschamp, having already worn the HC hat (twice for Will),...and...may have decided to settle in, to create a "Historic Program" with Kirby Smart at their Alma Mater.

They know...and, should know...that Erk Russell got a ton of respect and credit for UGA's 70's/80's run. That was only 1 Championship. Can you imagine how exalted this coaching staff would be, if they stuck together and won 6 or 7 Natty's together?.

With the advent of NIL/TP and the 12-Team CFP format...and...with the Dawgs current talent pool, trajectory, projected recruiting and Athletic Dept. support....I don't know how or when the Dawgs lose another game, much less CFP.

I'm sure they will lose...at some point...I just don't see it anytime soon. I've NEVER seen a machine put together, like the one Kirby built in Athens. Moreover...i don't think ANYBODY has, including Nick Saban. Smart runs it tighter than most military operations I've seen...except...everybody's happy and content...yet, still hungry.. That's extremely hard to achieve. But, that's what being organized and standardized does for ya.

Barring anything catastrophic...they will just keep churning out victories one at a time until they get "unlucky" or the machine breaks down...meaning no more talent AND no more Kirby..

With B2B Natty's in the CFP era, NIL/TP, an active gaggle of Alumni/Boosters with deep pockets, 3 former Head Coaches (All, former Dawgs) on staff and talent-for-days with "no end in sight"...I don't know how this machine can possibly breakdown. But...even a John Deere or Rolls Royce can breakdown from time-to-time.

Hell...why wouldn't you pick The Dawgs to win it all every year. They haven't even fielded their best class yet, and they've already got 2 "Rings" and favored to win another, with a fully stocked QB Room. How is that even possible. Lol. I don't remember EVER feeling that way about Saban's Program. That..."they left no hope for other Teams winning a Natty, for the foreseeable future". Bryant's program in the '60's/'70's, kinda gave that vibe...but, not Saban's or anybody elses, that i can recall..

Don't get me wrong...there have been some Great Teams and HC's over the years, that won a Natty or two. But, that's not what this is. UGA's 2021 team was different than their 2022 team. And, 2023 is gonna be a different team than the 2022 team. It's not about a "Great Team", IMO...It's about a "Great Program".

The only thing i can think to compare it to, is the '50's, 60's & 70's Valdosta Wildcats and Wright Bazemore. There was another coach that followed him and I can't remember his name. They built a "HS Football Program" there, that used the Midget and Little leagues to train and pump talent into their veins to keep em fresh from one year to the next, like a vampire. What they built sustained for decades. Kirby being from that area, is certainly aware of the value and consistency, that kind of program provides.

As long as Kirby has the Pit Crew he currently has...and they are training their replacement...and their replacements replacement...UGA will do what no other "Team" has done.

Kirby's entire Program...[from administrators, to Coaches, to players, to "health and development personnel"]....reminds me of a Shark's multiple rows of Teeth. When one tooth falls out...a newer, sharper tooth moves in from the row behind.

The jaw of UGA's Athletic Dept. is "Football"...and, everyone associated with the Football Team sits on a row of teeth with individuals in front or back or both ensuring they don't have to do all the chewing on their own, training and holding each other accountable. How long do shark's live?.

IF...they don't place all value on money...and, they practice what they preach, by tabling their egos...THEN...Kirby, Will and Mike will go down in CFB history in a category of their own...IF...they stay together. I think they know that. That's my opinion, anyway.

Smart was on Richt's short list for years. Kirby turned him down, twice, when he offered him the DC job. He was holding out for the HC position and collecting Rings in Tuscaloosa, before UGA eventually fired Richt to make room for him.

If Smart had come to Athens as DC, when Richt called...there's not a chance in hell, Richt gets fired. Because, if he'd had a defense, to go with the offense, he would've won a few Natty's...and, Kirby would be HC somewhere else (probably). But, ya never know. Funny how things work out.

With Nick's age being what it is...It's possible that things work out similarly for Schumann. How many Rings does he have, again?. Lol

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is what I expect to happen. Schu will stick around til Saban 'retires.' Then Saban will 'help out' to keep his legacy intact. I am expecting Schu to stay until then. 2-3 million a year and then the Bama job. Schuman is living his best life.

Anyways, until that happens we need a new co-dc. Our db coach looks like a good candidate to be a co-dc. Tray Scott also could be a co-dc.

We are in a historical position right now to your point. Can we get it done? This may be our best chance since next year we lose so many linemen and the schedule is brutal. 3-Peat Baby!

You're right. 2024 will being challenging to every team in the Conference...particularly Oklahoma and Texas.

Why? Well...mainly because all of em will be facing some very good teams, that they haven't faced in years...or...never faced at all. Which means they have to game plan from scratch on a few more teams than Rivals.

IMO...Most coaching Staffs and players use data from the previous season's game against their annual SEC divisional foes and rivals. For instance...UGA typically, only had to create a portfolio on 3 or 4 new opponents every year (at most).

The beauty part, is that Oklahoma and Texas will have to "game-plan" from scratch, on virtually every team they face in 2024. That's crazy. Lol...if one of them wins the SEC in '24...it'll be an absolute miracle. Every SEC Game will be like a "Bowl Game" to those 2 teams. If either of em win the '24 SECCG...go ahead and give em the CFP Trophy.