Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Buying or selling? Georgia QB situation among top SEC Media Days takeaways

SystemSystem Posts: 11,080 admin
edited July 2023 in Article commenting
imageBuying or selling? Georgia QB situation among top SEC Media Days takeaways

ATHENS — Georgia is the unquestioned favorite to repeat as SEC Champion and the oddsmakers’ choice to win the national title entering the season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GBALGBAL Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Q: Who makes the list of candidates available to be voted on as preseason all SEC.

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm selling the Big Urnge being as good as last year. I will buy the fact that their coach is approaching Giant Pumpkin status but that is kind of expected at UTjr. This is why Kiffin was told he had to gain 50 lbs or leave...

They will be 8-4 or 9-3 this year and reality will once again set in. Those silly pumpkin heads.

• CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 65 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wouldn't need to sell Big Urnge because I would never buy Heupels flash in the pan schtick. The players that choose UT have underperformed and if you remove the gimmicky offense from the equation, especially since the SEC HC's have seen it for 2 years straight, they do not return much of threat. They have some individually talented players but they do not play as a team. A predictable "buy" by you, Mike. Your blood must look like SunnyD crossed with hunter orange. Pathetically UT biased assessments and reporting.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia wins the Joe Moore award. I guess they will eventually. But UGA had CFB's best O-line over the last two years, and the Joe Moore voters still decided to give the award to Michigan. But I guess they can't give it to Michigan every year.

Who are the voters for this award? I guess that is the thing really...

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Couldn't agree more. The Dawgs proved it, on the field in 2021...when they stomped a mud hole in Michigan's chest during the Cotton Bowl game.

How many "Sacks" did UGA have against that vaunted "Joe Moore winning", Yankee...I mean Wolverine Offensive Line?.

Well sir...I'll tell ya.....4 Sacks & 7 TFLs.

How many "Sack's" did they get against the Dawgs Offensive Line...in that very same game?....0 (zero) Sacks & 2 TFLs.

The Joe Moore Award, Mackey Award, Burlesworth Award and Heisman Trophy (etal.), are awards focused in one direction, for the most part. North and/or West. They try their best to steer hype in that direction, every year. That's where they look first, for potential Award representatives.

In the case of The Burlesworth...they look at Arkansas Players first...and expand the search outward from there.

If a team or player in the North or West, doesn't rise to a particular "Award's" standard (underperforms)...then and only then...they start looking at players and teams outside their immediate area of interest.

I've been sayin'...we need to introduce our own awards...

Best Quarterback...."The Bennett Trophy"

Most versatile Wide Receiver...."McConkey Award"

Most versatile Offensive Player....The Bowers Trophy

And, so on...

The Dawgs "should" OWN most of the Excellence Awards, over the last 2 years. But, they don't. The awards have been politically split, between the North & West...and the South and East.

In the case of the SEC, of course...they're dividing em between teams and divisions...and, Alabama. Lol

The "Award" rarely goes to the player or team that actually "earned" it. Politics. SMH

It really doesn't matter anymore. We will win the thing that matters most and our players will get paid the most from the draft.

edited July 2023

@MikeGriffith

I'm not sure I get you. Are you saying...

You think Tennessee is going to be "improved?

And, South Carolina won't be?

I'm not sure I understand your thinking there. I actually see it the other way around. I think Tennssee will take a step back...and SC will continue their upward journey. At least, until Rattler leaves or gets injured.

It's not all about the offense. I believe SC will have a good (enough) defense, with a QB that is about to "breakout" in a big way and showed strong signs of it, last year. In fact Rattler will be in the Heisman conversation at the end of the season. IMO

I realize, there is an imbalance of talent and depth that exists between the two teams...but, that's not true in Coaching. That's where I see SC making up ground on Tennessee.

In my opinion...SC has Tennessee beat in the "Defense/Special Teams Department" & Quarterback Experience/Talent. I believe that's enough to put em over-the-top...and push em into SEC East runner-up status.

I realize "Porky Pig and and The Carrot Tops" in Knoxville are the media's shiny new object. They got everybody's attention in '22....Cause they had a good year. Actually they exceeded expectations.

Why do you think, UT's'22 success will carryover to this year? Will they be improved or stay the same, in your opinion and why?

Why do you think SC will take a step back or stay the same?

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Some "fans" want to trash their rivals. I get it. They like to artificially inject themselves into the team by being ultra competitive and trash talking like they can actually get on the field and back it up. These people fail to face the reality that teams like TN and FU are "name" programs with a rich history of accomplishment and tradition. And sports success tends to be cyclical. Safe to say that leaders w/in the UGA program, both coaches and players, respect their opponents and know most wins will not come easily against SEC schools.

As such, they have a built in attraction (and a following) for athletes to further their athletic endeavors. As long as these programs win more than they lose, they will have success convincing good players to play for their teams.

To write off programs like TN and FU because they made some bad hires is short sighted.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Big orange fever. The fever is real and after the last 15 years who can blame Vol fans.

Heupel's offense seems too gimmicky to be able to have sustained success against SEC defenses. A lot of smoke and mirrors. Reminds me of Malzahn and how his offenses relied heavily on tricking the defense. They won't be able to recruit good enough on defense unless they change their hurry up offensive scheme.

edited July 2023

I think We're gonna see a "Big Orange Mushroom Cloud" lingering over Knoxville when their balloon pops, this year. Can't wait to hear all the excuses...I mean reasons, why everybody was wrong about the Vols...and why they underestimated SC, Kentucky and Vandy. Florida??? Some things stay the same. Lolol

This ain't 2021 or 2022. All new teams...all new season. And I REALLY like this year's UGA Bulldog "Team". As a buddy of mine used to say when we were scopin out the chicks...."They're ready". Lol

edited July 2023

They don't have the depth or talent to shut anybody down long enough to build a double digit lead.. Lot of close games for the Vols, this year,, IMO. Hope they have a great kicker.

In my mind...there's no guarantee, that UT will beat Kentucky, Mizzou, Florida or Vandy...much less UGA, Bama, SC or A&M. I got em losing 4 SEC games, this year, myself. They may get lucky and only lose 2...but, hey...where does that leave em? Disappointed? Lol

SC will lose 3 games and finish 2nd in the SEC East beating Tennesse in September...stifling the Vols CFP hype. They will also knock Clemson out of the CFP conversation in November.....if they're still around. This might be...."The Year of the Bumblebee" (GT). Lol

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Daniels looked every bit of BRyce Young 2.0 and every bit as slight too.

Only 3 teams in SEC matter.

Georgia

Rammer Jammer

Tigger

That's it. Everyone else is just playing spoiler.