Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

While Georgia running back future is promising, the present is a big question mark

SystemSystem Posts: 10,558 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhile Georgia running back future is promising, the present is a big question mark

Georgia running backs coach Dell McGee is unquestionably doing a great job on the recruiting trail of late. Following Sunday’s addition of 4-star running back Nate Frazier, the Bulldogs now have commitments from the No. 4, 8 and 10 running backs in the recruiting cycle, as Dwight Phillips and Chauncey Bowens were previously committed in the class.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The player in the group who earned the most effusive praise from Smart at his opening press conference was walk-on Cash Jones. That’s not a great sign for the position as a whole.

why can’t it be a great sign? Stetson was a walk on? Plus there are two sophomores that are ready to roll. The backfield will be just fine as long as McGee is here.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That freshman running back Robinson sure looked good during the spring game. Cash Jones sounds like an interesting story line. Can't forget the hype around Paul before he was hurt. UGA will be fine - they recruit a lot of people at a position for situations like this. More carries for some - which isn't ideal, but I'm sure those backs will be happy with more carries.

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

Branson Robinson can miss the first few games of the season and it won't matter. No rush to get to 100% healthy. We will need him later, though.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm thinking that KS is using Cash's hard work and dedication to growth and development to motivate the scholarship "stars". It's also ment as a message to every recruit in America.....It does not matter your "star" count, if you've got the DAWG attitude, you can succeed at Georgia. Cash was a running back out of "nowhere" Texas, 2 or 3 stars maybe, and 3 offers, FIU, Army and New Mexico St.....Cash knew he could do much better and he has proven that his determination, hard work and commitment to be developed is paying big dividends....that's the DAWG attitude! Dawg Nation loves its "wild cards" that become solid ACES!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"I'm thinking that KS is using Cash's hard work and dedication to growth and development to motivate the scholarship "stars"." -- @GtheGreek

My thought exactly. It would take more ongoing injuries to make this powerful RB room anything other than too much for opponents to handle. Especially with the best interior line in the country.

What's lacking is a great quick-cutting, pass-receiving back (a la McIntosh, Cook and Swift), although Edwards comes close and Milton knows how to catch the ball.

I hope Kendall gets healthy and stays healthy for a change. I'd like to see him reach his potential, which is very high.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'll be concerned about our backs if they don't perform when the season starts....not now.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Makes me wonder if Mike Griffith wrote this piece...sounds more like something he'd write.

I don't need unicorns and rainbows all the time, but unnecessarily bleak headlines or articles don't really help out much.

Plus, Kirby learned from Saban...has he ever really said, "Wow! Our (insert position) are really going to be kick butt this year!" ???

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@CandlerPark

I hope they will find Mekhi Mews may well fit your description for "a great quick- cutting pass receiving back". Surely impressed me in the spring game.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL, so true. That's more likely a Jimbo Fisher tendency, not Nick or Kirby.. and then has to eat his words.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey, I second that!!!! And I almost forgot Len'Neth Whitehead, product of the Classic City, 6.5 yds per carry in 21 for The Vols....sure like to hear how he's progressing!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Concerned ?? Yes. Worried ?? No. Our early schedule should make for some of these guys to get back when needed.

And really just parroting what some of you have already said, our RB isn’t limited to Just Milton and Robinson ( or Roberson ?? I get those two last name’s confused).

Though I’m very sorry their dealing with injuries, and Still have Allot of faith in Both when their fully healthy, it’s not like the Dawgs RB room is a wet noodle without them !! Still Allot of firepower there.

And some of you have mentioned putting Mews in there to help bolster catching the ball out of the backfield. Totally Agree !! Just be sure as he’s young to steadily Teach and Preach ball security. He Has the athletic skills no doubt.

A word or two on Cash. I respect and admire that kid. You could tell he was giving it his All in the G Day game. And he has pretty good speed to ! And I think he’s pretty tough as well because I remember him taking a pretty big hit, and jumping off the ground ready to go at it again.

As has already been said we shouldn’t dismiss walk on’s to quick as they can be diamonds in the rough. At this point I’d refer to Cash as a Determined Runner, as his body shapes and molds to the intense practices at UGA he could become a very good blue chip player. Just keep Ladd McConkey in mind when he first come to UGA.

Y’all I’m getting more and more excited about This team and This season !! It’s gonna be Awesome to see what the coaches have done with the new guys, And watching the already Very Good guys that were already here transform to Elite, and watching the Elite guys transform to Mega Stars who will become household names on Sunday ( though I don’t watch the NFL anymore) !!

I wish Y’all and families a Great and Happy season of watching our Beloved Dawgs 3peat !! Go Dawgs !!!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate