Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Understanding Georgia football offense under Mike Bobo: As easy as 1-2-3!

SystemSystem Posts: 10,556 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageUnderstanding Georgia football offense under Mike Bobo: As easy as 1-2-3!

Mike Bobo is back running the show at Georgia, to the extent of calling plays and scheming within the head coach’s ideology.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You'd think from the current "spin" that SBIV and Darnell were the only reasons we won a second Natty....they were mostly always great BUT, they were parts of a TEAM. A TEAM made up of GREAT player at every position. In 2023, we have a TEAM made up of even better talent....

I'd say that with the talent we have and the schedule we play, to surpass 41 points per game is very doable. I've stated before that I know the QB play will be more consistent and thus more productive. Passing yardage will increase as will rushing yardage. 500 plus yards per game is what I would predict. The challenge with a new OC, and QB will be to keep penalty yards to a bare minimum as well as turn overs. A real mark of improvement for me will be can we increase our time of possession? If the passing game is working, quick scores are inevitable so definitely when we have a commanding lead the focus will be rushing to slow things down. It will help if defensively we force mostly 3 and out possessions in our opponents.....which leads to, how long can we go without allowing a Passing TD or rushing TD? How many fumbles can we force and recover and how many INT's can we collect?

All in all there are so many metrics to determine improvement but in the end analysis it will be..... did we win every game and thus GET 3 N 23?

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GtheGreek Not the only reason, just explaining that the offense will look differently when there are players with different sorts of skillsets on the field

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

Mike, what do you think as far as my belief that our QB play will be more consistent, our receivers will increase their yardage and our defense will keep opponents under 10 points per game?

P/S....I love it when you come on Finebaum and cause him total consternation! Mike, YOU are the man!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

@BigDawg61 He did, and the offense sputtered in the third quarter mightily before that huge play to Arian and the offensive roll Stet and Monken got on .... that was not the Dawgs' best game, but it sure was exciting!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Off topic sort of, but just a curiosity question, any and every one feel free to answer. Which is more of a thing of beauty to you from our Dawgs, seeing a RB break several tackles and tear off a huge run, Or a WR catch a deep, deep thrown ball in stride without having to slow down ??

For Me it’s a extremely hard question to answer as I Love seeing our Dawgs do Both !! But with great difficulty I have to choose seeing a RB break several tackles and tear off a huge run !! I guess images of Herschel in my mind, I don’t know !! So what’s Your take ?? You can’t lose either way. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Wrong "Dawg"...Mike. Lol. I'm @BigDawg61. ....He's @bigdawg888.

Are you trying to get me back, for blaming you for something Conner Riley said in an article? LOL...just kidding. Maybe we got too many "Dawgs" runnin' around here.

Anyway...about football and "The Gods of Athens"....I thought the article was money...except for one small issue in the excerpt below...& it goes to what @GtheGreek was talking about, as well, with regard to QB's and offensive production.

"Monken did very well with an experienced quarterback who was most often savvy enough to check into the right play calls."______BigMikeyG

One thing about Bennett that I've been looking for in "The 3", is Bennett's ability to turn a blown play......[whether it be a breakdown in blocking, mental error by one of the skill guys or a misread by Bennett]......into a positive or neutral result. Be it, with his athleticism or ball placement on the run...or chuckin' it out of bounds. At times he seemed to have a sixth sense for pocket movement. That's not something that can be taught. In his last year...after a full year as The Guy...you could tell, the game slowed down for him, considerably...(like Neo in the Matrix...😂). That's just experience.

I don't think any of "The 3" can walk out on the field and start out that way. But, if any of them can...it would be Beck, just due to his game experience and experience running the offense.

That being said...all three quarterbacks are on equal footing,with respect to schematics and Bobo's offense. All three quarterbacks have been in the program for at least one year. Bobo's in a pretty sweet spot for a First Year OC.

All that...and, it won't matter. UGA could've far exceeded that 41 pts/game last year...if Kirby had taken the cuffs off. He spent a few games, early in the season, allowing his offensive line and running game to gel.

IMO...There's 3 things you absolutely must have, late in the season, if your gonna compete for Natty....

1). Special Teams.

2.) A Running Gane.

3.) DEFENSE!!!

If you have those 3 things....[which UGA always seems to have, these days]....you don't have to put a bunch of points on the board.

And, Kirby knows...if you start throwing 60 points on the board every week, the "Anti-Rat Poison" device is useless to you. A minor "let-down", can lead to catastrophe. So...it's best to take an ounce of preventive medicine, and appear beatable...by keeping your offensive output to around 40-45 points.

Let those BIG10, BIG12, ACC and "Group of 5" (???...Lol) guys, light up the scoreboard..."Kirby & The Dawgs" are old-school....sort of.

Lol...there's really no telling WHAT Mike is gonna do with all this talent. Sky's the limit. He "could do"...just what I said Kirby "wouldn't do"...and turn the offense loose. But...I doubt it.

That's why I don't like focusing on "statistics" without adding a filter. Statistics tell you about 1/2: the story...you have to apply a little context to get the full picture. Last year's team could've easily surpassed the 50 pts per game mark if they went balls-to-the-wall from buzzer to buzzer. That's NOT on the quarterback. And it won't be on the QB, this year, either. Unless Bobo kicks Kirby's tail and takes the Program from him. 😂

• Options

@BigDawg61 I deserve to be barked at! My apologies, but thank you for your comments!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We really were off our game for awhile without big 0 in that OSU game. This is a very underappreciated 'missing' player that really was a gamechanger for us. I am not sure if this is why we were not throwing the ball to Bowers but it sure feels like we did not get the ball into Bowers hands enough during the OSU game. Those 2 things plus a poor decision on Stet's part is what made the OSU game so close (along with holding only being called 1 time). So not using 2 of our 3 biggest weapons and our defense not getting pressure due to the non-stop holding.

I think our coaches did not adjust fast enough to losing big 0 and our defense did not blitz enough early on with the holding. A poorly coached game on our part. Stetson bailed us out.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m still having nightmares about Bobo calling a pass play on first and goal from the 4 with Todd Gurley in the backfield. Intentional grounding called on that first down pass play and we didn’t score. Hopefully, we won’t see any calls that ridiculous this season, but…..

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

BTW, the intentional grounding call was a terrible call, but not as terribly ble as the play call.