Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 Georgia football concerns following Scrimmage One

SystemSystem Posts: 10,533 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
image3 Georgia football concerns following Scrimmage One

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart has a good feel for where his football team is at, and in key respects he is far from satisfied per his press conference on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ugh... Hope the team has some good strong senior leaders on both sides of the ball like we had the past two years. CKS can't do it all for them; they must self motivate each other... Hope Kenny McIntosh can get healthy before the season starts...

• Options
    USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Time to put some fight in them dawgs!

gotta be honest, between injuries and holes in D line I’m a little concerned, but I know Kirby will have em ready and the schedule allows for some adjustments at the beginning

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have a long way to go. We have a thin, injured running back room. Receivers are letting the ball slip through their fingers. Kirby is far from satisfied across the board.

It doesn't mean we don't have the building blocks.

We'll see how much progress can be made before we have to face UT Martin.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Robinson better remain healthy...Milton's hamstring could be trouble for a while yet. Hard to gauge as to the tear or pull. Track people get these constantly. Require concentrated rehab. and some never quite fully recover. Milton seems prone.

The way things sound from Coach Smart, the team needs to toughen up....go all in. Said some simply are not. Interesting remark. When I came away from this article and Smart's candid comments...I wondered how UGA was rated #1? But, I know Kirby, and he will field a pretty solid unit come September. Always seems to even with a dozen injured players.

I am not on the field as I used to be...so i rely on my armchair and a few who are there even in an insular setting.

UGA, in my estimation, will be the usual tour de force in the SEC.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't recall CKS ever being this brutally honest about deficiencies he perceives. Partly motivational but clearly realistic.

DL depth keeping players fresh and players pushing each other should produce a better than average SEC DL. Is that good enough to win the SEC? Maason Smith (#1 overall in '21) is back and being called "the next Jalen Carter". Beat OSU/Mich? Multiple guys need to develop and step up.

Something not being mentioned at RB is pass protection. Beck is a pocket guy only. Does not have the escape-ability that SBIV had. RB's need to be able to block. Cash Jones looks to be the best receiver out of the backfield. But he is small and won't be to hold off blitzing LB's. When he goes into the game it is a tip off of a probable RB pass.

Milton being consistently injured is puzzling. Especially with the renowned UGA training staff. This year doesn't look like a cake walk many expect.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is typical Kirby talk. This defense is ridiculous and that is without Smael and Lassiter in.

I wouldn't worry. Based on the reports from MC and CJD this defense is elite. I didn't expect the offense to do too much against them.

106 Heat Index will put the damper on some things. Nothing to see here.

• Options
    DAWGHOUNDDAWGHOUND Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

Doesn't anyone else find it worrying that we (the team) is having so many foot injuries? Is it the shoes, (equipment) , the conditioning , the turf what? I just find it interesting that there are so many. Hope it all gets worked out. GO DAWGS

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with BigDawg888. We’ve heard the same thing the past several years, especially the past 2 preseason scrimmages. Even if Kirby thought or knew we were are locked and loaded, he wouldn’t publicly acknowledge it. RBs will be fine, probably better than last year. I also think someone will become a beast on the D line this season.

Can't wait for the season to start. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

Based on the personnel, this defense will have to get it done differently than the past two national championship defenses with disruptive players in the middle that shortened the QB's clock and smothered the running game. I don't see Stackhouse, Brinson or Logue dominating upfront like Carter, Wyatt and Davis; they're solid players but not game-changers. UGA will have to hope the young outside backers develop to the point of applying consistent pressure on the QB. Hopefully, the athletic secondary will make more plays and the LBs will be used to get pressure on the QB.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just hope Cason Beck develop some of that "it" factor or mental toughness to solidify the starting position. He definitely has all tools to be a 1st rounder and carry the team to another championship. I believe the rest of the position groups will be fine. The team just needs some motivation and a kick in the behind. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well Mike, since I don't do twitter/X or what ever, I'd like to weigh in on your "Biggest Concern" query....I'm picking "Other"! Other as in I am most concerned with "buy In' from all of the "Chicken Little", "The Sky Is Falling", "dome and Gloom Predictions" "incessant injury reports" from the national media and from DawgNation. Why not report the TRUTH???? Does anyone believe that a turf toe, sore hamstring, bangs and bruises are going to keep any of these DGD's from getting snaps? I'm willing to bet the Ranch that Kendall will have the most productive year of his career! Hot on his heels will be Daijun, Rod, Branson, Cash, Andrew, Sevaughn, Jacob and maybe even Len'Neth.... BTW, any word on Len"Neth??? At the end of the 23 season we will be comparing this team with the best ever fielded in Georgia's history!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let me start by saying I am a Coach Smart fan and now, I have no concern whatsoever about any of our players just because Coach Smart is hardly ever satisfied with anything as it pertains to the team. Let's not forget that after Stetson won offensive MVP in every playoff game he played in 2021, Smart tried to get Caleb Williams, when 95% of the Coaches in the SEC would have been more than satisfied with Stetson.

Of course everyone on the team needs to improve but I am not drinking the "woe is me" kool-aid because no one really stood out in the first scrimmage on the D-line nor QB nor RB nor whatever position. Until the season starts, I am almost more interested in the injury report than anything else the Coaches say. Their words can make us think all of those 4 and 5 kids should have gone to Georgia Southern.