Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Closer look at Georgia RB room: Kendall Milton might still have dream season

SystemSystem Posts: 10,533 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageCloser look at Georgia RB room: Kendall Milton might still have dream season

ATHENS — This was supposed to be Kendall Milton’s big year, and ultimately it might still prove to be just that.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well Mike, since I don't do twitter/X or what ever, I'd like to weigh in on your "Biggest Concern" query....I'm picking "Other"! Other as in I am most concerned with "buy In' from all of the "Chicken Little", "The Sky Is Falling", "dome and Gloom Predictions" "incessant injury reports" from the national media and from DawgNation. Why not report the TRUTH???? Does anyone believe that a turf toe, sore hamstring, bangs and bruises are going to keep any of these DGD's from getting snaps? I'm willing to bet the Ranch that Kendall will have the most productive year of his career! Hot on his heels will be Daijun, Rod, Branson, Cash, Andrew, Sevaughn, Jacob and maybe even Len'Neth.... BTW, any word on Len"Neth??? At the end of the 23 season we will be comparing this team with the best ever fielded in Georgia's history!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Has Milton ever participated in a full preseason camp? Unless he gets completely healthy, he might be passed on the depth chart.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"The reality is that Georgia has the sort of schedule where it won’t likely be tested until a road trip to Auburn on Sept. 30, which affords more time for Milton to heal and hit stride."......in the mean time give every player in the room multiple shots to show what they can do and how badly they want it.....the way I see it we have 4 weeks of practice and 4 games against teams that will be giving their best to even score against The Dawgs....I'd say that's 4 weeks of trial by fire and given the already demonstrated talent.....we've got a lot of "cream" rising to the top!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

Not sure "getting a lot of practice reps" is as beneficial to a RB. Especially the live reps that UGA emphasizes. I understand getting in hitting shape. But there is a fine line between what is enough vs too much for a RB.

Not sure anyone EXPECTED Milton "to play such a large role" this season. Not based on his injury history. Can he hold up to even a medium load? The role I expect for Milton is 3rd down back. He is probably the best proven receiver out of the backfield. He can be a run, block or catch threat in the backfield. Being 3rd down back meters his touches and splits his touches between runs and receptions. That's the best way to ensure he is healthy for the SECCG and beyond. Not sure we'll see him until the AU game.

Expect a RB by committee this fall with anyone that can play each week. If healthy, DEdwards is RB1. He is proven and generally durable. Tough and experienced. RRob/BRob probably share the same role based on who is healthy. Spell RB1 and share the workload. CJones is the receiver out of the backfield in games that Milton can't go. APaul will be brought along slowly. He won't be rushed back unless it is an emergency. Whitehead should be able to contribute spot game reps while other players are injured. SClark can also fill that role.

A few more weeks and a relatively easy early schedule should help the UGA RB room get ready for what will be needed.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...if it ain't receivers...it's running backs. I don't remember the last time UGA entered a season with a fully stocked kitchen....but, they always seem to make do, with what's available. Now, that's coaching.

I gotta say, though...I agree with the others on the number of foot and hamstring injuries. They seem to have a "higher than average", number of those type injuries every year. Is there a correlation between the injuries and the field at the new practice facility? I just don't remember that particular set of injuries being an issue prior to 2020

In parting...I'll add my 2 cents...I Believe Cash Jones and B. Robinson Will be the two top dogs by the time UGA plays Florida. Cash was very impressive last year, and looked great in the Natty, while sharing the load with Robinson in the second half. I think Bobo may be planning to go old school with the running game, this year.

The dogs don't have to do anything fancy on offense, to win. Just old fashioned hard-nosed football will be enough to destroy 90% of their potential competition. One thing I remember about Mike...he liked to throw a trick play in there from time-to-time to keep the defense off-balance and the crowd happy. With Bobo...it's called Funball.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What's happened to Daijun Edwards? I watched him since his highschool championship game his senior year in high school. He was great them, and he's been great at Georgia.. He pass blocks, he catches out of the backfield and he refuses to go down. Why aren't you mentioning him?

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Edwards is a more proven receiver than Milton. Problem is he's not as quick and shifty as McIntosh or Cook.

Your point on Milton is well taken -- although I want to believe that he'll overcome the injuries and be able to live up to his potential. When healthy, he's a really fun back to watch -- combination of speed and power that many of the greats have.

The thing that stands out to me about this year's RB unit is the power. Both Robinsons, Milton and even Paul are big loads to handle, while we may have our best interior line ever. I don't know whether a power running game -- where you eat up the clock wear down the opponent's DL until they're mush -- can match today's high-flying offenses. But, if a throwback like that could ever work again, this would be the squad to do it.