Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football confident a bigger Oscar Delp will mean a better Oscar Delp

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football confident a bigger Oscar Delp will mean a better Oscar Delp

ATHENS — Oscar Delp actually beat Brock Bowers in something. The two tight ends both knew they were going to have to add weight this offseason. Bowers is competitive about everything, as just about anyone in the program will tell you.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love the buy in.

Apparently, it is across the board at least amongst those who will get to play.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The word on the street is that even with his newly added weight he is blowing by some of the DB's.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oscar is championship quality in attitude and ability!

Kirby has built a red and black machine in Athens. If for whatever reason a part is no longer functional, replacement parts are readily available. The machine may require some fine tuning or even need to be retooled occasionally in order to keep it operating at peak efficiency when parts are replaced. Kirby and his crew of master mechanics built the machine from the ground up and are experts at running and maintaining the machine so it will keep producing championships like no other!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Needless to say, things did not go well for Delp when asked to block the 275-pound wrecking ball."

At 245 pounds (and with his athleticism), Delp may be able to stop most defensive ends and outside LBs. But he's still occasionally going to be overmatched against guys like Mykel Williams or, say, the Buckeye's J.T. Tuimoloaun. That could matter in games against the most talented opponents.

Not dissing on Delp. Sounds like he knows how much he has to work to do his best. Buit you just don't lose a unicorn like Washington without it having an impact.

Bowers is still going to be the best blocking TE on the team (not because Delp and the other guys won't do well), but because Brock is almost as good at blocking as he is at snatching the ball and running with it! Are we sure that none of those microbiology labs at UGA can't lone him?

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m Believing in Oscar Delp. Even when he was really green at UGA he showed flashes of potential greatness for the future. Now with him having worked so hard to get his body in top shape, knowing the playbook, and the in game experience he had vs OSU ( he had had bits in pieces in other games to).

I Believe he will be a great weapon for UGA. It’s not really At This Point fair, to try to compare him to Bowers. As Bowers is a one of a kind in All college football. Heck Bowers could start on some NFL teams right now !!

But Delp could in time develop into Another Bowers !! NO he can’t replace Big no HUGE Darnell W. He was a one of a kind to. So No he won’t absolutely smash some of the better defenders like Darnell did, but if he can just slow them down a couple of steps. Then it’s up to our QB to get the ball off.

If Delp can stow some of the top defenders to one, and two and three and Ball Out and in the air, he will have done his job. Or if he can give even a slight lean on a defender on a running play for our RB to brush on past he will have done his job.

Against top defenders I doubt he will be as dominating as Darnell, there’s not many ( Any ??) TEs in college football that can, but if he can just be effective and I’m Believing he can, he will be Very useful to UGA.

And that’s just discussing his blocking, there are gonna be quite a few times I’m sure that the opposing D is gonna think the ball is going to Bowers ( and Many times it will be !!) but instead Delp gets the target and Boom downfield he goes !!

Big D had great hands and speed for a man his size, but I believe Delp will have Better hands catching the ball and Better speed. Seeing him and Bowers in action should be extremely exciting for Dawgs fans and extremely depressing for rivals !! 😀

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We are blessed at TE. Delp is going to be great. A different type of great then Bowers but still great.

Season cannot come quick enough imo. Aleady lost Luckie and others guys banged up from the Spring. Too many injuries. Need to keep working and hopefully not lose anyone else.

Defense is going to b something else. Good luck scoring on us this year.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg888 Amen to all you said Bro. !! You sound like your pumped up and ready for the season to start !! Me to !! Hey I found this read from Gronk about having two TEs to be interesting. I’m not an NFL fan, but Gronk was one of the greats so……….

https://apple.news/A6bS5jWrlSEWbWOPv8v1sNg