Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why Brock Bowers, Glenn Schumann and Kirby Smart are all big fans of Chaz Chambliss

SystemSystem Posts: 10,482 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhy Brock Bowers, Glenn Schumann and Kirby Smart are all big fans of Chaz Chambliss

ATHENS — Chaz Chambliss knows Brock Bowers as well as anyone on the Georgia football team. In addition to facing off against each other routinely in practice, the two are also roommates.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What will our defensive identity be.....from what I've seen so far it's "Run Stop". Presenting a solid front that will out quick and out strength an offensive line wins the trenches. LB play becomes key to thwart traps, reverses and sweeps. To stop opponents rushing attempts requires your opponent to compete against one of the best secondary's in the 23 season. It also means 3rd down "bring the house/jail break" pressure on any pass attempts. I believe we are primed to see a run on 21's record of not giving up rushing TD's and rushing yards per game.

• Options
    WoodrowWoodrow Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

Our first test against the run will be when we play Ole Miss, their RB Judkins is no joke.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

If Chambliss is "going to play the most out of anyone at the position for Georgia in 2023" then UGA is probably not a playoff team. I would expect that Chambliss will play the most for the 1st 5 or 6 games and then someone will bump him down to 2nd or 3rd team. (MJ Jr, DWilson).

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From what I've seen the past several years is no one runs consistently against UGA. Now passing, that's another story. Let's hope we can shut down the passing attacks a little better this year, than years past. What BY was able to do with 2 blue chip receivers, Stroud, and then LSU lit us up pretty good when they just went all in on the pass. With the loss of Carter, I don't see the pass rush from the D-line being any better than last year so we will have to have more from our LB's.

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

I thought the same thing when I read that line. I love Chambliss' energy and determination, but I don't see him as that guy who will consistently pressure the QB. I expect him to be a first and second down player early and one of the young guys to play more on third down and then take over more as the season progresses. I'm concerned this defense won't be able to pressure the QB and that will cause problems when they play good teams with prolific offenses and average teams (South Carolina) with good QBs.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

Judkins is no joke....rated #1 in SEC for 2023! We'll also be tested by #2 Rocket Sanders/Arkansas, #3 Jarquez Hunter/Auburn, #4 Ray Davis/Kentucky, #5 Montrell Johnson and #9 Trevor Etienne Florida, #8 Jayden Wright/Tennessee and MAYBE #6 Jase McClellen/Bama along with our friend, GA native, and true freshman Justice Haynes.....FACT OF THE MATTER....there is no Defense that will face a more deadly murders row of running backs than The Dawg Defense in 2023......who are those A__Hats that say our schedule is weak???

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The way you stop passing is qb pressures/sacks. Against running qbs you have to be careful with how you apply pressure so you contain them in the pocket.

The times we have had issues we have not been able to get pressure fast enough and the qb and wrs have been elite or very very good. Bryce Young and Stroud are both elite top 5 picks in the NFL draft. The wrs they had to throw to are first round picks.

In those 3 games we could not apply pressure adequately in 2 of those games because the referees allowed too much blatant holding against our defensive line. The worst of those was the SECCG against Bama. But why? Why was it so bad. It was so bad because Lanning decided not to blitz a lot and combined with the holding Bryce picked us apart. We did not recognize this deficiency and correct it. Now in the NC game we came out with a different strategy. We basically said we are going to blitz even if we give up a big play here or there because we cannot get pressure fast enough when the referees allow so much holding on our defensive linemen. We had one of the greatest defensive lines in college football history so that should tell you how effective holding is.

Now we have since learned our lesson and we have only once gone back to the defense Lanning ran that day against any team that has an elite or good qb. I think that was the second half against LSU and look what happened. Against OSU same recipe as NC the year before. We took our chances with blitzes because we had too (the holding was so atrocious) and unfortunately for us Stroud and Harrison are elite. Stroud also ran more against us then he ever did before (this was a complaint of OSU fans that he didn't run scramble enough).

Long story short. If we face an elite qb we have to blitz.