Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 takeaways from Georgia Scrimmage 2; key injuries and QB politics

SystemSystem Posts: 10,555 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
image3 takeaways from Georgia Scrimmage 2; key injuries and QB politics

ATHENS — Kirby Smart knew Carson Beck would be his starting quarterback before Saturday, but what he didn’t know was how his team would perform in Scrimmage Two.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My Three Takeaways...At QB the Dawgs will be a Three Headed Monster that no DC in America will be able to plan for short of a criminal act. The TE room will shock most. Yes, DW is gone BUT his legacy will be the inspiration which makes these four TE's first team wide receivers that block like first team DL's! When it comes to "Game Changers"....every starter on offense and defense ie: if you're on the field, is a game changer. Working together, our opposition has about as much chance as a beach born palm tree facing a tsunami...at the end of the day, uprooted, wet and no longer on the beach!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How often is it that the three top programs in college football all have open QB competitions? When it comes to those QB rooms, though, I'd rather be Georgia than Alabama or Ohio State. Come to think of it, when it comes most position groups, I'd rather be Georgia!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@CandlerPark

Alabama's QB room is a total mess. Saban allowing his new OC to import Tyler Buchner from South Bend, who isn't that good and doesn't have the arm strength for the SEC, will help keep it that way this year and next. With the Rees hire and bringing in Buchner, Saban may be trying to emulate what UGA did with SB IV. Problem: Bama has recruited a bunch of guys for a pro style vertical passing scheme, not an offense where the TEs and RBs were more involved in the passing game than the WRs like UGA the past 2 years. If Buchner starts and Rees tries to use an offense that "worked" against the easy schedule that Notre Dame is allowed to construct for itself every year, it will be a debacle and the "replace Saban with Lane Kiffin" thing might be implemented for 2024 instead of 26 or 27 as planned.

Ohio State is the opposite. Kyle McCord is going to be the fourth consecutive #1 draft pick and NFL starter produced by the Buckeyes after the late Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields and CJ Stroud. Ohio State does have questions. They lost 3 OLs and 4 of their front 7 from a program that doesn't recruit the trenches nearly as well as UGA does. (It is a shame to see yet another program throw away decades of power football tradition to go soft with the spread. Happened at Nebraska, Colorado, Washington, USC, A&M, Oklahoma, Texas and now Ohio State.) But QB isn't one of them.

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2023

Vandegriff probably knows he lost in a fair competition. He now knows he may spend the rest of his football playing career holding a clipboard or mop-up duty if he stays at UGA. No NFL scouts will come knocking without tape. I can't blame him one bit if he transfers. Thoroughbreds want to play the game and he's probably better than many other QBs starting in the SEC.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It s a long season with potentially 15 games. All sorts of stuff can happen. I'm glad we have him here in case Beck goes down. When the story for this season is written let's see where we are at instead of jumping to conclusions before Game 1.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate to disagree because I love my Dawgs. However, OSU has proven that it knows how to develop qbs and get them drafted high as does Alabama. Both of those schools also get the cream of the crop wide receivers whereas we do really great with the next level recruits.

So who here wouldn't want Marvin Harrison Jr. or Egbuka on the Dawgs?! Of course you would...I love Ladd but Egbuka and Harrison Jr. are top 20 first round guys.

So I think it is important to admit that we can do better. I think the coaching staff is trying to do better but these wrs are looking for stats and we can't show that right now.