Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC Network star Chris Doering: ‘Significant gap’ for Georgia football, predicts 3-peat

SystemSystem Posts: 10,551 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageSEC Network star Chris Doering: ‘Significant gap’ for Georgia football, predicts 3-peat

Former Florida star Chris Doering admits he has a bias toward Georgia, but not the kind one might expect from a former football rival.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'd like to call that Rat Poison, as it surely is, but he has a strong point. Personnel wise, I'm not sure Georgia is as wonderful as they think - those kids need to work harder than last year. However, Kirby's coordinators are just better than Bama's. It makes a difference.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2023

Nooooo! Come on man! Doe Ring is rarely right. Pick anyone but us! Talk about jinxing our boys! He is always wrong! Forget about rat poison. We got that. Forget how good we are. This is just bad juju man! Freakin' Doe Ring. It should be called the Doe Ring curse, anytime he predicts something good! Sheesh! Now we got to beat the Doe Ring curse....

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Probably 12 teams that have a legitimate shot this year and 6 that have a really good shot. Not sure the difference in those top 6 or 12 is much. Going to have to play really well and have a couple lucky breaks to get it done this year.

I don't think we are the run away favorite due to our DL and RB situations. Both of those could become strengths for us if we can avoid the injury bug, get healthy and develop some young talent. Now if those 2 areas get fixed then I can see us being head and shoulders better. Here is my crystal ball.

MIlton gets healthy and provides that dominant running back OR

Branson gets healthy and provides that dominant running back

Nazir and Brinson play like 1st or 2nd round picks. Christian Robinson or Ingram Dawkins take a big leap forward in providing quality depth. Jamaal Jarrett gets in shape and becomes a force in the middle backing up Nazir. Hall becomes the player we all think he can be by mid-season.

So I actually think there is a good chance a couple of those things happen and if they do then we might be the team Doering thinks we are now.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, a blind squirrel finds a nut ever now and then!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Generally realistic expectations (with a few exceptions) by @BigDawg888 and @jdatl3. Something pretty rare here on Dawgnation.

Good article on Dawgnation today about injuries. Injuries will be the key to the level of success this season. Last season there were players that could not miss extensive time or playoff time. Nobody missed extensive or playoff time except NSmith. JCarter, DWash and KMilton all made it back for the playoffs.

The '23 team does not seem to have as much experienced depth as the '21 and '22 teams did. So it is imperative that most players and ALL key players stay healthy or be healthy for the playoffs. Backups on the OL, DL (DE) and CB seem to be a step down from the starters. A big enough step to jeopardize a season.

But all teams run the same risks and most teams will deal with some level of injury.

As for KMilton staying healthy, he has not been able to do so while at UGA. To help insure the highest probability of staying healthy he won't carry a heavy load this year until the playoffs (unless pressed by other RB injuries). He may be used mostly as the 3rd down back.

Stack, Brison and TID are all solid players though 1st rd choices is a reach w/o a major breakout. CMiller needs to make a big leap from his FR season.

The soft UGA schedule may be the blessing needed to allow a 3-peat. The schedule should allow UGA to play 4 deep at every position and take excessive game reps away from 1st or 2nd teamers.

But there are starters on both O and D that, if injured, greatly reduces the probability of winning all the games this season.

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

Injuries will play a big part like every year, but most forget that the 2021 team started the year without their top three receivers (Pickens, Jackson, Blaylock); a redshirt freshman at receiver and a true freshman at tight end. The projected starter at center was out and the starting QB didn't make it through two games. Now, the defense was generational and carried them until the SEC championship, but the young players stepped up during the year and we had guys like Ringo, Bennett and A.D. Mitchell leading the team in the championship game. This is what makes college football exciting, watching these young kids develop and the team come together.

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

To Doering’s credit, he’s acknowledging Georgia’s strengths in ways that Georgia fans have gotten a bit offended over when Rece Davis and others didn’t. If Georgia isn’t strong enough to overcome the Doering curse this year, then I guess it wasn’t meant to be. Hopefully he gets it right though. 

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"I don't think we are the run away favorite due to our DL and RB situations. Both of those could become strengths for us if we can avoid the injury bug, get healthy and develop some young talent. Now if those 2 areas get fixed then I can see us being head and shoulders better. Here is my crystal ball."......BigDawg, I like the way you think.....I'll add on what Mike emphasized....Kirby is the MASTER at managing talent and our coaching staff develop raw talent into Elite TEAM talent better than any program in America.....that my friend is the reason why we will three-peet N 23! My prediction: By the National Championship game there will be at least 7 little or unknown Dawgs that will be the talk of the country....I'm thinkin Cash Jones, Zeed Haynes, Aliou Bah, Monroe Freeling, Raylen Wilson, Marvin Harrison and Mekhi Mews. GOOOO DAWGS, SICEM!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Note to Mike, Thank You, Sir......only you could or would ever make it possible for this GATOR HATER to admit that Chris ain't so bad after all! Rat poison works only when the members on a given team know they don't measure up to the hype....The 23 Dawgs know how much they've worked to earn every victory we achieve and that winning is the only measure of success!