Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BREAKING: Elite in-state 2026 QB Julian “Ju Ju” Lewis commits to Lincoln Riley at USC

2»

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It clearly is a differnt mindset than I had growing up. KIds have social media and have so much access that kids even 20 years ago didn't have. THere would have been no way on God's green earth I would have desired to leave my home state and play at a school other than UGA when I was growing up dcades ago. I grew up listening to the DAWGS on radio and then watching them later on. THey were MY team and always will be. Many kids today just don't have that same blind loyalty. THey've been exposed to so much.

Why would a kid want to go to the west coast where presumably there's no family and play for a team that hasn't been relevant for years now when it come to the NC when as it now stands his home state school is going to be playing for a 3rd straight NC? Go figure.

I don't think it's due to a poor "Selling" job on UGA/Kirby's part. Maybe it's the west coast vibe he likes, sailing, surfing, pretty girls, or he just thinks Linclon Riley can make him into a Heisman but heck, Bennet came close, so, I don't buy that argument.

What's clear is at this stage in his young life winning and a being a NC QB aren't the foremost things on his mind. Maybe in a couple of years of maturity things will change!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Beachwagon QBs don't go play for Lincoln Riley for a shot at winning national titles. They go play for Lincoln Riley for a shot at being high NFL draft picks or NFL starters and earning (what should be) life-changing and generational wealth by the time they are 26. Riley QBs that have done this? Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts. Caleb Williams will join them in a few months. The Jalen Hurts thing in particular. 3 years at Alabama, he looks like he can't throw a forward pass and gets benched, with being a 6th round pick at RB or safety as his best scenario for making the NFL. 1 season with Riley turns him into a Heisman runner up and NFL 2nd round pick at QB who just signed a contract with $170 million in guaranteed money.

Ohio State? Same. Their last 3 QBs in a row - Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields, CJ Stroud - have been #1 picks. Everything that I have read about Kyle McCord the past 2 years indicates that he is going to be #4.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

I don't mind some straightforward reporting on a recruit Georgia wanted deciding to go elsewhere. As others have pointed out, that is a UGA recruiting story. What irks me are the super long articles that give you the player's whole life story after he's rejected Georgia. Who cares? It's weird.

Anyway, yes, there's still plenty of time for Lewis to come around. And if he doesn't, hey, it could be a lot worse. At least he won't be going to a program that is going to pose any real threat to Georgia.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UGADad20 Nah those are the old days. Thanks to the rules changes NFL teams are now able to run college offenses. Arizona literally hired Kliff Kingsbury from Texas Tech to run the same offense that he ran for Pat Mahomes at Texas Tech for Kyler Murray. Baltimore has also been running a version of Bobby Petrino's Louisville offense for Lamar Jackson. Because of this, guys jump into the NFL after one year all the time. The latest example? Anthony Richardson, who went #4 overall pick after 1 season as a starter (he got more playing time as a backup than Beck did but not a whole lot ... 66 attempts in 2021 and 2 in 2020). Under Bobo this season UGA will be one of the rare programs that still runs a pro style offense. Beck would be a lot better prepared for the NFL than pretty much any QB in an NCAA that has now gone all spreadville - even Alabama seems to have adopted it leaving basically just Ole Miss, Michigan and Texas - so if he wins games and puts up numbers next season he will be a high #1 draft pick. And if he doesn't win games and put up numbers he will get the hook.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If it is so, so be it. Riley has done very well with a few of his QB's, won 3 Heisman's, etc. But none have tore up the NFL, just had a couple of good seasons. We can or cannot count Jalen Hurts, who played in the SEC most of his college career and has the highest upside it seems.

But you cannot blame a kid for wanting to win the Heisman. However, Lincoln Riley is not the be all end all of QB's in college football. Certainly is not in the NFL either.

QB's can play anywhere in college, at any school, and have a great college and NFL career. Good NFL QB's are a rare breed and Lincoln Riley is not going to move the needle once a kids college career is over and its NFL time. Its about the individual player and how far they can make it up the mountain, once they get into the arena. So much involved. Most are not even good once they get there, and a very rare few ever become great.

So go where you want to be young man. But do not expect Lincoln Riley to have the magic formula or pave the road to have success in the NFL, much less be great. But if your short-term goal is to win the Heisman, then Riley is definitely your coach.

• Options
    SR_JRSR_JR Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore

I guess I'm just a UGA fan diehard. If you don't want to play for GA I don't want to read/see anything about you. ESPECIALLY if you're from the state. We have plenty of recruits that information can be gathered on and written about. Show some more love towards the ones that want to be here as oppose to those choosing not to be!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've traveled the world and girls are better looking here than in California. Just saying. I grew up on the west coast and would never go back. Love Athens. Married a UGA girl.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 383 ✭✭✭ Junior

I mean his overall teams aren’t good, but to say he doesn’t develop QBs just makes you ****. He has had 3 heisman QBs and all in first round that are #1 overall picks. Williams will be this year. What they do in the league is a different story. Use your brain not your bias

• Options

Like I said earlier if you want to play on a team that never wins squat you go play for Riley. He is not a HC . He is an OC who gets head coaching jobs because of his offenses. Stats, yes. Heisman qbs, yes. Championships, no. Now I would actually be more concerned about him bolting for the NFL and then you turn around and your head coach is some has been big 10 guy or a used up pac guy (see Chip Kelly).

More power to him. Girls are much better looking here and there are more of them. You can't throw a stick in Athens without hitting a couple 9s. He will figure it out eventually when he is playing in the Sun Bowl in El Paso.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

The NFL is desperate for QB's. GM's will take a chance trying to find gold. Beck has been in the program 3 yrs so he is not typical. I expect him to do well but I am not sure that translates into Rd 1 based on 1 yr as productive starter.

AR15 is not a valid argument. The guy is a freak athlete. Think a bigger faster Cam Newton with a better arm. Those guys don't come around very often and are very tempting to gamble on. Beck will not be veiwed the same way as AR15 no matter how many yards/TD's he puts up this year.

Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins, Drew Lock, Derek Carr.....all good CFB QB's not picked in the 1st rd. To me CBeck is Drew Lock.

• Options
    SR_JRSR_JR Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore

Remember Mac Jones from Alabama... started one year had a great season round 1. Joe Burrows transfers into LSU 1 year starter 1st round draft pick. How come Beck can't be the next 1 YEAR 1ST ROUND PICK!!!. It would be great for the program if he does. The he moves on and Vandergrif moves into Qb1.

• Options

Thank you for proving my point. Mac Jones had a 200 QBR rating (SBIV 161 QBR), threw for 6003 yds and 56/7 td/int (SBIV 66/21) for his last 2 years at AL. Burrow started 2 years at LSU threw for 8565 yds and 76/11 tds/ints.

• Options

Your posts make me want to take up soccer as my new favorite sport. Holy Smokes dude are you serious Clarke? Beck has a great arm and is very accurate. When Beck wins the Heisman you can come back here and eat a plate of crow. You will see. Maybe you didn't know he lit up that defense of ours for over 300 yards and 4 tuds did you? Did you see the spring game? This guy is for real. You need to prepare yourself.

But, but, but you are right about the whole Anthony Richardson thing. He was absolute garbage at Florida and got a 1st round. Levis, garbage at Kentucky, top o fthe 2nd round. So I will give you props about GMs being desperate for QBs. The problem is they will throw away a 1st or 2nd round pick on a guy with big muscles who is tall. Beck though is really really really good.

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Levis Jr stats were pretty close to SBIV's Jr stats. But Levis played for KY and not UGA. BTW Levis 2nd rd pick. IF he wanted to move up to the 1st rd maybe another yr (at a better program?) would've helped him? After all SBIV moved from a rating of UFA to being drafted in the 4th rd by coming back and getting more experience. SBIV already had 3 years of starting experience at the CXFB level yet he came back and improved his stock.

Excuse me for not thinking Beck is "really, really, really good" yet. Ya know until I see it, sustained, at the SEC level. Why should I eat crow if Beck wins the Heisman trophy? Never said he wasn't good or couldn't. Just said he is pretty much an unknown. He is 14th in odds to win the Heisman. Not exactly recognized as a favorite. Certainly not where the smart money is going. Maybe if he played well this year and came back next year he'd be the favorite? And have a better chance to get into the 1st rd?

Not sure what your problem is but I responded to @khummel who said CBeck, BVG and GS would start in '23, '24, '25 and all apparently go on to the NFL after starting 1 season at UGA. The odds of that happening are infinitesimally small.

BTW did you put up your Carson Beck poster on your bedroom wall yet?

• Options

Your football experience is questionable. The word on the Levis experiment is he is a bust already.

You take Levis all day or Anthony Richardson. If getting to the professional league is the only criteria then a player should pick a conference where you do not risk injury as much but have a chance to put up big stats.

I don't know who I would rather be, Levis or Bennett the IV? Who do you wanna be in this life? A sellout only for money? Or someone who wins championships?

• Options
    edited August 2023

Thank you for unwittingly making my point again. I will try to explain it to you one for time in hopes that you understand. Cognitive thinking is not your strong suit.

SBIV is the poster child for honing your skills at the CFB level with as much experience as you can. SBIV started at the CFB level for 4 seasons. His 6 years of experience are the alll time record for any CFB QB. And it paid off and shows in his polish.

Levis and AR15 cashed in before they were ready. That may prove to be a gamble that leads to a short NFL career OR gets the selecting GM fired. Both of those players would've benefited greatly by staying another year in school and gaining experience.

The same point for Beck should he want to be fully prepared for the next level and maximize his draft position.

Stick to your day job chief and being a Pollyanna fan. Leave the more insightful football analysis to the more objective fans on Dawgnation.

• Options

I don't think you are a DAWG fan honestly. If you are, then my apologies, but your posts come across like you are a bored fan of another team who comes on here and poo poos every positive article about Georgia with a negative spin. I've read too many of your posts now to consider you anything else. I've tried to give you a couple of up votes when you actually made a decent point or showed some enthusiasm which is rare. Good luck to you sir. I will not be responding to anymore of your posts until I see some positive pro UGA posts.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MOst pundits see Beck as a one and done, espeically if he puts up big numbers like they expect him to do, see AAron Murray for one. If he puts up 35 TD's with few INT's and say 3500-4000 yards and shows great poise and leadership, he will be a 1st round pick. THere would be little nned to stay another year as for moving up in the draft. For his overall development going into the next level,yeh,OK, you can argue that.

However, tHere will be no dropping BEck down to a later round based on some type of "measurables" as they did with SB, as in height or poundage, he covers all of those. He just needs more tape to make GM's feel comfortable. UGA runs a Pro-type offense so he will already be a leg up on the QB's coming out next year. He just needs to prove he's a dude that has to be reckoned with.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ju Ju, I wish you well, that coiffure and your moniker will take you far in LaLa land....maybe pick up some finger nail decoration tips from soon to be gone CW.....with Beck in 23, Vandagriff in 24, Gunner/Raiola 25, Raiola/Puglisi 26, Puglisi 27 the competition would be hard to crack for JuJu......not to mention you don't play for Lincoln Riley to become a TEAM player, his coaching past speaks for itself.