Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

WATCH: Rocky night in Denver for Georgia star Stetson Bennett, pulled after 2 interceptions

SystemSystem Posts: 11,134 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Rocky night in Denver for Georgia star Stetson Bennett, pulled after 2 interceptions

Stetson Bennett had a rocky night in Denver, benched three offensive series into the game after throwing two interceptions.

Read the full story here

Comments

• khummelkhummel Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The whole team stunk last night. To Stetsons credit, at least on one of the INTs he made the tackle, causing a fumble and getting the ball back for his offense. Go Dawgs!

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate to say it but Stetson looked horrible. Just threw into coverage and the decisions looked bad. I don't know if he could not see that his guy was covered by 3 other players.

The picks were bad. Bad. Reminded me of some of the issues he had early on here where he looked like he just didn't see the field. Hate it for him.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed. He'd better pick it up quickly. In college, they'll give you a couple of years. In the pros, they'll give you a couple of months. So let's see that next gear, Stets! Go Dawgs!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The things that work at the CFB level don't always work at the NFL level. Managing the game at the CFB level when you are always on the better team lets you ride out a few bad plays w/o taking the L. Not so much in the parity league NFL.

CKS managed SBIV well (and to SBIV's benefit) by keeping him on a very short leash at UGA.

Last night SBIV looked like he reverted to gun slinging days a little bit. Made some bad decisions w/o the specter of the CKS hook hanging over his head. Like most QB's he gets in trouble when he forces the ball or tried to do too much.

Have to wonder if last night's performance shuffles SBIV down from #2 QB to the practice squad? Preseason is preseason; full of subs and FA's. May take a while but looking forward to seeing SBIV in an actual NFL game. It will be interesting to see how his game, height, arm, decision making translate to the next level.

Like most rookies preseason has been up and down so far.

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For that tackle alone SBIV deserves a bit more time. He's not a drop back pocket passer. Play calls must utilize his talents to be successful.Plus, he has to be surrounded with talent that performs on every snap....SBIV will never be The individual savior of any tea

P/S, For the record....I'm worn out hearing we won't be successful in 23 because we no longer have SBIV, Washington, and Mac....What we have will not only prove to be enough but will prove to be BETTER!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

Sean McVay held out the 1st team Offense, in the last preseason game, for several reasons...one of em, being...he wanted to find out how his backup QBs responded to playing out of their comfort zone with skill players that were working for a spot, themselves.

The QB is at a distinct disadvantage in Preseason, which is why HC's generally don't play their "starters" anymore. The missed blocking assignments and blown routes alone, can take a toll on even the likes of Matt Stafford.

They all saw what Bennett could do with half a deck, last week. With Kupp & the other "Starters" back in the lineup...Bennett will be just fine...as will Stafford. In fact, Stafford threw a pick to the same guy that picked off one of Bennett's...during a midweek combined scrimmage between the two teams. That one wasn't televised.

Most reporters, either don't know...or, don't acknowledge that "individual performance analysis" for the QB position...in a Preseason Game...can be taken with a grain of salt. Unless...you know which parts of the attack broke down due to mental error from 1 or more, of the other 10 players, which broke down from Quarterback mental error, which ones were physical errors...and why.

You can only know those things...if you attend post-game film breakdown with the Coaches. At face value...Bennett had a bad game. Behind the scenes...we have no idea. We'll know, when they take the field, in September. Or, earlier, if they cut him...which is not likely.

I will say one thing about Bennett's performance. Getting in front of that DB when he was returning that last pickoff...and stripping the ball...confirmed what i already knew.. That boy is a Football Player....not a prima donna.

And, I think that's why "Sports Reporters" have a hard time seeing him in the limelight....or, even understanding him. "Hard-nosed Gritty Smart Quarterback", isn't in their "Bag of Labels & Cliches" for quarterbacks. They've got "Game Manager" and "Fleet-Footed" and "Arm Like a Cannon"...etc..

Bein' a "Great"...or even "Good" quarterback, isn't enough anymore. You have to come with a "Narrative"...and, Bennett's was "Walk-on Backup QB". He had the audacity to not assume the position as defined by The Media...and they won't let him forget it. They say...he who laughs last...laughs longest. Bennett's laugh is coming. Take it to the bank.

I DO kinda wonder how the "Gators News Media" handled, 1st round pick, Anthony Richardson's last "start". Did they go back over every "faux pa" Richardson ever had, while he was at Florida? Or, did they point out, it's just a preseason game, with backups to backups all over the field. Which is a clear disadvantage to ANY QB.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BigDawg61

Richardson vs SB IV is apples and oranges. Richardson was the #4 overall pick. Richardson is going to get his 3 years unless he is world-historical awful and even being merely bad will get him 4 years. SB IV is a 4th round pick. He will get a mulligan his rookie year, but after that he is going to have to compete for a roster spot.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Speaks more to the team than the individual player, when Stidman outplays you on the other team.

We'll see about Bennett. Preseason isn't going to make or break him. Or, Richardson, for that matter. But, 1 thing's for **** sure...I would take Bennett in the 4th Round before you could give me 5 Richardson's in the 1st round. The round they are picked in doesn't define them.

IMO...Bennett can play quarterback...Richardson can't. Levis and Duggan were both taken higher than Bennett as well...if i'm not mistaken. And, neither of those guys will see the field before Bennett, however they are better quarterbacks than Richardson. That has nothing to do with talent...but, experience in a prostyle system on the biggest College stage, under the greatest of pressure. You know what they say...pressure makes diamonds and shatters glass.

Bennett has proven, he's not made of glass. All things being equal...that's the key to make it as a quarterback at the NFL level. As a QB...it's not just about what's in your legs and biceps...but, more about what's between your ears and in your chest.

Richardson would be far more valuable at RB or WR (TE in some systems). He hasn't shown me one iota of improvement, since the first time i saw him play, in 2021. He doesn't seem to want to play within a system...and that boat don't float, in the NFL. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. At least, until I see something that changes my mind.

BTW...I don't care what round you are taken in...1st, whatever. Being merely bad won't keep you around for more than a year or two...especially if you show no improvement. 1st Round was a bad pick, for Him. The pressure on the Coaching staff to start him, is off the charts.

Many a 1st round QB's career has been shortened from having to learn on the fly, like he's going to have to do. The two things he has going for him...are size and running ability. That'll keep him in the mix..for a while. But, eventually that speed is going to dwindle, like it did with Michael Vick. And, he's no Michael Vick.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Worst case, SBIV will be on somebody's roster or practice squad this year. And probably next.

But if you think SBIV's 2 INT's and 3 (?) batted down passes were because his teammates were 2nd and 3rd teamers you didn't watch the same game I did.

You have to recognize what you have with SB. You design an offense around his talents. You don't put him into your Matt Ryan mold or even your Matt Stafford mold. I think Monken understood that. BEck is a different aniimal at 6'4:. IMO you need to treat SB like a Russell Wilson. Neither are pocket passers.

Lol...no...I didn't say that. He had a bad start, for whatever reason. Then...I think it snowballed on him when he didn't handle the adversity as well as he knows he's capable. That's the "Head" thing I was talking about. You could see the frustration in his face.

I'm sure Payton is anxious to find out how he responds, as well. I'm sure he'll bounce back...he's been in this position before. I don't believe they're going to hold that game against him, though.

I don't see many QB's, including Stafford that could've done a whole lot better...interceptions not withstanding. Though, Stafford did throw an INT to the same DB Bennett threw one to, last Wednesday in a combined scrimmage (similar to preseason game).

Lol...this is gonna be a fun football season. I have a hunch, that Ga Tech is gonna have a big year, too.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BigDawg61

You have that position because Bennett went to UGA and Richardson is a Gator. But here's the deal: go to the Dawgnation forums and search. The same predictions for success for Jake Fromm - and failure for Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Jalen Hurts and the other QBs drafted ahead of him - were being made back then. If I had a nickel for everyone who was making Tom Brady/Jake Fromm comparisons (none of whom actually saw Brady play in college) back then ...

Yes, Bennett won it all at UGA. Jake Coker won it all at Alabama and didn't get make first cuts as a rookie undrafted free agent. Cardale Jones won it all at Ohio State and has bounced around the NFL, CFL, IFL etc. AJ McCarron won 2 national titles like Bennett, was a 5th round pick and backup for several years and was last seen unable to get an invite to training camp despite being the XFL MVP.

But yeah, fan blinders are really something. "Bennett has proven, he's not made of glass" ... while playing behind the best protection in college football at OL and TE. Richardson didn't look like a QB? Neither did Stetson Bennett back in 2018 when he was the same age that Richardson is now (21). For that matter he didn't in 2020 when he was 23 years old and going 18-40 with 3 picks against Bama, 9 completions and 2 picks the next week against Kentucky, and 5-16 with an INT and fumble and getting benched the week after against Florida.

Bennett was only consistently effective on the college level as a 24-25 year old man surrounded by one of the most talented rosters in college football history. But when he was younger, the OL and defense wasn't as good and he didn't have difference makers on offense like Bowers and Washington, meaning that he had to go through what Fromm did in 2018 and 2019? Not nearly as good. Indeed, flat out bad. So, believing that Bennett could have accomplished what Richardson did in Gainesville ... is a choice to shut your eyes pretend as if the SB IV of 2020 didn't exist. Meanwhile put Richardson in Athens with the 25 draft picks in 2 years (plus still more guys on the team that are going to get drafted this year like Bowers, Mims, Van Pran, Ratledge) and guess what? He would have looked a lot more like a QB. Especially with Monken calling the plays. Bowers and Washington - for example - put up much better numbers because Richardson would have actually been able to get them to ball 60 yards downfield. We know this because Richardson did so at Florida with guys blocking for him and catching the ball that were nowhere near as good.

Let's just play make believe for fun and make SB AR-15's size and AR-15 SB's size. Does AR-15 even get drafted? I think not. I think SB would be the first QB off the board in that scenario. What does that say? Just that AR-15 has gotten to where he is now based on his physical giftedness:how big he is, how fast he runs, and how far he throws a football, and not because he's a proven QB. Put his accomplishments on the collegiate level in SB's body and he doesn't get drafted.

Put SB's accomplishments in AR-15's body and he's all world! SB has accomplished more with less. You simply can't play at the level SB played with his size without some serious Hoodzpah! It just doesn't happen. You'd probably have to go back to Doug Flutie.

WHether that translates to a decent NFL career, I haven't a clue. But I do know this: as a fan who was touting JT over SB until after the Michigan game, I have learned not to bet against SB the player.

edited August 2023

First of all...full disclosure...I don't pay any attention to what "people are saying", when I do a player analysis. I will go back and see from time to time...like you're talking about.

I've found the "so-called experts" to be wrong about such things, far more often than they're right. And, not trying to beat my own drum or anything...but, I've been right far more than I've been wrong. That's probably because I don't make my money from it...and, don't have to justify my opinion to strangers, like they do. So, I'm not saying the experts didn't "see it"...I'm saying they didn't "say it".

One of my personal rules, is to disregard team achievements and accolades.. Not completely...but, if I use those things, in any way...I do it with an eye on what the QB had around him, and how well he was able to use the tools provided.

For instance...IMO...Young had his best playing year in 2022, despite the fact Bama didn't win the West. That team would've lost AT LEAST 2 more games. If not for Bryce Young. I don't think he's gonna make it in the NFL, but, that has nothing to do with his talent and ability. It's more about size and toughness.

I could be dead wrong...but, that's what I think. If Young can somehow stay healthy over the next 3 or 4 years, to give the front office time to build around.him...he COULD be one of the Best that's ever been. Same with Bennett.

Bennett reminds me a lot, of Joe Bureaux...on the field. Burrow obviously had better High School coaching which put him ahead of Bennett's time-line and career trajectory. All things being equal...Bennett and Burrow and Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray and Lamarr Jackson and Russell Wilson.....are all "birds of a feather".

The only thing separating them is the talent and experience around them. The better the supporting cast...the better, the "Team achievements & accolades". Burrow, Bennett & Wilson all wound up being drafted by teams that didn't/don't depend on the QB position being the only productive position on the field.

They had an Offense BEFORE those guys arrived....and their addition was just another piece of the puzzle that makes them a better "team". And at the end of the day...that's the goal. That's why I have a problem with giving a quarterback more credit or blame than is warranted. It's misguided and It's not fair to the rest of the team.

That being said...Bennett is a reliable football delivery system. He's the transmission from the engine to the drive-shaft. If any one of those things breakdown...the car doesn't move. Thursday's version of the Rams....had problems with all 3 aspects...the Engine, Transmission and Drive Shaft were all malfunctioning. Which makes it impossible to know which parts were failing and why...without doing the diagnostics on the car (Post Game Film Analysis).

BTW...Bennett played FBS and won 2 Natty's at the ripe old age of "23 & 24".......not, "24 & 25". He turns 25 this year. See....that's the kind of "narrative BS" I was talking about. In 10 years, people will be saying he was tending Bar, when Kirby recruited him at the age of 25. Lol