Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia stock report: Kirby Smart invested in Bulldogs’ growth potential

SystemSystem Posts: 10,556 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia stock report: Kirby Smart invested in Bulldogs’ growth potential

ATHENS — Kirby Smart saw some of his Georgia players grow up before his eyes on Saturday night.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, ya missed one:

stock down:

UGA schedule

im still torn between whether our offensive line s u c k e d or the play calling su ck ed. The next few games will tell.

I also feel like the game had no rhythm until the second half. I can’t tell if it’s from all the penalties or injuries.

either way it was great to finally see our dawgs play!

go dawgs and attack this week.

leave no doubt

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’d say injuries, guys not even dressed out, some playing injured ( veteran guys) and many making their first collegiate start. So Yes I’m concerned, but No I’m not worried.

UTM is a powder puff, but a stronger powder puff made with SweetNLow instead of pure sugar. They are well coached and have very good players for their peer group. And we were without McConkey, Rosemy-JackSaint, Daijun Edwards, Milton operating hurt at only 90% etc. etc.

Now the nrrrrrvous butterfly’s should be gone. Game 2 should give a better idea. At least to some degree. If Ladd is still out, Edwards not full go, Milton not full go, etc. we Still won’t know where we’re Really at on Offense.

Not making excuses just being realistic, cause think about IF those same guys were 100% healthy. Probably be a vast difference. I just hope their all fully healthy by the SC game so Dawgs fans can get a Real idea where we are on O. Good news is the Defense is pretty stout !! It’s all gonna come together. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stock WAY down: UGA fans who pretend as if UGA's offense ALWAYS looked as good during the 2021 and 2022 regular seasons as they did during the playoffs those years. Reality: UGA was actually less impressive in the 33-0 victory over Samford last year. That was followed by a 39-22 game against Kent State, needing to come from behind to beat Missouri 26-22, an Auburn game that didn't turn into a rout until and because Kirby decided to play the starters in the 4th quarter and run up 21 points against a tired defense, and UGA only managing 1 TD - 16 points overall - against Kentucky.

And the ones who want to play Vandagriff because he is more similar to Stetson Bennett IV. But which Bennett would Vandagriff be more similar to? The 25 year old 6th year senior Heisman finalist from 2022? Or the younger, less experienced one with less talent around him in 2020 that had more turnovers than TDs against ranked teams and was benched? And pretending as if even last year in his storybook Heisman finalist season, SB IV didn't have PLENTY of misfires as bad as or worse than Beck did Saturday is hilarious.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

A lot of revisionist history about that Samford game is being made to soften the bad performance Saturday. UGA was up by 30 at half against Samford and held them to half the yards. The Dawgs looked listless and bored against Samford, especially the second half, but hey looked less than that in the first half against UTM.

A lot of that could be a light gameplan and wanting to protect players from injury (we are dangerously thin at RB), but this game was much worse than Samford. That's not worrying or saying the sky is falling, it is just the reality if you are going to compare those two games.

Monken had his share of bad games, but he also had the benefit of high profile week 1 games to start 21 and 22. We don't know what his game plan would have looked like last year if we opened with say Portland State and not Oregon. I trust a lot of this will get cleaned up, but Saturday's performance taken on it's own was not that of a title contender. It simply wasn't. Will we get there? Maybe...but we aren't there yet, few ever are in Week 1. I would argue we are better off having looked like we did that FSU was looking like they did, at least from a learning opportunity perspective.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

It might seem like nit picking, but it goes to the bigger discussion that has surrounded this game since Saturday. How can you even say one way or the other that a performance against an FCS opponent was championship caliber? It's like having someone punch through a sheet of paper and judging their strength based on how much of their arm they put through it.

The point that people who are trying to draw conclusions from this game seem to be missing is that a game (ok, a win) against an FCS team can't tell you what you want to know about what kind of season your team is going to have. You can split as many hairs as you want, but the fact remains that Georgia put forth multiple performances last year that were generally similar to this one on their way to going 15-0 and winning the title game by 58 points.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stockton seems to have a natural comfort with the game and while he didn't have a chance to really show it off, I think he has quite a future ahead of him as does Vandagriff.

Games like this are ALWAYS lose-lose. Nothing really is gained from it. The other team is always pumped up beyond belief and has been preparing to play you specifically all Summer while you really have no major gameplan for them.

I realize that some fans get upset when fans can be critical, but that's just the nature of loving your team.