Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following Week 1 win over UT-Martin

SystemSystem Posts: 10,552 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following Week 1 win over UT-Martin

Winner: UGA safeties

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stock Up

Mekhi Mews

CJ Allen

Damon Wilson

Jamaal Jarrett

Jordan Hall

Stock Down

Play calling

Route running

OL blocking

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

BigDawg, I just got to add to the "Stock Up" list....Kyron and Ra Ra....for some reason Kirby loves to credit "luck" for great plays? If it were luck, my blind mother in law would have made the interception and navigated her walker into the end zone! Kyron was laser focused and 100% in the game "HUNTIN" for the opportunity......My "Where's RaRa" questions finally got answered....the heat's on Dom! As we make our way into the 23 season, continue to expect the "little known and No Name" player to make an impact.....one last comment, I am so tired of the declaration, "Delp is not Darnell...NSS! Taking nothing away from DW....that would take a few more inches, 40 lbs, and two weeks in Cancun with no sun screen... Delp is Delp and given the chance, he'll surpass Darnell in ways we have never seen....

• Options

Delp has added bulk and I think is going to do great things this year. I think he will block better than people realize. Nice to see RaRa have something good happen for him. Dom looked so good up to this point. I think he had the jitters or something. I think we need some guys to go into the Zen Zone and get their comfortability on!

• Options
    JimBobJimBob Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

I concur with SMARTSTHEMAN. The early play calling looked very familiar and easy to defend. I'll give Coach Bobo the benefit of the doubt at this point. Thought the offensive line play was not good in the first half.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 148 ✭✭✭ Junior

"get their comfortability on" ... love it. I'm going to use that one at home.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 219 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why would Bobo pull out the big plays against UT Martin. He kept it simple on purpose. Get his guys used to playing on game day with your more vanilla playbook and don't let anyone see what you have on tape. Plus, as mentioned before, he was out his starting receivers and half his running backs.

• Options

So I just finished watching the tape. We have a weakness in our run game even when the box isn't stacked and it has to do with firing off the line and our offensive linemen who are very good at pass pro are not all that great on run blocking. Footwork and explosion needs to improve there imo. Now this combined with an 85 percent Milton and no Edwards puts us in a disadvantage for inside runs.

On defensive line 55 and 52 are our best options. Especially 55 who is a straight up beast mode NT. Now if you want to really win a championship you need to Wilson involved and Smith involved for OLB. Lovett dropped 2 passes and ran his routes incorrectly a couple times at least. Several other questionable routes including the Arian Smith overthrow (would it have been an overthrow if Arian ran full speed the whole time?) C.J. looked impressive to say the least. Sorey may have already been overrecruuited.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where did you get a tape? It wasn't televised, so, I couldn't record it. Is it available somewhere else, cause I'm still waiting for SECN to do the replay tomorrow morning.

• Options

And..."Empty The Bench". You only get so-many of these opportunities every year. Kirby is absolutely bound to "work it" against "UT Martin" and a "beat-up Ball St. Team, coming off a game against UGA rival Kentucky".

That's a helluva 2 week period for any SEC Team...much less li'l ole Ball State. Kentucky's 1st play from scrimmage, went for 44yds. Lol...that should tell us all we need to know about what to expect, Saturday.

I don't expect more than a coordinated scrimmage. Points won't be the concern, for UGA, Saturday. I believe the order of the day will be split priorities...[consistency, depth and communications]. Get the 1st team Offense humming in the 1st (2nd?) quarter...both, on the ground and, in the air...in preparation for S.C.. Then...start feeding the beast with substitutions [player/team development & depth...being "The Beast". Lol].

IMO...We won't see the "real" UGA till Sept. 16. Any impression, inference, speculation or hype, surrounding UGA Football...will only be, that which is permitted by Coach Smart. He knows how to work the media, with his teams performance...through "play-calling" and "substitution"...to tamp down his team's explosiveness. And...even then, the Dawgs racked-up 11 or 12 "explosive plays", last Saturday. Though you'd never know it, from some of the overreactions.

The media IS fairly predictable, these days. More-so, than some of these ballgames, anyway. Lol...who knew Clemson, South Carolina, Florida...AND LSU, would all lay eggs this weekend?.

• Options

Offensive Line needs to re-learn run blocking in practice this week. Footwork and handwork drills over and over and over.

Wide receivers need to hit the Jugg Machine especially Mr. Lovett.

We need to emphasize setting the edge this week and preparing for Ball State's favorite play the bootleg.

Other than that not concerned.

• Options
    edited September 2023

They were playing a lot of different guys along that front...and UTM was selling out to stop the run.

That Mews TD run was a thing of beauty. The pull-blocking and downfield blocking was some of the best I've ever seen. Looked like a red picket fence strung down the field, in front of Mews.

Beck looked "off" on his accuracy and the WR,'s and DB's look like they forgot how to bring the ball into their body and secure it.. I'll chalk it up to rust under the lights.

Mike Cavan [Dooley era QB and Asst/Rctr], once told my Dad, that Lindsay Scott was the best he ever saw at catching the ball with his hands and getting it secured to his body...fast. Like...in one motion. It allows the receiver to concentrate on the YACs and hits with a reduced exposure to injury, incompletions and fumbles. Lovett and Starks need a lesson or two on ball control. IMO

That's after I've watched the 1st 3 qtrs. Lol