Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 takeaways from Kirby Smart: ‘Nobody says you have to be the best team after Week One’

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's what happens, when you challenge 5 guys to move 7 or 8....with their safeties crashing down to make it 8 or 9. I don't care what school they play for...that's a lot of beef.

All you're gonna get is 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Herschel couldn't have done much better with an "I 23 Blast"..and those are the type plays Kirby wanted to see. There weren't many counters or other designed runs.

Mews scored on one...that was a thing of beauty as far as blocking goes. The entire offensive line, released downfield to set up a picket fence. EVERYBODY put a hat on a hat.

If you noticed...when the Dawgs attacked the perimeter...the blocking was there. That's where UGA's LOS was in this game...but, they didn't exploit it. Why would they?...when they could've scored any time they wanted to.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

I agree. But, as far as practicing that particular skill...I can't think of a better time and place to do it, than practicing against the UGA Defensive front for the last several months off and on. Those guys were beat up last week. I know that didn't help.

And, let's face it...it takes juice to push the kind of pile they were facing. It's hard to get "juiced-up" for UT-Martin...or, Ball State, for that matter. It's like trying to go all out against your little nephews in one-on-one...or one on three. Lol

Reminds me of the "King of Queens" episode, where Doug was coaching a little league team for Deacon and his Son (Kirby). Deacon came to pick li'l Kirby up from practice, and Doug was quarterback'ing a scrimmage. Lol...he had 5 kids hanging on him, as he jogged into the endzone...and spiked the football...yelling "I'm on Fire!". Lmao

Lol...sounds like that's what some of our Fans wanted to see.

I thought they did an outstanding job, given the "rules of engagement" parameters probably set by Smart [IMO] going into the game against mighty UT Martin.

Lol...and, you're right. We're gonna see more of the same this week against a Ball St. Team that Kentucky just throttled. So...they will have walking wounded, too. I don't know how much more Kirby and Bobo can dial it back.

I'm getting ready to watch some of that "Kentucky vs Ball St. replay"...to see if Ball St. is gonna be up to the task of providing blocking dummies for the Dawgs NFL Grade oline. Lol

Watch the pull blocking on the perimeter...and downfield blocking on the release.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate