Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The eye-popping statistic the Georgia defense must improve immediately

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

"I saw you watch Brooks Austin on a prior thread and he does a very good job at dissecting the plays. You seemed to like his analysis last year. What changed? "________888

I don't even know what this means. Lol...who is Brooks Austin?

FYI...I do my own analysis. If it lines up with somebody else's...that's okay by me. And, if I see something that I may have missed...my analysis changes....and, that's okay, too. I'm not married to my opinion...it's fluid. And, I didn't mean to insult you. I was just being straight forward...I thought. If it sounded snarky, I'll dial it back, like Kirby. Lol

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh, sorry. I thought it was you. If you haven't watched Brooks Austin videos on Georgia Football you should check it out.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

Didn't say the sky was falling. Can the UGA D get close to the level of the '21 and '22 D's? IDK. Based on Game 1 there is a long way to go. Only 3 worse showings in 47 games is not elite.

Let's say the D (lacking JCarter/Ringo or Davis/Wyatt or Dean/Walker's) is a little below '21 and '22. And the '23 O is a little below the '21 and '22 O (less at RB Cook/White, McIntosh), less on OL (2x JMoore runner up), less at WR (Pickens, AD) , and less at QB (SBIV vs Beck is a push IMO). Is that enough to 3 peat?

Does CKS want to count on freshmen (44,55, RRob) for critical PT in the biggest games? Need a lot of guys to step up. Bear and AD would be nice additions to this team.

• Options

I think you have a very pessimistic outlook on the team. Every year we have some freshman contribute and some sophomores show up. Nothing new here.

Our secondary is better, our inside linebackers are better. Our outside linebackers need to grow but the talent is there and they should be fine by mid season (they need to set the edge). Our DL is about the same as last year but will be better than last year by mid season. We have 4 guys that are younger but more talented. 44, 55,52,93. I think be season's end we will be better than last year but not as good as 21. The difference is the DL in 21 was a one in 20 year DL. However, our secondary in 23 is better than 21s. So we will be close by end of year imo.

The offense will be better by end of year than 21 and 22. Just my opinion but that is what I think.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

Pessimistic or realistic? Is your optimism for across the board improvement/development by mid season realistic? S/STAR, ILB (depth) and prob ST's are better than '21. CB? A lot of unrealized potential so far. OLB a long way to go. 32 and 7 have not shown much. For this D to take the next step 2 OLB's need to emerge as future All SEC type players. DL is definitely not as good as last year. JCarter was a unblockable force. Dominated in the TN game. No one on this team is close.

Freshmen are believe it when I see it. There are 25-30 freshmen per year. 1-3 contribute significantly. Less than 10%. That is not pessimism. That's probability. Why would you expect 44 and 55 to be able to do what 88 and 99 couldn't do as freshmen? The fact that you can look at the last 47 games and see only 3 times when teams ran for more yards than UTM (!) did tells me something needs to be coached up.

• Options

40 percent of those yards were because the edge wasn't set. That gives me confidence this will get fixed. Will it get fixed by game 2. Probably not. We've got Marvin Jones Jr. Chaz Chambliss Darris Smith Jalon Carter Damon Wilson Sam M'Pemba. Now I hope between those 5 guys we have 2 who can set the edge.

Yes I belive Kirby will get that right. The biggest problem is the edge. The second biggest problem is the interior DL.

• Options
    edited September 2023

40% of those yards, were also racked-up by the QB. And, most of "those" yards were on a single run at the end of the 1st qtr. Marinade on this, if you will....A "Real Game" vs a "Practice Game".

1.] UGA....27 guys accounted for 56 tackles against an over-matched opponent....the week before playing, another...over-matched opponent.

2.] UTM....23 players accounted for 65 tackles

LSU vs FSU

FSU put this one away, early in the 4th, which allowed both teams to get some of their backups, "playing-time" at the end of the game.

2.] LSU....17 players accounted for 69 tackles.

3.] FSU....23 players accounted for 65 tackles

Using the "Kirby Method", which places emphasis on "Player & Team Development"...UGA got more players involved with a fewer play-count...than any of the other teams. Schematics and physicality is "LEARNED" in practice and used against your opponent "strategically".

"With great power...comes great responsibilty [to use restraint].". Crushing an over-matched opponent is useless...if you got nothing out of it. And, let's face it...UTM and Ball St are merely practice games.

IMO....As the Defensive Captain or Coordinator....my overall goal would be to limit opposition "scoring" and get as many guys in the game, as possible. Let everybody lick their "Post-Fall Camp Wounds" and power-up for another October-November run.

In other words...take advantage of the hand you've been dealt. Not many teams get this opportunity...including UGA. That's why everybody's whining about UGA's schedule.

• Options

I dig the stats. One thing people are missing is we didn't exactly tear it up last year with Samford and Kent State. So I'm not concerned about what happened last week but I know Kirby and the other coaches were working vigorously to correct some things. This is to be expected. I don't know if I will be watching the game live today but I expect us to look better.

• Options

This year has been an odd start to the football season...at least, for me it has. Lol.

It doesn't feel like the season has started, yet. I've only seen a couple of really good ball games .. compared to several, last year. And, one of those, was a HS Game. Another was Colorado...of all schools.

Lol...I'm kinda lookin' forward to seeing the Colorado vs Nebraska game, today. And, questioning my sanity...cause, I usually don't buy into "hype". I guess I'm curious. Is it "hype"...or, is it "real".

Question one...If, either of their two weapons "goes down", or "has a bad game"...do they still have a "team"?. And, question two....can they "stop" anybody...or, will they depend on winning "track meets" every week.

Maybe, it's the UGA scheduled that makes this feel like a preseason experience. Lol They usually start the season out with a pretty good opponent...then, go to their FCS menu.