Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football injury report: Amarius Mims to have ankle surgery

SystemSystem Posts: 10,649 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football injury report: Amarius Mims to have ankle surgery

ATHENS — Georgia head coach Kirby Smart provided some key updates on the offensive line and running back position following the team’s win over South Carolina.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, right now, we have Edwards and Jones at running back (plus Clark and Whitehead)? Yikes. If this keeps up, Edwards is going to get a lot of carries. Maybe we will have a thousand-yard rusher.

Not so worried about the OL, though. Yes, Mims is a major talent. But Fairchild and Truss played really well.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Next man up. Good thing we recruit well. This is crazy what we are going through.

Bell to running back today. Let's go!

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭ Junior

Word I heard last Thursday was 84 pushing to dress AUB game but is day to day. My personal thought is we could see Ladd not play at all this season due to the back issues and that would be a huge obstacle to overcome for this programs season goals.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smart needs to re-evalate how much striking and good on good they do each week. I said on here a week or 10 days ago that our injuries are our biggest problem that could derail the quest for a 3 peat. Not our opponents! Imagine if all our projected starters were actually healthy! JUst do cardio and strength training and maybe just do some one on one 3/4 drills. Ridiculous the injuries.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Longest injury list in Courson memory. So many listed as "out." Kirby must address this. Are other teams plagued with these many injuries? Mims will be out til end of season...likely. Ladd McConkey may be back in weeks to come. Next man up is good as long as you have that next man. UGA frightens me with the number of serious injuries players receive. Fifteen at last count. A few are probable. My brother, Penn State fan, says UGA needs to dial back on pre-game practices...Penn State doesn't come clost to these type injuries. Many injuries occur in practice and show up in games. Pray a quick recovery to the injured. SEC is upon us.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

I don't foresee Mims being back at full strength and in top playing form & endurance during the regular season. Maybe we get him in the post-season. Hate seeing Roderick go down with an injury. High ankle sprains can take months to fully heal (we saw that last season with another key WR) - especially if he doesn't get surgery. I guess it depends on how bad it is.

This injury list looks abysmal for only having played 2 patsies and one SEC opponent. Gotta hope we get some of these guys back sooner rather than later.

And we've got to find a FG kicker...

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA doesn't NEED Ladd or any other player, to win games...until the 2nd half of the season. I say...if you can rest all of em...do it. That's a huge competitive advantage, that Kirby should exploit as long as possible.

The only thing that slows the Dawgs down...IS the Dawgs. Play calling is 90% responsible for Saturday's "slow start" against Carolina. I believe it was engineered that way, by the Coaching Staff...in much the same way as last year's Mizzou game.

Projecting Physicality and imposing your will, in order to make the opposition "quit", were the "Order of the Day", Saturday...IMO. Kirby didn't allow Bobo to turn to page 2 of the "playbook" until the 3rd qtr., attacking the perimeter. It was obvious to me, that....UGA could've moved the ball in big chunks, anytime they wanted to.

The Dawgs are much better than most of the paid "gumflappers" are saying...cause, they think you need to toss a few 75 yard'ers to be relevant.

If UGA can run all over ANY SEC Team, and shut em out in the 2nd half, the way they did SC, Saturday...using 10% of the playbook...with almost a whole team, on the injury roster...That's real Dominance. It ain't "2020 Pretty"...it's "Old School Bad-Ass".

People better recognize...this is no normal team or Program. They are beating people with a partial playbook...using a partial starting cast of characters. Wait till they open it up, in two weeks against Auburn. That's the game to circle. Everything, from game one...to now, has been in preparation for the SEC Season and CFP.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hate to see any injury occur with any football player. Hoping for a full, and speedy recovery for Mr. Mims..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 358 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm with you. That said, just as the NFL is focusing on artificial turf being a major issue, I still wonder if our practice injuries have anything to do with the new field a few years ago. Would be good for someone to investigate 🤔

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Mims only needs the Tight Rope and not a fixation plate to mend a broken fibula, he'll be back before the season ends.....good to know we're in "Good Hands" til then and a phenomenal opportunity for some freshmen! I expect some interesting realignments on our O-Line this week.

YEP, Woodring was not on his game......he's as "fresh" as a player can be and needs experience to get to where he kicks in practice.....I'd say give Zirkel a shot at EP's and if he nails them see how he does on some short to medium FG's....let's keep the competition going!

Ladd is a total mystery......if it's just a strain or sprain, therapy will get him back by mid season....if he has a spine injury...say a herniated disk...maybe trying to allow it time to heal through therapy and avoiding surgery....if it were more serious, I'm sure he would have had surgery by now.

This would be a great week to see what Clark and Whitehead can do running the ball.....especially high on Len Neth as he has experience and he smartly left Rocky Top!

BigDawg61, Great comments....we're on the same page.....our talent and depth are way better than any team we face in the regular season. We have the best coaching of any team in D-1. The mark of a truly championship team was made by KS.....down 14 to 3 at the half our Defensive and Offensive teams were huddled together planning how to come back rather than throwing blame around or B&Ming about the weather or field conditions or maybe we need to get the Varsity to send more Chili Dogs to the chain crew!

• Options
    CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The injury bug can happen to anyone, anytime. I hope this year is the exception. I bet if Kirby's teams practiced like Penn State, UGA would not have back to back championships. Not being prepared for contact in a contact sport, can be problematic in itself. Listen to the players from UGA in the NFL. They all say UGA's practices helped put them in and prepare for the NFL. If you ask me 10 years ago about limiting injuries for college players, I would probably be all for it. Today, not the same. Number 1, players are coming to UGA to chase their dreams and secure their families financially. Number 2, today's college players have the NIL. They are no longer amateur athletes in my book and they are aware of the risks. There are former players and recruits that decide to go somewhere else because they are not willing to play within Kirby's system. I am sure Kirby lets all recruits know what is expected, as well as, the reality and risks of SEC football. Not for the faint of heart. I know Kirby loves his players and I trust between he and Ron Courson that they will make good decisions about the well-being of the UGA players.

• Options

A lot of the injuries are "non-contact injuries". Hitting in practice, has very little to do with those...and, you're always gonna have em....if you practice right. Most of the guys sitting, probably could've played...if they were facing "OSU, FSU or LSU"...NOT..."UTM, Ball St. or Carolina". Unnecessary exposure to further injury.

In fact...Lane Kiffin [former Bama OC] had to convince Nick Saban to rest the WR's more, early in the season...so, they would be healthy and strong, at the end of the season and in the Playoffs. Bama didn't start experiencing injured WR's at the end of the season...till, after Kiffin left for Ole Miss.

I think Kirby is being extremely cautious and using incredible restraint, keeping a lot of those walking-wounded out, despite the Media & Fan blowback. As usual...he's playing "Chess", while everybody else, is thinking "Checkers".

IMO...The only reason Bowers has had as much "playing time" as he's had...is because his name is in the mix for "The Heisman". Same, with Beck's "Stats"...otherwise, UGA wouldn't have had to throw a pass further than the LOS.

Lol...Kirby is playing the "media game", just a little bit. I think he's proud of the fact, he has everybody "doubting UGA"...again. If anybody else was playing worth a flip...UGA would've dropped a notch or two in the "Rankings". Kirby probably looks at the fact, they are STILL #1,...[after 3 cupcakes]...as a "Fail". 😂

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So here is some news for fellow Dawg fans about Ladd that you will not get on this site for likely 3 to 5 more weeks after hearing about him being “almost back” or “looks great this week”, like we heard for 8+ weeks last year with A.D.:

Ladd is likely out for the season. Georgia will probably medically red shirt him in hopes his spinal injury recovers fully without the need for surgery.

If not, he will have to give up the sport and not play next season if ever again for his overall health and well being; not worth risking his back any further injury or him to any more pain that he may have to deal with for life as is the case with most spinal injuries.

You heard that info here first, 9/18/2023.

All you will hear from the AJC, this website are vague mentions of a back injury, unknown timeline, may play next week or may not, great week of walk through practice but not quite there yet, yada yada yada.

Not hear that he has a serious spinal injury that will likely prevent him from seeing the field again this season without surgery.

So send prayers to Ladd in hopes that his back miraculously gets healthy before the season ends, but it seems that Mother Nature & God has determined his small frame and stature are not as durable and big as his heart and effort(which is SUPER) to play the contact sport of football any longer.

Happy he got a ring and was a big part of that Championship team last season, wish him the best.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No disrespect and certainly no sarcasm but where are you getting this info. on Ladd ?? Is this speculation on your part due to the nature of the injury, or do you have “insider” info. from family, close friends of his, or trainers at UGA ?? If your just speculating I sure hope your wrong. Your scaring the heck out of me !!

We Need Ladd McConkey badly !! Plus he’s one of my personal favorite players on the team. Again Absolutely zero sarcasm or disrespect to you. But you mentioned his size and how it’s a negative for him playing football. Well if that’s the case Mews in particular and Cash Jones are in deep trouble !!

I hope this is just speculation based on the nature of his injury on your part. And I hope your wrong. When his injury was initially reported it was said at That time to be muscle spasms from a severe muscle strain in his back.

So I did a little research and right off the bat two different medical sites said it could take up to Six Weeks to resolve. If that’s the case it coincides pretty much with the time line on McConkey’s injury. If it turns out your right and he’s done for the season, I guess it’ll be what it’ll be, but it sure will be a tragic thing in my book. And will be a serious stumbling block to the Dawgs getting a 3Peat !!

• Options

Get well soon Big Amarius Mims !!

• Options

Don't sweat it, Navy. If Ladd was that bad off...neither, UGA nor McConkey would play around with it. He would've already been scheduled for surgery and declared "out for the Season".

He's hurt...not injured...IMO. It's more than likely precautionary. Aside from the impact to Ladd's career, if he doesn't return...this is barely a speed bump on UGA's road back to the playoffs. The Dawgs will survive with or without McConkey, in 2023. Their WR Room has never been deeper and more talented.

Looking at the team, as a whole...WR's aren't the only QB Targets installed in the game...in UGA's Offense. The TE's and RB's also support the passing game. I don't think many people realize, that the Dawgs moved the ball up and down the field using only a handful of plays and a roster full of 2nd and 3rd teamers.

They stalled in the "Red Zone" a few times...mainly due to Kirby's challenge. Schematics were removed from the equation. It was about putting a hat-on-a-hat and moving people around at the LOS and point of attack. Kirby and Bobo, could've obviously called some creative plays, that would've made it "easier" on em. But...why would you do that, against what is expected to be the least of your opponents?.

You gain nothing, by laying all your cards on the table, this early in the season. I believe Bobo has a whole different offensive in store for Auburn. No way, Kirby is underestimating Hugh Freeze. They have some history.

• Options

@BigDawg61 Good comments as usual my Bro. !! 😃 Nah my wife and I are Big Ladd McConkey fans. I’d sure hate it if his season was really over. I don’t know just fell in love with the guy ( Not the wrong kind of love Lol) when Kirby went to watch him in a basketball game and offered him the next day.

He was primarily a QB in HS. Im not sure but it’s possible he’d never even played a down of WR. A three star player. NOW look how far he’s come !!

Im a Mews and Cash Jones fan to. I Love UnderDawgs that flame up and shine big !! That’s one of the main reasons I loved ( still do) ole Stets so much !!

Your Absolutely and Totally right though. This TEAM is much bigger than Any one player or even two or even three. And absolutely they Can and Would win without Ladd.

I just hope that the comment posted about him being out for the season was opinion and Not accurate insider information. NOT taking a shot at the poster, just saying I hope that’s his opinion only.

As I understand it, from what I read early on in his injury, he had a severe back strain that led to muscle spasms. According to two different medical sites I saw it can take Up To six weeks to resolve. So if we look at his injury time line that would coincide with it.

My Bro. I Love, Love your positive attitude !! You always have a way of bringing me Uo when Im feeling down !! God Bless You !! I always appreciate and respect your comments !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THE SEC is there for the taking and so is the NC. We have to of course play out the schedule and LSU could fare better against us than last year, but truly we are the team to beat. That said, I still say that our enemy #1 at the moment is the injury bug. I trust that CKS and crew will take the necessary steps to make sure inuuries are not something we will look back at the end of the season and lament and think what if?