Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ohio State A.D. says Buckeyes ‘could have won’ if Marvin Harrison finished game

13»

Comments

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we are confusing great with big. They both can mean the same thing. When you said "greatest" I thought "most punishing". I was a great hit (game changing - breaking up TD). #22 made 1 of the 4 plays that UGA had to make to win the game. It wasn't a "big" (especially punishing hit). Guys sprint over and shoulder guys out of bounds during every football game. Saw a guy do it in the CO-CO St game last week. Caused a lacerated liver.

If '23 clock rules were used last year there is a very good chance there would not have been enough time to come back. "Prior to the rule change, officials stopped the clock on every first down awarded. Now, they’ll only stop the clock after a first down in the final two minutes of the half." There were a combined 16 1st downs in the 2nd half before the UGA TD w/54 secs. The clock stopped 16 times it would not stop this year under the new rules. Running clock certainly could have (like I said) meant 54 seconds of game clock would have run off in the 4th Q w/ no stopping on 1st down or out of bounds until the final 2 mins.

Based on the 1st 3 Q's of the game I think if UGA coulda played different ("approach") they woulda played different. Whatever CKS's "planned approach" was it wasn't working for 3Q's.

• Options
    SufferinginAtlantaSufferinginAtlanta Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ Junior

Isn’t it insulting to the other receivers to keep making these comments?

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SufferinginAtlanta Agree, insulting to everyone who played the game --- the UGA coaches who adjusted, the Ohio State players who WOULD have won if they made the FG or their coach not blew a third down play call and insulting to the fans

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JUst cant afford to fall behind and expect to make a miracle comeback against a good team. THe new clock rules(which I abhor) just won'tallow for that. NOt saying it won't haopen from time to time, just way less often. MORe fans will start leaving games at the start of the 4th quarter if their team is up by more than14. Is that what college footballl wants?

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The amazing thing about this ridiculous whining is that it was such an OBVIOUSLY CLEAN PLAY. That's why they reversed the call: It even met the standard of "indisputable evidence." N-o d-o-u-b-t.

A half-second earlier, it might have been interference; a half-second later, Harrison might have held onto it. If Bullard hadn't turned his body at the last split second, it may not have been reversed; if he hasn't slammed into him so hard and so high, Harrison might have held onto it.

As the season wore on, Bullock went from being a good DB to becoming one of the very best in college football. The play required initiative, speed, strength, great body control and the intelligence to avoid targeting.

This constant whining by the OSU leadership (not just the fans!) unfairly casts a clean player as a villain -- all to excuse their failure yet again to win a championship to their deep-pocketed alumni.

If they think the rules are too rough for their players, maybe they should make fencing or women's golf into their marquis program.

• Options
    rconlanrconlan Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

The hit was clean you babies

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He didn't like it because it was overturned because of clear video evidence. BUt he still insist(implies) that it was targeting/unnecessary roughness. So, to me, he's insinuating the refs cheated them out of it. THose bad PAc-12 refs. I would think as an A.D. the NCAA might want to reprimand him. THere were so many penalties during a game that don't get called, I wish someone would make a montage of all the O-line holding Ohio St. committed that wasn't called and send it to him.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2023

Add that ole Marv stepped out and thus became an ineligible receiver plus had the PAC 12 ref's called 1/2 of the holds on TOS, the game would not have been close and ole CJ would not have finished the game.....If I were you Geno, I'd dry my tears and figure out how the Bucknuts are going to go to the land of Touch Down jesus and eck out a win this Saturday......Ole Sam is going to pick you apart and ole Audric is going to run it down your throat.

Geezzzz I hate pullin for either of these slugs but I'm goin with least repulsive.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not from nothing....but, a study was done recently, on how the new clock rules effected the first 3 games of the season across the board. It was cited by Kirby Smart in a recent interview.

Results of the study, to-date....[resulted in an average of 5.5 fewer plays per game]...amounts to ~3 plays fewer per team.

Meaning...if the rule was in effect for the OSU vs UGA game...OSU would not have had time to get into range, for a last second FG. UGA, on the other hand...could've run the clock out, before their final score, leaving OSU with no time on the clock.

• Options
    JustVisitingJustVisiting Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman
    edited September 2023

This might be a case of UGA fans looking for an excuse to be offended.

I'll go out on a limb and bet I'm the only one in this discussion (including the author) who has actually seen Gene's comments in context. He was testifying before a Congressional Subcommittee and Rep Mfume invited comment on the need to remove emotion from decisions in deference to athlete welfare. Gene simply answered the question and chose the MHJ situation as an example where that was done. Obviously the coaches, OSU fans, fellow players and Marv himself wanted him to return to the game. Heat of the moment and emotion might have led to risking his welfare, but independent oversight led to a wiser decision. Seems like a good case to cite and it was right on topic.

At no point did Gene complain about the hit. He mentions it in passing, saying "...he'd had a bad hit, so we took him out." In that context, "bad" obviously refers to the severity, not the manner of the hit. There was zero mention of the call at all. Despite that, posters to this forum have convinced themselves that he spent an hour or so implying, insinuating and insisting it was dirty. But who needs any evidence before implying, insinuating and insisting that a decent man lacks character?

There is an article on 11 Warriors (OSU equiv to DawgNation) about Gene's testimony. That article includes a video of the full session, so you can go see it in context if you care to actually learn the facts. As of 5 min ago there were 131 comments, almost all discussing the pros and cons of NIL (the actual subject of Gene's comment) and not a single one about the hit or non-penalty. I also scrolled back through the last few months of articles and forum content there and found nada re those subjects. There seems to be a lot more content here about tOSU whining than actual whining by tOSU (at least about this topic, plenty of other whining about other stuff).

The most delightful irony is this...in an article written to criticize tOSUs inability to forget a disappointment from 10 months ago, the author deems it appropriate to dredge up the 2018 CFP and imply/insinuate that Gene Smith bears responsibility for UGA missing the playoffs. Of course, CFP votes are anonymous, so no one knows how he voted. It is entirely possible that Gene voted in favor of UGA, but why let a complete lack of facts get in the way when given the opportunity to cast blame about a 5-year old slight?

All told, this seems like a case of the pot calling the kettle whiny.

You may now downvote me into oblivion.

• Options
    JustVisitingJustVisiting Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman
  • Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OSU is a great program. Unfortunately for them they hired Urban Meyer a totally soulless man devoid of respect. I liked them a lot more before he was hired as coach.

I like Ryan Day and think he is a decent coach. Hartline will probably be the next OSU coach but we shall see. After OSU loses to Notre Dame this weekend we will not have to hear from them again til next year.

Don't have the time to go visit 11 warriors and really don't care about OSU. I did win a very expensive bottle of bourbon from my OSU friend and Naval Academy buddy. I will be tasting it in a few weeks here when I go visit him. At his kids weddings I talked OSU Georgia with many OSU fans. They are a good bunch imo and know we have something really good going down here. They know they are close and want the same thing. I did not sense anything but genuine envy and respect. Midwesterners are good solid people. They have the qbs and the wrs and we have the defense. We want what they have and they want what we have.

I'm sure we will play them again soon if not this year then maybe next year in the expanded playoff. I am most excited about getting to see old friends (made lots of friends in my travels who are fans of many schools) and an excuse to visit some other stadiums. Bring on the expanded playoff.

As to the poster above. Thanks for the post. I gave you the downvote you asked for.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If they were Ohio State University instead of THE Ohio State University they would have won the game.

(What I said above makes about as much sense as what the AD said.)

Tosu sücks!

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    edited September 2023

Who...freakin'...cares, what he meant, or the context surrounding it. I'd venture to say MHJ was not the only player that took a hit in that game...and he wasn't the only one to miss playing time, due to injury.

The fact, they still want to reference that particular play...in ANY venue...warrants every single comment on this page.

Now...you can go ahead and "vote me down", with your half-assed, self-serving logic. Lol...I don't care.

BTW...Is that what you think? You think that "Gene" voted for UGA and not OSU? I'm just asking...so, I can determine where to file your comments. I'm thinking, right now....that I'll file it under "FOOL". But, I like to be sure. I don't want to "assume", based on "just the facts".

• Options

"As to the poster above. Thanks for the post. I gave you the downvote you asked for."____888

"And I hewped." ____Shake 'N Bake commercial. Lol

• Options
    Bill71Bill71 Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

Maybe the Dawgs will get to meet the whiners in a playoff game this year! Lol, call the chaplain!

• Options

Lol right!?....I have a feeling, they won't have just "one injured or shook up player" to talk about, next year. Blood in the water. Keep talkin' OSU.