Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jamon Dumas-Johnson explains why he’s only been ‘average’ this season

SystemSystem Posts: 11,080 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageJamon Dumas-Johnson explains why he’s only been ‘average’ this season

ATHENS — Georgia linebacker Jamon Dumas-Johnson is the vocal leader of the defense. He’ll bark out calls on defense and hold teammates accountable.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WCHWCH Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We need Dumas-Johnson and the rest of the defense to start playing at their level. If they stay at better than average and don't become the dominators that they have been for the last two years, we won't repeat. Auburn is a big test for us this Saturday and we've got to dominate and take their fans out of the game. If we do that, we can beat them by 4 TDs. Go Dawgs!!!

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. Agree. “Take their fans out of the game”. Need to do that as Early in the game as possible. And Keep it that way. Squelch out any hope.

We don’t know who will get the ball first, but a Very Nice way to start would be us score a TD and them have a very quick three and out. I bet you’d notice some decibels drop in the sound !! If TAMU beat Auburn our Dawgs should Also beat them Even though it’s at Their house. Now because it IS at Their house the road will be tougher for our Dawgs than it was for TAMU.

So you hit the nail and drove it through the board !! We need to score Often, hold Them to three and outs and Take Their Crowd Out of the game. Crowd noise/support Is critical as our own fanbase has shown !! Go Dawgs !!

• BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just don't understand how a guy that is looking at potentially being a 1st or 2nd round pick can be happy with his performance. Average this year will get him selected in the 5th round. He needs to be a heckuva lot better than average. It is actually a bit disappointing seeing him miss so many tackles against non-elite competition. He had more missed tackles in 1 game then Roquan Smith had in an entire year.

Kirby needs to get him to perform or start taking away his reps. You cannot be a leader if you do not perform up to your ability. No one will respect that.

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While the D has played below our expectations, humble leadership like this gives me great confidence it will get fixed and be enough to win games. Compare this leadership with what we witnessed on Saturday with Colorado, and it really does support the elements of substance beats style every time and produces wins. We may be entering the part of the season where teams will challenge the middle - I’m thinking Kentucky especially - and they will get opportunities to change the theme. Go DAWGS

• 87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

Comparing the inside LB play this year to the last two years is apples to oranges because these guys don't have the same DL this year. Inside LB play depends on the DL eating up blocks and occupying the OL; I don't see that happening this year like it did the past two years. When the Dawgs had three DOMINANT DTs, it freed up the LBs to run and make plays. Penetration from the DL forces the offense to run wide and allows the LBs to use their speed to get to ball carriers. Everything on defense, just like offense, is connected. Kirby said before the year began, he didn't see any consistently disruptive DLs. This defense won't be as dominant as the past two years, which we as fans will have to accept.

• CWdawg1979CWdawg1979 Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amen to that. I have said on many posts on the forum that the inside linebackers don't have the same sideline to sideline coverage without the confidence of know either Jordan or Jalen are eating up the middle.

• WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 263 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Respect him holding himself accountable and his self awareness. A sign of a leader.

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 483 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@87Dawg_11

100% correct, and well put. In 2021 there was always someone on the DL that had to be double-teamed, whether it was Jordan Davis, Devonte Wyatt, or Travon Walker. In 2022 it was all Jalen Carter (though the double team didn't seem to slow him down very much). This was a tremendous advantage for the Dawgs defense in exactly the way you have described it. It can happen again in 2023 if someone like Brinson, Stackhouse, or Williams becomes "that guy".

GO DAWGS

• JimBobJimBob Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

At least he is self-aware that his play has been only average, whatever the reason. I think he will get it together and do a better than average job. Maybe the lack of dominate interior line play is part of the problem, but I do not think it is all of the reason for his play.